OH NO!!! Robots not in 5.1!!!

F

Family Guy

Dosen't really bother me TBH - but I thought I'd get there before anybody else did...:D

One thing though - and this did narc me off - it does say DD in the planner. Still, we could be living in a country where there's no HD...

Well it bothers me.......why is it not in 5.1.......i started recording it and when i saw it wasnt, stopped the recording !!.....I'm getting well p***** off with sky for doing this ......:thumbsdow

not just me then not getting DD!

***! Well there's another HD movie I won't be watching... hopefully it'll be repeated in 5.1 at some point soon. Not good enough again Sky, if you're reading this trust me if this carries on I will be cancelling, no doubt about it

its even more annoying when you switch to SM1 and find the SD version IS in 5.1!

zAndy1 said:
***! Well there's another HD movie I won't be watching... hopefully it'll be repeated in 5.1 at some point soon. Not good enough again Sky, if you're reading this trust me if this carries on I will be cancelling, no doubt about it
...or at least when your 12 month contract runs out...;)

It really amazes me hat people won't be watching simply because it hasn't got a 5.1 track...:confused: I for one can't wait for films such as Ben Hur, Spartacus and The Robe to be mastered in HD as well as the early Bonds. And if they mess them up by adding 5.1 tracks, I won't be buying them...but then again, I love movies for what they are and have been in Home theatre for 15 years...way beore DD came into the home...

Family Guy said:

It really amazes me hat people won't be watching simply because it hasn't got a 5.1 track...:confused: I for one can't wait for films such as Ben Hur, Spartacus and The Robe to be mastered in HD as well as the early Bonds. And if they mess them up by adding 5.1 tracks, I won't be buying them...but then again, I love movies for what they are and have been in Home theatre for 15 years...way beore DD came into the home...
I agree. It is obvious that when they do release a relatively new and major movie to the HD channel, they tend to limit the sound quality. maybe it has something to do with avoiding the opportunity of a perfect copy in every respect being made. Whatever, the Pro-Logic II soundtrack still sounded great on my system and after all, it is the improved image quality that everyone really wants from HD, DD is just an added bonus.
To be honest, with CGI animated movies, the difference in quality is not so pronounced as the DVD looks pretty darn good to start with. I find movies such as Lord of the Rings delivers a much more impressive step up compared to the SD version.
Robots is not the best of the recent CGI animated movies anyway but I certainly would not avoid it just because the sound is not in DD. The image certainly did look flawless though!

Family Guy said:

You ask why people won't watch a film because it's not in 5.1 even though that is how it was meant to be experienced.
Then you tell us that you wouldn't be interested in Ben Hur etc if it had it's sound altered, you should be able to answer the question yourself.

I was disgusted by the lack of 5.1 on robots this evening. Don't forget we are paying for a premium service. Then there is the fact that we don't even get most of the premiers on HD when they are on SM1. So we are made to make a choice, watch the movie in HD or listen to the soundtrack in 5.1 ! this is not good enough.

Thank god for the BBC HD chanel.

$ky know they have 12months to get their act together..

I wonder what the churn rate will be like next May :)

(or should I say June/July seeing as they couldn't even get the installs done on time)

I don't think the majority of viewers even notice when they balls up the picture or sound tbh.

BOC|Ethan2000 said:
Thank god for the BBC HD chanel.
The Recruit on BBC HD this evening was not in 5.1 either!

Family Guy said:

hmmm good contradiction there. You complain about people moaning for wanting to watch a film how it was made (with a 5.1 soundtrack), then make the sarcastic comment about ben hur etc. Well done, good logic. Personally It doesn't bother me if they are in stereo or 5.1 myself, but I can understand others views on it so try not making yourself look an ass so easily.

I think you are making yourself look like an ass. He's entitled to his views, and I agree with them. Not watching a movie just because the sound track just because it's in Dolby Stereo and not DD, and going on about churn rates just because a couple of movies have been shown without 5.1 is a little immature in my view.

I recorded Robots, and I'll watch it, and will probably enjoy it. But then, I'll be watching the movie, and I won't be sitting there worrying if the sound is 1dB too high in the left channel, or if the picture is maybe a little too green.

T800 said:
I don't think the majority of viewers even notice when they balls up the picture or sound tbh.
I think most HD subscribers probably do

and will probably enjoy it
I wouldn't count on it, but that's got nothing to do with the soundtrack ;) Just kidding, it's not bad. It ain't no Pixar though.

I fell asleep during Robots anyway ;)

Regarding the fact it said "DD" in the planner, note that Grease on Sky10HD *was* in 5.1 yet that only had a "DS" in the planner.

Grease will be an interesting watch (I've recorded it). Just to see how a 28 year old movie stands up in HD. I don't think many cinemas had 5.1 back then, certainly not in Cambridge, where I saw it in 1978.

Nick_UK said:
Not watching a movie just because the sound track just because it's in Dolby Stereo and not DD, and going on about churn rates just because a couple of movies have been shown without 5.1 is a little immature in my view.

I don't disagree, but then again you've just agreed with my point. So would not watching a film if its been put into 5.1 from the Stereo original (Ben Hur etc). My view of it is that right now in this early stage of HD in the UK I take it as it comes, I'm disappointed that more films are not in 5.1 as that was a plus point for going HD for most early adopters and when lots of films turn up with out it then they have a right to be disappointed. Does it stop me watching the film? No not at all, but it doesn't mean no one here has the right to be annoyed about it.

byron_hinson said:
I don't disagree, but then again you've just agreed with my point......

Yes, I agreed with your point, but I think the "ass" comment was OTT, that's all.

If you read other threads from him you might see that differently ;o) hehe. Yeah probably was though!

choddo2006 said:
I think most HD subscribers probably do

I know 4 people with HD, so far non of them have noticed the cropping on Blade 3 or Die Hard 3. They also haven't noticed that some films are in DS and not DD.

T800 said:
I know 4 people with HD, so far non of them have noticed the cropping on Blade 3 or Die Hard 3. They also haven't noticed that some films are in DS and not DD.

Agree with you there, my parents have the HD box, they haven't noticed any of those kind of things, blimey my dad is still trying to realiase he has to go to Sky Sports HD if he wants it to look better!

An option to go to HD content automatically (when avaliable) when on Sky Sports 1 would have been good!

Fair enough - the marketing works better than I thought ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom