1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh no! Not another Movie!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by ricdiggle, Mar 23, 2003.

1. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm getting really cheesed off at the moment!

I watch a film every night without fail and lately I just cannot stay awake through them.

It's not that I watch too many films, just that I find that I'd rather be asleep than awake during most of them.

This week, I've managed to see two films through to completion out of the seven I've watched.

Here's a list of the films so you get the idea:

Urban Legend - Utter rubbish, fell asleep 25 minutes into it.

Human Traffic - Like being in A Level Sociology with a bad teacher. Managed about 30 minutes of this of this preachy rot.

Dog Soldiers - ooopps someone forgot to aquire a budget for this film! Fell asleep very quickly.

American Pie 2 -Ok so I didn't fall asleep during this one, I just turned it off in disgust after 45minutes and no laughs.

Josie and the Pussycats - Worst film ever made?? I know I'm the wrong gender and age but really this was dreadful.

Now the two successful candidates:

The Princess Bride - Utterly fantastic, how a children's film should be done. I'd seen it many times as a child and bought the DVD to show to my class of 11 year olds as a treat for working hard. They absolutely loved it too.

Chocolat - Not the best film I've ever seen and the PQ was horrid but I liked it enough to watch all the way through.

Now, I realise that this weeks choices were not that great but this happens all the time to me.

Am I just getting very critical and picky about my viewing material or are a lot of films just rubbish?

I could write a list as long as your arm of films I hate but could only manage about 50 that I thought were truely great.

I do beg all your pardons for having a rant.

Richard.

2. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are more bad films about than good ones. You're choices were not that great and include some of the worst films I have ever seen. Amercan Pie 2 I still have nightmares about.

3. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, not sure why I bought it. I never watched the first one all the way through either. Really and truely awful in every way.

Richard

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually liked American Pie 2 more than the first one :)

I would give Dog Soldiers another go mate - I found the first half very slow moving, but then it really picked up. There's some great comic moments in there as well, but they're very subtle :D

Falling asleep is not an indication that a movie is pap anyway, it's an indication that you're tired ;)

5. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree about Dog Soldiers. Great, fun little film. I have actually fallen asleep through some classic films that I have grown to love, but I don't think this applies with the choices above. Josie and the Pussycats? What where you thinking!?

6. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I enjoyed american pie 2 also,i will never forget the experience of watching this film because i was on honeymoon in orlando in a mercado cinema and there was a bomb scare just as the lesbians were kissing so we had to get out and about an hour later we were filled back in and watched it from the start again,the night before we had watched planet of the apes and if only the bomb scare had happened then i wouldnt of bothered going back in,oh and the only other distraction was that oposite the cinema there was a hooters bar!!!!!the new wife was not impressed:D

7. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    American Pie 2 gets a massive thumbs up from me :smashin: , thought it was better than the first one, had be crying with laughter in the cinema and still does so when ever I watch it on DVD. :clap:

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I also liked American Pie 2. I thought Dog Soldiers was awful.

9. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    You may be suffering from a medical condition called "Movie Overload".
    Now, to me, I don't think you have a serious problem
    at the moment, but it is a progressive illness and unless
    you seek help it could get worse!
    This is what's happening.... a part of your brain that determines
    logical thinking gets a little confused when overloaded by
    certain things such as, in your case, watching too many films.
    I suspect you have this problem due to the fact of your choice
    of films. If your brain was functioning logically then you would
    never have chosen some of those films.
    I know someone who had a similar problem to you.
    For a while he had been falling to sleep during films he had
    rented/bought for no logical reason other than he thought
    that he had to watch a movie... ANY MOVIE !
    Now, this went on for months untill one day that forced him
    to seek help.
    Unable to determine the difference between a good and a
    bad film due to the progressive nature of his illness, he
    invited a few mates around to watch what he had chosen.
    As it was going to be a long night, he picked three films -
    Godzilla, Batman & Robin and Speed 2!
    Well, obviously, his mates weren't impressed! They had
    suspected that he had a problem for a while as he always
    stayed in to watch a film rather than go out with them.
    Anyhow, they persuaded him to seek medical attention
    and, thankfully, his condition is now improving.
    He still picks the odd Turkey now and again (he watched
    Pearl Harbor last week!) but he doesn't see as many films
    now as he used to.
    He has also taken up a hobby (ballroom dancing) to take his
    mind off the urges he still has to watch films every night.
    The doctor reckons that, over time, he will get back to normal
    and start to pick films that don't send him to sleep.
    My advice to you would be to see your GP asap. It is a common
    problem so your doctor will be aware of it and be able to
    prescribe the appropriate treatment.
    You are not alone in having this problem. Others are suffering
    just like you. If you do a net search under the headline "My
    Judgement's Knackered Due Watching Too Many Movies" you
    will realise just how many people are like you.
    I hope that I have been of help and that you will soon get
    better. :D

10. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bowenjones - Thanks for that mate, I'll go and see my GP asap.:clap:

That's cheered me up no end. (You'll see why I needed it in a second)

SquirrelGod - I got the jokes in Dog Soldiers, I just thought it was a very ambitious project for a company who obviously had no budget. IMHO they did not pull it off. I know that it's what you don't see that makes a film scary but that was taking the pee pee.

Well after you'd all recommended American Pie 2 so much, I watched it all the way through from start to finish this afternoon.
    No offence guys, but there was nothing funny in it whatsoever. If it hadn't been for the lesbian scenes half way through I would never have made it until the end.:laugh: I agree it was better than the first one though!

Seriously, if you liked that, you'll love Josie and the Pussycats.

