Oh no, not another "what 28 inch TV" thread!!

P

pudsey

Hi,
I am having some trouble picking a TV. It seemed so simple before I found this site!!! Looks like its a good job I did!!

I am after a 28" flatscreen, less than £600. I liked the look of the philips but found out it has problems.

Then I found the sony 28ls35s. Looks cracking, no problems but my girlfriend hates the looks! Doh!

Next was the toshiba 28Z07B. All was fine until we saw in in the flesh and decided against it.

Then I started looking at the panasonic PL1 and the JVC AV28T25S. Looking on here I have found that they have their own problems too.
While pricing up I spotted the AV28R25S, which has better sound and a sub by the looks of things.

We REALLY like the JVC TV's. They look fab and have good stands to boot.
My question is, are the JVC's the same apart from the beefed up sound on the R model?? I quite fancy the extra output!!
Are the associated problems really that bad?? I Know about the tilt and the RGB, it looked fine in the shops when examined. Is the RGB really that bad?? Is there anyone out there happy with this set??

Empiredirect are selling these at £449.96 and £509.26 respectively. Good price? Good retailer??

Thanks for any help you can give! :)

Hi Pudsey,

Deja-vu ... do a search for AV28R25 for further comments / reviews ... but here's a summary :

I have the AV28R25 ... and I'm very happy it.

Yes there are issues with the RGB but I watch DVD's via S-video which is excellent. Sound is awesome and I would definately recommend the R25 model over the T25 unless.

I paid 489 from John Lewis who priced match with RGB Hi-Fi in Ilford.

Kind regards,

Rashomon

My JVC AV-28T25 went back for refund.

Very bad tilt and poor rgb. Also suddenly had large blue staining (purity) in all four corners. After long time switched off the majority of staining went but top right was still noticeable on white background!
If you do buy recommend checking it out in home?:eek:

Thanks for the replies. It looks like luck could be a deciding factor on how good the set is when I get it!

I am glad that there is somebody happy with the set. It's the one that we want. Its a shame that there are so many sets with fundamental flaws. It will get a proper checking once its home!!

Unfortunately I have never heard of John Lewis, there are none around here. Looks like empiredirect.

Thanks again!

:cool:

Pudesy, its your lucky day, at long last I decided on a 28" TV to buy and purchased JVC AV28T25 ordered from Empire Direct, I ordered and rang up yesterday (Thursday) at 10:00 to see about delivery and was told it would be here today (Friday), it arrived as promised at 7:30 in the morning!!!

Set up the TV tonight and so far I am extremely happy with it, the set has no noticeable picture tilt, RGB picture is slightly lacking in contrast (but not major problem to me), however picture quality is excellent. Sound is quite good for a TV, but not amazing.

I am planning on buying an all in one such as Sony DAV so sound is not to important to me.

If I have any problems I will post on here.

PS. Thanks to anyone on these forums that answered my questions on TV's and helped me form an opinion.

Originally posted by pudsey

Unfortunately I have never heard of John Lewis, there are none around here.
:cool:
Oh yes there is, if you go to there site there is one at Cheadle, Tel 0161 491 4914.

By the way I’ve just got a Sony S35 and its, one good looking set, has your girl seen one live rather than a picture?

Originally posted by Garrett
Oh yes there is, if you go to there site there is one at Cheadle, Tel 0161 491 4914.

By the way I’ve just got a Sony S35 and its, one good looking set, has your girl seen one live rather than a picture?

Yes she has and she disliked it more!! :( .
I REALLY liked the sony, and its the one I wanted but we are moving in together and Ive got to compromise somewhere! ;)

Once I saw the JVC, it is a good looking set, and its the one she liked the look of best (she doesnt look at the specs!). Its the only one we agree on.

Also, i live near chester. I wouldnt know how to find Cheadle!!!
I dont mind, the empiredirect price is still a good price (compared to high street price :eek:).

bobble, that is very good to hear, now there are two happy owners to go by. I was worried when I read about the associated problems. And that seems like a very quick delivery!
I will ring up on monday to see if they have one in stock.

Im glad the sound is good too, I cant really afford much more at the moment (new house wiping me out!).

Thanks again, its been really helpful. :cool:

Not pressing you but I just ordered mine over the phone.
It may not be next day delivery as sometimes they do areas, but you get a free 5 year guarantee, that’s if they do JVC. If you ring they are open Sunday, but closed Monday.

5 year guarantee! :eek:

Thats worth a heluva lot of money in itself! I will give them a call.
Will they price match an internet store?

Thanks matey! :)

I just bought a Panasonic PL1 for my dad from John Lewis,
& no they will not price match internet sites.

Yes I asked them for a match with Comet’s Internet price, but they said no, but a 5 year guarantee for an extra £18 is too good to be turned down.

Depending on what price they give me I will get it from them, if its near high street pice, I wont bother, if its £20 or so off, then I dont mind.
:)

pudsey

Did you order one?

I phoned up john lewis but they said they do not stock it :confused: .
So I went for empire direct. I have ordered it online. Should be here soon (not in any hurry coz not moved in new house yet!!!).
£509 + £20 delivery. (the AV28R25S).

Also, regarding the guarantee, I am a stong believer in the "bath tub curve" theory.
ie, the chances of it failing begin very high, then goes very low. At the end of its useful life the chances increase again.
So im not too worried about the guarantee (although it would have been nice!). :rolleyes:
Its got 12 months!!

Thanks again for advice and opinions. :)

At the end of its useful life the chances increase again.
It would do.

Sorry they did not stock the set. I hope it turns out all right for you.
Regards Garrett

It arrived today :eek: but wont be trying it till the new house is ready. Cant wait!!!! :D

I suggest you take a good look at the set ASAP, as many retailers won't replace a set if it's reported faulty more than 7 days after delivery.

Hauled it out of the box today and hooked it up to the cable box.
Picture looks fine, no noticable tilt yet. Plugged the cable into the rgb input and the picture looked great, and in the s vid also.
V impressed! :D

The contrast looked fine. Wont be using it properly for a short while, so will get a better 'feel' of it then (ooh err!!).

Wont be using it properly for a short while, so will get a better 'feel' of it then (ooh err!!).

Man, u are so so patient..I would have to use my new toy now, whatever the circumstances...

Its kinda awkward when there is nowhere to put it and all I am doing is decorating and house bashing!! :eek: I wouldnt have time to use it anyway.
Shouldnt be long though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom