1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OH NO !! Now They're remaking The Warriors and Worse Still Tony Scott is Directing!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Kevo, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    :thumbsdow :( :mad: :nono: :nono:

Probably old news but...

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0423512/

Oe of my all time faves and a cult classic The Warriors like many other old, great films is being re-hashed (ruined) by Hollywood yet again.

Don't they have any original scripts anymore ? :mad:

And to rub salt it's being directed by Tony 'mtv' Scott whose films are only good for a quick 10 minute demo of your 5.1 sound system to impress your mates.

I believe it's being set in the present day and there'll be no guns in the film :confused:

There's also a petition to try and stop it being made !

STOP The Warriors REMAKE !

This is too much, i'm still getting over the Flight of the Phoenix remake which I only just found out about after seein the trailer on TV.

One thing good that might come out of alll this, they might release a decent uncut (TV version?) special edition of the origianl on DVD.

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,024
  3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I first saw Warriors and Wanderers (they seem to go hand in hand, those films and a lot of people still seem to mix em up!) in 1982, smack back in the 'video boom' and my adolescent days which is probably why it made such a lasting impression!

In the same year me and and a few mates went to a fancy dress party as the 'baseball furies' ! black and white grease paint, baseball bats and all !
    Four 16 year olds on the march in the snow....all the way back to Old Trafford Cricket Ground :) But we didn't make turn anyone into 'popsicles' along the way ;)

I'll dig out a photo and post it.

Great days

4. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,024
    Great fun. A least you didnt go as the baldies!, p@£$@s with ears!. My i wanted to be ajax when i first saw warriors. Just liked the name back then. I must watch it again.

5. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I blame Eminem for The Warriors remake.

Check out the video for Eminem/D12 "Fight Music".

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    Warriors....come out to play..yay......., Warriors....come out to play..yay......, WARRIORS.....COME OUT TO PLAY...YAY..[ching ching ching] :smashin:

a film i remember which much fondness (one of the early ones we rented when there was probably ONE video shop in the whole of my town district).

wonder what Hollywood will do, once they've desecrated all the originals - maybe remakes of remakes?.... :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

joe

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Please no don't ruin this film.
    This was the last film I ever saw at the cinema :eek: This was when it was first released, so you can imagine how long ago that was.

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Why does a remake of a film deflect on the original...? It the new version sucks then it sucks...it doesn't make the original any worse if thats waht you enjoy.

Personally not a big fan of Tony Scott, but like one or two of his movies..particulary liked Man on Fire quite recently.

9. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,024

A lot of people at my work have not seen the original or even heard of it!, so when all the glitzzy advertising comes up for the new version, they will prob watch it, and if it crap, then would not entertain watching the original.

They are not same as sequels, people always remember the best version.

Also in the future people when talking about the warriors, will always firstly think of the remake, and say oh that was rubbish!, not even thinking that the orig was much better.

So remakes i think can be negative if they are bad, but then again if they are good remakes, people might not care about the originals either!, cant win!.

10. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top Gun, enemy of the state, Spy game, True romance and the Last Boy Scout were all directed by Tony Scott and were all great/very good films. Let's not forget man on fire which I haven't even seen yet, which apparently is another Tony Scott masterpiece! So I don't understand why this backlash against one of my favourite director's?

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Just a matter of opinion.

Your favourite director may not be everyone else's and certainly isn't one of mine

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Baseball Furies Fancy Dress Photos....

The year was 1982, The 'video boom' was at it's peak, I and a few mates all around 16 years old had recently rented out and seen The Warriors (£2.50 from radio rentals :eek: ).

As it made such a big impression on us we all decided to go as the Baseball furies at a fancy dress party.

Finding the clothes was a real hassle. can you believe that hardly anyone sold baseball caps in Manchester back then!

Only one of us had an authentic baseball top so the rest of us had to make do with make shift grey tops!

We used my soundtrack LP (I have the CD and Sol Yurick book too!) of the film to copy the face make up.

Have a laugh on me (i'm on our right on both pics)........

Attached Files:

13. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Hollywood remakes are getting out of control. They should be stopped. The remakes tend to be of inferior quality to the original so whats the point? I think to be fair though Hollywood is only making these for the 'masses' who haven't got the initiative or interest to go and watch the original. The final straw for me was when I heard Willy Wonka was being remade. WHY???? The original is perfect. I just feel that a lot of the public don't care if they see original stories or not, as long as they get entertained for 2 hours.

14. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    Very true, only i would say '2 hour distraction' rather than 'entertained'. Maybe they should start putting a 'text message friendly' logo on some of these films. That way the mobile phone brigade will know that the film wont distract them too much from their favourite pastime.

15. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not to mention all the remakes of French films, remake name in bracket like:
    L'appartment (Wicker Park), Taxi (Taxi), Nikita Point of no return), Retour de Martin Guerre (Sommersby), 3 hommes et un couffin (Three Men and a Baby), La Cage aux folles (Birdcage)

Japanese filmes: Shall we dansu? (Shall we dance?), Ju-on (The Grudge), Ringu (The Ring), Dark water (Dark water - coming out later this year)

Thai and HK films the studios has snapped up the rights for remakes:
    The Eye, Infernal Affairs (The Departed).

Whats next? Ichii the killer, Versus, battle royale, hardboiled, Young&Dangerous??

Hollywood has bought around 10 Korean film rights recently such as:
    Old Boy, Il Mare, A Tale of Two Sisters, My Sassy Girl, My Wife Is a Gangster, Hi! Dharma!, Tell Me Something

In Hong Kong PTU/Running on Karma/Breaking News/Throwdown all recent major successes in HK done by the new superstar director Jonnie To (although he has directed films since 1987), when are Hollywood buying up them?

Or Stephen Chow's all super funny comedies??? Not to mention lots of other funny comedies made in HK.

Outrageous, that the studios will make all the big money for remakes which the majority of the audience (in particular US) thinks its original stuff, and remakes are 9/10 crap compared with the originals. It is unevitable that we will get a huge wave of remakes, but I think the studios should spend a bit of money to re-distribute the originals to the world market, so all get educated and know about these originals and then by all means, see the remake, and come out and say - Hollywood stop, don't do anymore remakes!!!

Wasabi

16. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've always looked forward to a remake since seeing the original about a year ago for the first time. I've always thought that the boundarys can be pushed much further today and more could be achieved.

I found out about the remake a while ago and if I remember correctly, Terrence Winter, who executive produces The Sopranos is one of the writers for the remake. So there may be hope yet as we all know how gritty and violent The Sopranos can be.

I think Tony Scott did a good job with Man On Fire - perhaps between them they can come with something respectful.

The only think that annoys me is the involvement of MTV Films - cue involvement of music stars' (bad) overacting in supporting roles.

17. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man on fire is one of my favourite films of all time

and easily the best film of 2004 for me personly

So i hold out good hope for this one.

18. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,024
    Thought this was dead?, think again, seems like there is still life in this modern remake off The Warriors. Tony Scott says;

19. D-Zyne

D-Zyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Having lived in NYC for many years, I can say with some degree of certainty that moving this to LA is a really bad idea; the city itself is as important as any of the other characters, plus the anarchist atmosphere of the 70's, the gritty low-budget unpolished look of the film, the unrefined performances of the actors..... these are all the elements that make it what it is. Some things just shouldn't be messed with...

If he makes a completely independent film just using the same story line, I'll give it a try. But if he tries to do a 'remake' of the original, then I'm not interested. A "Study of gang culture..."'?

Oh please....:rolleyes:

20. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,279
    No doubt this will be rubbish. Obviously it will be updated so teenagers can relate to it and as there is no gang culture left in NYC they have to move this to LA, where there still is plenty of gang warfare.

21. LanceR

LanceR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    If you read the quote from Tony Scott he states it's not going to be a remake. I think it could be interesting especially if he takes the gritty realism as displayed in 'The Wire'.

22. LanceR

LanceR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Why not include teenagers? Gang culture often has children involved so if you're aiming for realism then indeed include teenagers.

23. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,279
    In the end I really don't care who it's aimed at. It's by Tony Scott, so I won't bother.

24. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,279
    Tony Scott's directing style is the complete opposite of the sober minimalism of The Wire: ponderous, emotionally manipulative at every turn, edited to the point of incomprehension and unable to resist slow motion whenever someone moves faster than at the speed of a gentle stroll. He never credits an audience with being able to discover anything for themselves. The Wire credits the viewer with a certain degree of intelligence, Tony Scott is filmmaking for idiots.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  25. aprout

aprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    I love Tony Scott's films, but the words 'Tony Scott' & 'Gritty Realism' will never belong in the same sentence.

;)

26. LanceR

LanceR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    I understand what you are saying completely I just thought that because of what has been done with The Wire it maybe an opportunity for a film maker any film maker to bring a realism to this kind of film.

27. LanceR

LanceR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    No good point. I don't mind his style either but as Todd and yourself have said realism is high on Tony Scotts agenda.

28. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,024
    True Romance, Man on Fire, Domino as gritty as they get for him then.

29. LanceR

LanceR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Gritty yes, realistic not really.

30. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: