Oh no! This is bad news

UK broadcasters target live video streaming site TVCatchup

A website that allows UK viewers to watch live TV, is facing a legal challenge from broadcasters from ITV, Channel 4 and Five, the Financial Times reports. The broadcasters have launched legal proceedings against TVCatchup, insisting that it does not have content distribution agreements in place for their channels. The live video streaming service allows users to access the site from a PC and from mobile devices over 3G and Wi-Fi networks. The broadcasters said they reserved the right to target any service or site they believe to be infringing their copyright or using their content in an illegal, unlicensed capacity.

davenhaze

UK broadcasters target live video streaming site TVCatchup

A website that allows UK viewers to watch live TV, is facing a legal challenge from broadcasters from ITV, Channel 4 and Five, the Financial Times reports. The broadcasters have launched legal proceedings against TVCatchup, insisting that it does not have content distribution agreements in place for their channels. The live video streaming service allows users to access the site from a PC and from mobile devices over 3G and Wi-Fi networks. The broadcasters said they reserved the right to target any service or site they believe to be infringing their copyright or using their content in an illegal, unlicensed capacity.

Only a matter of time. I knew this would happen sooner or later :rolleyes:

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I thought it was only showing freeview channels.

Hence they were free channels (the clue is in the name!)

It's already against the law to watch freeview in realtime (not catchup) on any receiving equipment, so the current law still stands.

I don't really know what they are supposed to be doing wrong, thats in any way different to plugging in a freeview box into your PC

The only people that will be harmed are mobile users who can't plug physical things into their equipment.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
It's already against the law to watch freeview in realtime (not catchup) on any receiving equipment, so the current law still stands.

This is what it does do.

Nuttynutter123

i hope it takes longer than a month lol!!!

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 240

Tempest

Distinguished Member
This is what it does do.

No No ;)

It does the same as a TV, or a FreeView box.

It gives you the ABILITY to watch TV.

If you choose to do so (on any device) without owning a licence then you are breaking the law.

But how can it be against the law to supply the TV in the same way a TV is not an illegal item either, until you decide to watch it.

It's not the picture delivery that's the illegal part, it's you the consumer choosing to watch it without a licence which is the illegal aspect.

surely all they would have to do (worst case) is to insist you click on a pop-up box which says you accept that you must own a valid licence before watching any of these channels.

ensyed

Well, why not request a tv license no when u sign up or login? I have a tv license so I should be allowed to watch.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I've paid my tv licence, i feel i should be able to watch it when, where and how i want.

I really hope tvcatchup doesn't go down!!

It would be a sad say

Last edited:

Giblets2

Hurley: Err... I think you mean doesn't, dude.

v CJ v

I've paid my tv licence, i feel i should be able to watch it when, where and how i want.

I really hope tvcatchup does go down!!

It would be a sad say

Hurley: Err... I think you mean doesn't, dude.

I hope so :eek:

As already mentioned, I would assume it's the consumer that is breaking the law, rather than the website.

A similar argument to torrent sites?

mrm3

I hope so :eek:

As already mentioned, I would assume it's the consumer that is breaking the law, rather than the website.

A similar argument to torrent sites?

They transmit the signal and are the source of the stream.
Torrents sites do not host the files but the users do.
Quite different and even then torrent sites have been closed down too.

Damn it.

Maybe they can apply for license. After all it does not bypass adverts or anything. If they provided CH4, ITV etc with viewer stats it would be very useful information for these companies. In fact better than there current means and increases their audience and therefore advertising rates.

I would boycott ITV but rarely watch it anyway. :)

CaptainJax

Standard Member
They have a nerve. ITV couldn't even cope with the demand for the South Africa game that was just on, whereas I was able to watch it on TVCatchup.

mike7

Distinguished Member
TV Catch-up does, or at least did, operate well outside the direct jurisdiction of UK, European and American courts. They knew from the outset that they were on shaky legal ground. Their case was made on the fact that the Laws around such things had not kept up with the pace of technological developments. There have been several attempts to shut these cowboys down. They make money through advertising along-side programmes for which they make no payment to re-distribute. It is just a matter of time before they go.

BBC and ITV etc started their own streaming services in the hope that it would deter people from using illegal sources. The point is that Catch-up have no way of verifying that the receivers of their programmes are licence payers. People are simply using the service to dodge the licence fee, or so they believe.

Last edited:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Doesn't your TV licence only cover you for the BBC channels as the rest are funded by adverts and even then only for live broadcasts?

I *thought* that it was legal to watch "delayed" broadcasts (a la iPlayer or any of the equivalents) and I have it in my mind that you don't (for example) need a licence to watch/use iPlayer on your PC/iPhone/mobile phone as it's not live...

I could also be completely wrong! :D

Last edited:

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Funny isn't it, especially in the UK, they can make a law and put it on the statute books in about 5 minutes if it's anything to do with screwing the poor motorist out of extra money for driving their car along the roads, but takes them decades to even think about this kind of stuff.

Its still illegal in the UK to copy a CD you have bought in a shop onto your MP3 player.

We have a country full of criminals technically.

justdoit

TV Catch-up does, or at least did, operate well outside the direct jurisdiction of UK, European and American courts. They knew from the outset that they were on shaky legal ground. Their case was made on the fact that the Laws around such things had not kept up with the pace of technological developments. There have been several attempts to shut these cowboys down. They make money through advertising along-side programmes for which they make no payment to re-distribute. It is just a matter of time before they go.

BBC and ITV etc started their own streaming services in the hope that it would deter people from using illegal sources. The point is that Catch-up have no way of verifying that the receivers of their programmes are licence payers. People are simply using the service to dodge the licence fee, or so they believe.

Who says that tvcatchup are cowboy's??? Sure they are using a loophole to provide this service but so what! Personally I'm delighted at their service, I can view channels that aren't available in my area thanks to freeview not being available and not enough space available on freesat owing to $ky monopolizing uk satellite streams on the Astra satellites. The TV companies should be embracing this new service not trying to close them down!

pwood

Well it seems stupid to me for the commercial channels to complain. I can't ffwd adverts on tv catchup so they are being seen which is the whole point is it not. They should be embracing it and working with them to mutual benefit.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom