OH NO. Help! He's moving out and taking the DVD's with him!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DaveH, Jun 29, 2001.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Dear oh dear.

Something very bad is happening with me at the moment.

I live with my brother and over the years we have racked up a collection of DVD, LD and VHS of about 550 +.

Now he is moving out! And yes he will take the DVD's and everything else that he bought with him.

It goes without saying that I am going to have to replace the DVD's first. The LD's will have to be replaced with DVD's.

So if I focus on the DVD's I need to purchase 112 of them.

I can just hear the cash tills. These DVD's have to be R1 for compatibility reasons.

Right now what I need are suggestions.

If I got a list of the DVD's I needed and mailed a region 1 supplier with them, do you think they would cut me a deal to buy in bulk?

Where should I replace these at? Who is not going to make me soooo poor?

Thanks everyone. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Dave.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    That's bad news. :( Try contacting several R1 suppliers by e-mail - you don't know 'til you ask! I'd try Play 247, & A&B Sound. Bear in mind though, that you'll pay VAT & Duty on anything above £18 in value. So Maybe you could get an agreement wherebye you pay for them up front, then they mail you parcels of that value every other day, or whatever. Not sure if that's legal. :eek:

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Dave,

I have already shed a solitary tear for your predicament. This is indeed a grave day for you Sir.

As for the resolution, try what Arthur recommended. The worst they can do is say no to you, which means a hell of a lot of business lost to that firm!

You may have more luck from a smaller firm, than the major companies like Play and A&BSound, et al. My fave firm, is www.dc-dvd.net and being a smaller firm, means that Dave Castledine (the guy who runs this operation) may be more inclined to cut some kind of deal with you. His prices are a bit more than most places, but that's why you are more likely to be successful with him, than a firm who already sell DVD's at £14 or whatever. (They've already shed the prices to their lowest, so doing a bulk deal won't really make that much difference, profit-wise, to them!) Try calling him, and/or e-mailing him and enclose the list. You never know, he may be willing to consider something along the lines of every 10 you pay, he gives you one regular-priced DVD for free, or some such deal, or just an X% reduction on the whole order? Who knows.

Hope this helps,

Pooch

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    And I thought it's your lover who is leaving ... :D