So, I've dissed you all for American Pie. As a means for you to offer a retort, these are films I would consider to be very funny:

Spinal Tap - bit obvious but it is brilliant.
    The big lebowski
    Royal Tenenbaums
    Drop Dead Gorgeous - Not a great film but it has some of the best one liners ever.

Each to their own I guess but I just fear I'm getting old as these new comedy films just do not impress at all. I'm only 29!!!:laugh:

11. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank God, I thought I might be the only person on the planet that hated these films after all the publicity hoo haa that surrounded them! Unfunny, uninteresting, underPANTS.

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The first AP was pretty funny but the 2nd film was terrible IMO :thumbsdow

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm 30, so you can't use age as an excuse buddy :p

Re Dog Soldiers, I actually thought they showed too much. Some scenes were a tad too grim for me and you do see a lot more of the lycanthropes than is healthy :D It's not a fantastic film, but I thought it was good.

Anyhoo, if we all liked the same films mate, we'd have a hell of a problem trading stuff :)

If you didn't like AP, steer clear of Road Trip and Van Wilder.

Love Spinal Tap, Big Lebowski and Royal Tenenbaums. Not seen Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Seeing as you like Spinal Tap, you must see "Best in Show" and "Waiting for Guffman". Both are same sort of humour, which you would expect seeing as they're also from Christopher Guest's genius imagination :D

14. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha,
    Road trip was another sleep fest for me. Haven't seen van wilder and will steer clear. Did see, Dude! Where's my car and guess what???

Christopher guest ties in with my first post too as he's the 6 fingered man in Princess Bride. Spooky!

Drop dead gorgeous is an odd one. The film is basically rubbish and children's beauty pageants have been done to death; However, it made me laugh all the way through. Some of Kirsten Dunst's lines are classics. Denise Richards has a truly magical scene half way through it as well. I wont spoil it for you anyway.

Richard.

15. Rygel XVI

Rygel XVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watch one or maybe two films a week and the only reason that I don't watch more is because I can't find any more worth watching. I also have the Sky Movie Channels which are proof of just how much rubbish there is in circulation and in the last year may have watched one film on Sky.

16. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dog Soldiers is a fantastic film from start to finish, low-budget, tongue in cheek, cult horror/comedy at its best. The only thing place where I thought the budget interfered with the film was right at the start where the army patrol is dropped in using a civilian helicopter instead of a military one.

some great lines in there as well...

"If Little Red Riding Hood comes through that door with bazooka and a bad attitude I expect you to chin the bitch!":rotfl:

i didn't think there was anything wrong with American Pie 2 either

17. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I too thought Dog Soldiers was very good, i really liked the begining. The way the soldiers moved through the woods when chased.

Some great one liners

Top Film :smashin:

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's actually the bit of the film I didn't like. Reminded me too much of Predator and I never liked Predator. However, there was that great (albeit grim) bit where

SPOILER ALERT

That blokes guts popped out and the other bloke says, "Well, we'll just pop them back in" :rotfl:

END OF SPOILER

19. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It just looked far more realistic the way they moved. And the bullets flying past was cool too :smoke:

that line was good too :laugh:

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know, I put the spoiler text in blue for a reason :rolleyes: If you quote the spoiler, then the text is no longer 'hidden' :rolleyes: :zonked:

21. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Me quoting it makes it no more visable :suicide: ill edit it anyway. :laugh:

22. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be afraid to pass on a movie. There are a near-infinite amount of bad movies out there. (and Sky Movies have bought almost all of them) Personally, I'd rather miss a few good movies than sit through even 1 stinker.

Also, don't feel that you have to watch a movie just because it's new. I find that most people who complain about seeing crap movies are the ones who don't dare venture out of the "new release" section at their local Blockbuster. A scary place, full of even scarier people.

If you're a real movie fan, do what I do. When there's nothing good coming out, check through a few "best of" lists to see which classics you are missing. Unless you're a true movie historian, I guarantee there are great films out there that you've never seen.

http://www.afi.com/tv/movies.asp

With regards to these movies, I've abandoned all "teen" movies across the board, because I can't stand the ones I've seen. You'd be surprised how many bombs you can avoid by just ridding yourself of this dubious genre. :)

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find teen movies almost always infinitely watchable. They vary in quality, so don't always hit the spot, but they always entertain me in some way. That's me though :)

The films I've found myself turning off are usually those which the critics have loved, like Moulin Rouge. Watching a bad movie depresses me something rotten - I feel cheated out of the time I have spent watching the movie only to find out it's a big pile of poo which is why I tend to turn them off after I've given them ample enough time to gain my attention.

As you say, you must explore films, particularly those you may never have heard of. I tend to browse around Amazon (people who bought this also bought... and... If you like this, you might also like....) and IMDB. I've bought many films this way which have turned out to be absolute classics (Donnie Darko and 13 Conversations about One Thing come to mind) :)

25. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Now you have quoted my spelling mistake :zonked:

26. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gone ;)

But you still spelt 'visible' wrong :thumbsdow :D

27. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes lets all laugh at Geezers spelling mistakes. :laugh: :lesson:

28. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that the Princess Bride is one of the all time best movies I've lost count how many times I've seen that, something for everyone in there. Wish they would do a special ed version

29. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ive heard so many peole say good things about the Princess bride, im sure its ok, but doesnt look like it would appeal to me

30. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that the first time a mate made me watch it, but it's funny, sad, has action, drama and just a good story. so much better than watching a few of the other films that have been metioned in this thread. Worth taking a risk at 9.99 from tesco's.