1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh No !!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Drogo, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll be single again .... just gone and done it now .. signed up for Sky Plasma package - whole setup ... about £3500... other half will flip .... already have a Panasonic AE300 for big screen entertainment

Anybody have one ??? what screen is this unit based on ??? also what do you think of the whole deal see here

[​IMG]

2. forrestgump

forrestgump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    why bother asking if you have spent the cash, if I had blown £3500 ona dud would not want to publicise it!!!!

3. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why dud - who said dud ???

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you do a search on the forum you'll find quite a few threads on the Sky plasma.

General concensus seems to be that the Sky plasma is a bit of a duffer and certainly not up to the quality of the likes of Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi etc most of which can be had in one form or another for no more money than the Sky package.

John

5. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So what is the hardware that sits inside the screen

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    If I was going to fork out that much money I'd be asking these questions before parting with my cash.:(

Is the deal finalised or can you put it on hold until your happy it does everything you want it to and find out if it's good value for money?
    Did you view any screens before you chose this one or are you buying it blind?

Your very brave:devil:

7. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Read up on spec - look ok, trying to find out what hardware is in the thing .. not too fussed about DVD surrond system - as have Sony one, also I am buying on Finance, so that in itself gives me time to cancel and refuse, as they come in and setup ...

And if I am not happy it goes back - but come on guys why would this one be a duffer ...

Looks like a good system to me, both in terms od style and spec ..

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    style and spec give you no idea on picture quality and reliability

9. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know that, I've been in AV since the year .dot - have looked long and hard .. as I did when I bought my AE300 in Jan, looked at Panasonic plasma's in Panasonic shop, and while screens look good, there's always the xtras to buy ie: scart boards .. x3 stands wall mounts .... extras ...

So i wanted a simply setup that included everything, can anybody really say that the sky setup is totally duff .. have you seen one running ????

Drogo

10. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So what comes with this package?

You say you've already got a surround system and DVD, so I assume your just getting a plasma and a stand really, well first thing for that much cash, you've been ripped off... Sky is not a brand I'd want and for £3500 no way.

The screen is a SD 852x480, 1000:1CR, 800cd/m^2 and 16.7m colours, this all puts it in to the last years at best, range of plasma's.

You can buy a current 6 series Panasonic (well regarded as one of the best available plasma's) with the same stand for £2937.98 with a deskstand, scart terminal board, scart cable and scart switcher delivered... Saving you over £500 and giving you a good display.... There are of course lots of other options, but I just thought I'd point one out to you.

If you weren't even bothered about good picture quality, then why not just find out who's screen sky are rebadging, probably a techwood, daewoo or samsung and buy one, you could go to somewhere like richersounds where you can get a Daewoo DP42SP for £1700.

By going with Sky your just accepting low quality goods at inflated prices.

Oh and a lot of places will do credit now a days, why not use a credit card with a 0% 6/9/12 month offer and then just transfer to another card, that way you can buy from where ever you want and have 0% finance for as long as you want???

Just thought I'd let you know some options....

11. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Appreciate all your advice .. will see what happens ... did like Panasonic screen when I saw it on Saturday at local Panasonic store it was £2500 for 37" version

12. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When you say you've been in to AV since the year dot, do you mean the year 2004. surely if you've been in to AV so long you must have a better idea of whats available than you seem to be showing, you mentioned looking at a panasonic in the panasonic shop, well if your in to AV you must know that an official panasonic/sony/dixons/currys etc are the very worst places to go for advice or price with things like plasma's or any other high end piece of equipment... Good independants are a much better bet, such as:

Nexnix
    AVSales
    Ivojo
    TMF
    Sound&Vision
    The Bigger Picture

or any other forum sponsor...

13. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL. This thread is a wind-up right?

14. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    But it looks so nice in the picture...

How can it be bad:devil:

15. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    haha looks can be deceiving :devil:

16. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Give me proof that this deal is so bad, does anybody on here actually have it ???

The complete package...

Also when you live in Devon, choices are limited we only have Currys, Dixons, Comet, Panasonic shops .....

No where to go for demos, apart from local Pioneer shop where prices are sky high, well over priced ..

also like I said you pay you money and take your chance, also haven't we all got 28 days to return if not happy ..

Long distance selling act

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I might be considered to have a vested interest, being one of those links kindly posted, others will vouch for my good intentions. There are quite a few threads on the sky deal, all bad. It is a Daewoo, re-badged. This is a rebadged samsung. It's true you can buy the Daewoo for £1700. It's a bad deal cos even pricey people like me sell a whole package with decent sound for that, with a class plasma. Check the links, do yourself a favour.

18. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Very few people on this forum have any interest in slating a product just for the sake of it. Drogo., you posted a thread to ask people's opinions but when they have given you that you choose not to believe them and asking for proof.

Excuse me for saying, but if you are not prepared to take on board what people are saying (and who are after all doing you a massive favour and trying to prevent you buying something which is poor and expensive) then why bother even posting and asking the question in the first place.

19. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you're spending £3500, why would a wee road trip from Devon to say Sussex for a demo be out of the question? Nexnix is near Gatwick and is reputed to have excellent demo facilities and I'm sure there are other places even nearer. If you were spending £35 I'd understand the problem...

20. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No where in Devon to view, try Richer sounds in Plymouth, have 5 plasma's on display and excellent helpful staff

21. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does Drogo work for $ky? or is he just trolling?

22. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Seven Oaks hi-fi in Plymouth or Ex****er
    audio Excellence in ex****er

23. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well we can only try can't we, if people don't want to hear good advice then we can't make them...

What made me laugh was Drogo's claim that he had no where to demo or check equipment out other than the crap stores near by and so this is why he wasn't getting a decent screen or a resonable price, and yet he's ordering an unknown product from Sky, exactly how is that any different than ordering from any of the retailers I've listed above, at least then you can get some advice and choice, what choice do you get with Sky, in fact Drogo, for your £3500 did you actually read up on any plasma's, did you compare models, did you even read a magazine or two, I'd never recommend buying mearly from a magazine review but compared to buying completely blind from Sky with absolutely no idea of your other options, it would certainly be an improvement?? AV since year dot????? Yeah right! :rolleyes:

24. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and suddenly i get all these ****e answers.. or but 1 or 2, i've been looking into this since December last year.. .. so yes I have look at several brands and at on epoint had signed up on the dotted line for a Toshiba plasma .. but again the £4000+ price was high for just the screen, so I opted for a Panasonic AE300 projector again after reading posts on here .. it seems that when one person posts some daft replies, all the other goons apart from one or two jump on and do the same..

Guys, basically I asked for some help and advice .. nothing more nothing less .. yet I get all this 10 year old answers ..

Mod .. please close this thread ...

and those of you that have simply answered with decent replies than you.

Enough said.

25. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry m8, thought you were trolling. :)

26. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if trolling is the right word but a quick search through Drogo's posts will probably help people to know what he's about...

27. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.