1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh no! Not again!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by John-D, Feb 16, 2003.

1. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my Tosh 36ZT29B replacement on thursday, coz the original 32" didn't have any tilt control. And, although the picture geometry is very, very good (in-fact excellent). The top left to right's got a downward slope of nearly an inch. Oh sugar! :D

Can this be taken out by a technician? Or will I be changing this set again? It's very noticeable. In fact, you can't stop looking at it. 2.35:1 movies are the worst. Eyes cannot be removed from that area. :rolleyes:

As anyone had this fixed by their dealer? I would be pleased to hear of what outcomes you had?

Cheers,
    John

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It can definitely be fixed by an engineer.

I'd bet there's an option in the service menu for adjusting it, and even if there isn't all they need to do is loosen off the clamp on the scan coil assembly where it clamps onto the neck of the tube and rotate the scan coil assembly so the tilt is gone.

If you've got a set that you love the geometry (and everything else) on then I'd *definitely* not send it back, get that engineer out now!

(or if you know someone local who definitely knows what they're doing ask them to come along and fix it via the service menu)

Make absolutely sure whoever fixes it touches NOTHING ELSE otherwise they could muck up that loverly picture :D

3. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been through the sevice menu, and there's nothing there for horizontal correction. Not unless it's in the designer menu, which Im not gonna muck about with. :eek:

Im gonna give the shop a call, plus Ive sent an e-mail to Tosh (see what they say). The slope is nearly 10mm. Which makes it not in the tolerance area.

I was reading on the 'What Video' web-site, that TV's are adjusted by a computer. Maybe they should use human eyes, seeing that so many people are getting problems!

Glad to hear it can be fixed. :)

Cheers,
    John

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the engineer coming Tuesday. He said on the phone "that all geometry settings are done by computer."

Should be interesting!

John

5. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faggle,

Had the engineer round today, he looked at it, and said "there's nothing that could be done with it."

So, he calls the shop, then makes arrangements for me to have another 36ZT29 sent to me. That'll be 3 TV's since December 28th 2002.

The slope was actually 12mm. What is Toshiba's quality control up to. Sounds like they're on the beer too much!

I've just waited 4 weeks for this replacement.

John

6. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    really sorry to hear of your woes:rolleyes: thats why i ended up changing make altogether rather than try yet another 36zt29b after 3 sets the actual picture was great but just too many other faults(within toshiba,s tolerences) but not mine hope your next one is within yours. i will send you my prayers that it is:)

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same thing as it has always been up to :thumbsdow.

8. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Can't do anything to fix it?

What are these people on? God, I knew more about TVs when I was 8 years old than some of the idiots out there know!

Call the dept that arranges for the engineers to be sent out and complain about the one who's been round to yours (you did get his name didn't you?) and ask for a senior engineer to be sent to you.

For your information (and to help you tell them if they say it can't be fixed again) :-

All CRT tubes fire an electron beam straight out of the neck of the tube towards the flat front of the tube. It hits the phosphor which glows (red, green or blue)

The beam of electrons is "steered" by magnetic fields. These magnetic fields are generated by coils around the neck of the tube.

The coils are wound on a plastic former which is then put over the neck of the tube and a small "jubilee clip" type clamp is tightened to stop the coil assembly (the coils and the former they're wound on) rotating.

If you loosened this clamp and rotated the coils 180 degrees your picture would now be upside down, demonstrating that rotating the coil assembly rotates the picture.

All thats needed to fix your fault is for this clamp to be loosened and the coil assembly rotated around the neck fractionally and the clamp tightened.

Its simple. If you lived close to me I'd pop over and do it in 5 minutes.

I just cannot believe the fools that are out there claiming to be "engineers" nowadays! :mad: :mad: :mad: Makes my blood boil!!!!

*REFUSE* to accept a replacement. This is a simple adjustment. If they cannot do it they should all be thrown on the dole.

Grrrr!!!!!

<fx : goes for walk and a cool drink :D >

9. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    fraggle,

If the picture is rotated slightly, John-D could use the geomagnetic feature to rectify this. However if the black bars of a 2.35:1 film are bent/bowed then, NO THIS CANNOT BE FIXED.

I have had many, many long discussions with Toshiba's engineers and can assure you that every one of them stated the same. Picture rotation YES, straightening horizontal geometry NO!

bibooo

10. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    He said there was no rotation function in the user menus or service menus (which I find difficult to believe in this day and age).

Also to correct horizontal geometry (LHS overall scan height being bigger than RHS for example) there should be a number of thin ring magnets around the neck of the tube, and also a number of small square magnets mounted on plastic pins which can be rotated.

Well, there are in every set I've seen so far.

11. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture is fine on each side, and the bottom, they're perfect.

It's the top of the screen that's got the 12mm drop, so that's why he couldn't alter it. :(

I can straighten the top with the geomagnetic control, but this then puts the rest of the screen out. He said he could rotate the screen, if the top and bottom had equal slopping, but that wasn't the case.

He put it down to the factory. Which is why I'm so peed off that Toshiba state that 6mm is their tolerance level, yet this baby was out by 12mm. Who the bloody hell checks their TV's in quality control? No-one, methinks.

John

PS. Toshiba, I'm not gonna pay £1700 for anything that's duff. So, I'll keep on sending your TV's back, until I get one that's right. Toshiba? Sort it out! :mad:

PPS. Hope buggers look at these sites? :D

12. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, there wasn't any tilt control on the 32" version. That's why I changed it to the 36" version. Coz my speakers were giving the TV some bad magnetic pull, which couldn't be put right in the TV's menu.

Don't know if you were meaning this?

John

13. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a phone call this morning. The replacement TV will be delivered in 2 - 3 weeks. :(

Mind you. The shop was very good, and to be honset, it's not their fault. Must admit, there customer service has improved since my original complaint.

John

14. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I was yes.

Oh well, its a pity the fault cannot be easily fixed. And you're right about the QC, is there anyone actually working there?

Hope your new set is better.

Wonder if the next step will be the customer going down to the production line and picking a set from a bank on show in the QC department? :D :D

15. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a great idea, I wouldn't mind :rotfl:

John