Quantcast

Oh my !!

teljess

I have been a carpenter for 25 years and recently moved north and started working for a loft conversion company. Whilst working here I have noticed that the owner off the company likes to skip corners.

20200109_172510.jpg

This is a soil pipe chased into a 9 " party wall needless to say that the brickwork is not supported above it.

What do you think ?

There are lots of examples of work that could show you but I still work there at the moment so I have to be careful

IronGiant

Nah, that's structural foam that is :devil::D

teljess

The thing is that is where the stairs are going and we had enough room to put a stud wall up and the pipework behind it but he didn't want to pay for the timber work to do it with 🤔

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
I have no idea about building as I can't even put up a shelf so I cannot possibly comment further.

stiv674

Putting my serious head on, horizontal chases should be a maximum depth of 1/6th of the wall thickness, as they're 100mm bricks then that's just 16mm :eek:

IronGiant

Putting my serious head on, horizontal chases should be a maximum depth of 1/6th of the wall thickness, as they're 100mm bricks then that's just 16mm :eek:
Should have used 15mm copper then :laugh:

John7

It's hardly a "chase" - it looks like he's taken two whole rows of brick out of a structural wall! I'd be dropping an anonymous note to the Local Authority Building Control.

teljess

He has taken 2 rows out !!! They have had a independent building control round and he's ok with it 🤔 if I didn't need the job then I would inform local building control about all the other corners cut as well

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Probably not that anonymous though...... Unfortunately :(

Dwayne Dibley

I'm NOT an expert.
NOT much of a DIYer if truth be told.
BUT, surely you can't replace a row of bricks with a plastic pipe. Could that not bring the roof down?

John7

He has taken 2 rows out !!! They have had a independent building control round and he's ok with it 🤔 if I didn't need the job then I would inform local building control about all the other corners cut as well
How can you have an "independent" BC officer? I thought it was mandatory for the LABC to be involved with all structural building works?

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
How can you have an "independent" BC officer? I thought it was mandatory for the LABC to be involved with all structural building works?
You can use the local authority one but now they will be separate companies and charge just like an independent it is up to you which you use but they are liable if they sign something off knowingly not compliant.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
not his mate is it ......

Trending threads

Latest News

TCL Mini LED TV coming to UK later in 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch updates Heritage speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL hits 32 million TV sales in 2019
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published