1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oh no not again!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sheep, Apr 16, 2005.

1. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,as some of you will know after two Tosh's i gave up and got the Sammy instead well after just one week i have probs again on a dvd feed via component or hdmi im getting excess green probs(see pics)my test scene is scene 29 of the matrix as you can see everything is bl**dy green including the guys hair,i have tried different dvd's and i get the green prob to varying degrees on all of them but heres the weird thing if i view hd clips via pc or watch sky(any channel)via scart i dont seem to get any probs,i took my dvd payer back to the shop(s97)where we tested it through plasma and projector all seems ok,hdmi lead was also tested,so my conclusion is there is something wrong with the hdmi feed from the sammy or have i pressed a stupid assed button by mistake and its as easy as resetting something please help me before i lose it completely lol i dont want to rant down the phone to samsung until i am sure it is the tv,,but it looks like my love of dlp's is fast dying(oh well plasma's next i suppose lol)
    thanks in advance for any ideas

sheep

Attached Files:

2. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its seriously looking like the RD50 is the way to go for me, my Axium 50" was pretty much perfect, so I guess I will be happy with the RD. Wish I liked the Samsung's picture. SHeep, I noticed the other day you were testing it with LOTR, did you find that it didn't handle detail very well in the dark scenes?

3. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    when i first got the sammy i found it really clear compared tm my Tosh in fact it still is vewry good in all aspects apart from the issue i have with the green via dvd,is it me or can you see it as well lol

sheep

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    sheep: two things -

1: "The Matrix" isn't a good test; most of this film is intentionally green (although, to be fair, not AS green as those pictures would indicate)

2: Your aspect ratio is wrong. You need to get into the DVD playe's menu and change its output to 16x9.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I agree with LV426. Dont use the matrix as a test disc as it was filmed with a green tint to it, ie your in 'the Matrix'.

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    You may want to check your HDMI settings and make sure both ends of the link are set the same (if you can set them that is) - ie RGB or YUV.
    It may, for instance, be that if you set your DVD for YUV output via analogue component, that you then get digital YUV over HDMI, similar for RGB - or some other setup foible!

HDMI can transfer either type of digital signal, but if the receiver is not set the same as the transmitter, the signal could be decoded into the wrong colourspace.

Of course, it could be something else entirely....... :)

7. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What Video & Widescreen TV did mention low-level green blocking noise over deep blacks over hdmi, on thier review on the Samsung.

I did also get it when I had the s97, I did test it with SwordFish. :eek:

The US forums call it green push.

8. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i get the green effect on other films as i mentioned but will check aspect ratio :))

sheep

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Sheep

Sounds like a baaaahhh'd situation. :hiya:

Sorry I couldnt help that one. :D Have you got another dvd player to try it with.

What region dvds are you using, do you get the same results with region 1 as you do with region 2.

On my optoma there is a green scale adjustment, look for it on your samsung it may need fine tuning.

If you arent getting these results on sky then I would say it was your dvd player.

Attached Files:

10. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    hmm u tried different leads? i used my pc via hdmi and i had no greent tint at all. try different leads, different dvd player. u need to see if something else is causing the problem instead of the samsung. if it is the samsung, a firmware update should resolve the problem. alsi i would make sure the cable is pushed in correctly :) :D

11. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the picture doesn't even fill the screen, why is it so small?

no good having a 50'' screen if the picture wont fit, i'd send that tv back..it looks awfall with a small picture in the middle

12. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks for the pic razor will use it lol,i have tried different dvd players,different leads,different connections(component,scart etc)i know the matrix is meant to be green but look at the guys hair and dont forget i had to downsize pic and my camera skill arent that good it is a lot worse than it looks lol i will have a play today with settings but im pretty convinced that when i first tested samsung with matrix there was no green prob my father in law lookes at clips the other night as i stated he is 65 with no real knowledge of av stuff(like me lol)
    he thought it was s**t too!!!

PS and my wife thinks it sucks

Sheep

13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sheep it sounds to me as if your Sammy has left the factory not set up properly,
    a case of poor quality control .
    Get Samsung to send someone round to fix it asap.

14. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    St ve i just went through all settings my dvd is set at 16:9 my tv is set at 16:9 tried matrix,tombraider and city of angels all have black bars at top and bottom as in my pics,all have green probs,areas that seem to be worse effected are on mens stubble lol neos stubble in matrix is bright green,bold chinese guy in tombraider has green stubble and meg ryan has very slight green streaks in her hair???what going on???

sheep

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only been able to get into the RD50's service menu since Simonhod posted the codes for it. There are so many settings u can change that affect picture quality compared to the limited controls you have access to. I did'nt alter anything myself on mine much too complicated i only used it as it gives bulb usage in hours.
    The Samsung's service menu must be similar , if your set can't be fixed with the service menu by the Sammy tech it will need replacing /repairing.
    Does the Samsung come with any preset picture settings like cinema or vivid , if they do is the green tinge still there or is it confined to user picture settings. ?

16. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    green tinge is there whatever setting i apply i have done it all lol
    As i think i said when i first had the sammy im positive there was no green prob.
    sheep

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get those phone lines burning to Samsung tomorrow.
    Any manufacturer will send out faulty sets at times, the good makes are much better at repairing the sets quickly. Hope you get it sorted soon.

18. chaz 2112

chaz 2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    don't know if this helps but recently had similar prob with sammy rptv through component,no red in picture.asked samaung about this and was told the component connection only acceoted prog scan and couldn't be altered.

19. GID

GID
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sheep,
    is your dvd player upscaling ?if so try resetting it to 576p and see if the tint goes

20. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    tried with dvd upscaling,not upscaling,blowing bubbles juggling everything lol it doesnt make any difference so anyway have contacted customer support they are coming on weds

sheep

21. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sheep,pull the power cable from the set and leave it for 10 minutes this should reset to the factory settings.if it's ok then you have done something.on mine the pink in "my colours" went up to max for no reason and i had to keep resetting a few times.check that this isn't happening with your green.

22. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well just an update for you all the Sammy is going to the big DLP warehouse in the sky a new record i think i had this one 7 days :-(
    So 2 Tosh's and now two Sammy's i have been told they are out of stock again!!so it may be weeks before i get a new bl**dy one,I'm seriously thinking of giving up on DLP altogether,but hey i will give the Sammy one more try(love the looks lol)

Sheep

23. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that has got to be a record.
    Sorry to hear it has got to go. Are you normaly this unlucky.

24. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    lol not really buy i suppose you have to laugh about it ....dont you???

sheep

25. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Sheep :hiya:

Your not watering these DLP sets are you :D

Terrible luck, maybe its fate telling you theres a better set round the corner. :rolleyes:

26. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    nice one razor lol i was thinking of shining a lamp on to a white wall and spending my evenings doing shadow animals :))) i might have more luck or though knowing my luck the bulb would blow hehehe

sheep