1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh not another change! PMC / B+W

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Smurfin, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,831
    Shortly before Christmas I took delivery of a pair of PMC TB2+ and the matching centre, all in cherry, and they've happily sat in my system partnered with the B&W ASW850 sub, with M&K K4s bringing up the rear. The sound is utterly fantastic and I'm extremely happy with them.

So what, you might ask, is the thread for this thread?

Well, I've in the position of being offered a pair of B&W 805S's and the HTM4 centre...for a very reasonable price, due to a cancelled order. So reasonable that it's difficult to ignore. And I'm curious...has anyone directly compared the PMCs to something like the 805s or 805 Signatures? (which I believe are comparable to the new S models). Movies and music is generally around 80/20, although I'm finding myself listening to more and more music (still, movies are the main priority).

Aside from the fact that the B&Ws are aesthetically high quality pieces of kit (I like the look of my PMCs, but the Nautilus speakers are in another league), I wonder how £2600 worth of speakers compares to the somewhat cheaper £1250 PMCs.

Of course partnering equipment is also a factor, I'm using a Pioneer AX10 amp, so I would guess it should be sufficient to drive the B+Ws ok? (only 5.1 so bi-amping the front 2). Has anyone run Nautilus speakers on the end of an AX10?

Any opinions would be welcome, I'd need to be convinced before I change (again!), not only is there cost of the speaker change involved, but also I'd need a new AV rack as the HTM4 is huuuge :suicide:

Cheers
    Matt

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Matt I think you need help, seriously! :)

3. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Matt if they are offering these B&W's to you, they should be willing to arrange a home demo of them. If not I would be really surprised.

Fish

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt i think pidge22 was running 805's off an AX10 so hopefully he might see this thread and give his opinion.

I'll tell you one thing about the 805S is that they take forever to loosen up but they are sounding really good now after nearly 2 weeks of heavy useage.

BTW : Jeff is right you do need Help :D

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,831
    I think you may be right :D

Fish, I will be able to demo the 805s before committing (at home, which is good), just wondered if anyone had done the comparison.

6. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not wanting to add to your woes, but if you're talking £2600 and you like the TB2s, try the OB1s........ ;)

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,831
    If I could get the OB1s for the same price as these B+Ws then I'd be laughing:D

8. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    We'll be calling you "rags" before you know it.

I don't particularly rate B&W speakers, but i do rate the Signature 805's mate.
    I heard them being driven by a mighty Meridian 559 and they sounded top draw.

Adz

9. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Matt

I had a pair of N804 and a HTM1 running off an AX10 and it has the grunt to drive them.

I would recommend you have a home demo though - over time I grew increasingly disatisfied with mine and got rid of them after a little over a year. I appreciate you seldom keep kit that long!!!

Cheers
    Rob

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,831
    Rob

In what way did you become increasingly dis-satisfied with them?

cheers
    Matt

11. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Matt

I've posted on this previously, they just didn't boogie! I think a lot of it comes down to the kit you use them with and the amount of space you have. The 804 sounded great in a large room (estimate 35*20) on the end of a Krell FPB300 but in my room (18*12) on the end of a Primare A30.1, AX10 or Chord 1200c they were lacklustre and uninvolving. Female vocal was good and they were good for crash bang wallop home cinema though.

Increasingly disatisfied is probably the wrong way of putting it. More accurately, I knew straight away that they did not work as well as when they were demoed, changed a lot of kit over the year I had them (partly) to get the best out of them and finally just admitted to myself I had got it wrong and sold them.

Have not heard the new ones though.

Rob.

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    robfitzp - How do the Wilson Benesch compare?

13. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Tejstar - they suit my choice of music a lot better (essentially anything bar classical, country and dance). They are a tiny speaker compared to the 804 but bass is not lacking in comparison and it is a lot faster/tighter. Treble may not be as clean as the 804 but overall it is a better balanced speaker which fills my room a lot more convincingly than the 804 ever did.

That is not to rubbish the 804 - in the demo room I thought they were lovely. I would never go back to B&W though....

14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I wasn't massively impressed with the N805 when I heard them. They weren't bad by any means but they have an edge to them that I would think will grate after a while, particularly with an amp like the Pioneer. Then again, the N805S has the tweeter from the old signature range right? That could solve the problem I perceived.

I was very impressed with the HTM1 though, not sure how that compares to the new HTM4. I didn't like the old HTM2 nearly as much as the HTM1.

BTW, how does the AX10 compare to the 2011? With the lack of suitable pre/pros, it's an upgrade I've been considering.

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been running the 805S's for good couple of weeks now and the new tweeter is very sweet indeed & no hint of harshness at all, i can only imagine what the Diamonds must sound like.

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    And I have the diamonds :D . They sound very nice indeed ! ;)

17. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And they look good too!!!

18. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Matt,
    I have been running the N805 from an Ax10i biamped in 5.1 for sometime now and the Ax10i seems to drive the N805's fine.
    I have however put a Ming-Da Mc-7r preamp between my Cd player (Njoe Tjoub 4000 with unsampler) which is put straight into the poweramp of the Ax10i
    This seems to have taken the harshness out of the N805's that was there before...
    I have read some good reviews about the 805s which state that they are better than Signature's.
    Pidge22