1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh my God....

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tonmeistermat, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  2. adriangs

adriangs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bwa-ha-ha!

I especially love the Customer Comment (which must be the manufacturer's invention, please God..):

"My first impressions of The Silver PowerKord™ were of an all pervading naturalness across the frequency range. The soundstage and presence of the music in the listening area was a lot stronger and more focussed. After the full burn-in period and depth of bass response increased in weight and tunefulness. The top end was wonderfully seamless and natural without any sense of brittleness."

If this paragraph had anything like the clarity he claims the cable itself provides, it would still read like a 'My First Lexicon of Meaningless Misappropriated Hi-fi terms'.

""All-pervading naturalness"? "Full burn-in period"?! And..er..what exactly is increased tunefulness as a term on its own merits, let alone what a mains cable is supposed to be doing for it?

We're all in the wrong business, I tell you...

A.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I won't suggest that anyone should buy one of these, however, power cables can and do make a significant difference to sound quality.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Jeff's point is entirely correct,and whilst few will have either the pockets,or the equipment to justify that extreme example of cable cost,the point remains true,that decent mains cables and dedicated ring mains can make an enormous contribution to sound quality,especially where the incoming mains quality is poor.

Anyone can pick an extreme example of something to rubbish the entire breed,and it would be easy to provide such examples for any given type of amplifier,speaker,or processor.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The irony of all this is that the customer in question has his cable at an angle of 33 degress to his hifi, not 46 as stated by the manufacturer. He's not getting half the benefit from it and a lead costing £700 would likely sound almost as good apart from a slight silbiance in the upper mid.

PS: I've got an RA Silencer Block and it really does make a difference.

6. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very interesting comments, and I totally respect every individual's right to an opinion, but I think it's more telling, alexis2, that you automaticaly take the offensive and assume I'm 'rubbishing the whole breed', whereas all my original post does is to mock an IEC mains lead that costs more than most people's domestic entire hi-fi set-ups (indeed I know people whose cars cost less), and makes no comment on the need for high quality components (and I agree that mains leads are indeed a component) in any high quality audio set-up.

It's about knowing when to draw the line, and being wary of 'Meaningless Misappropriated Hi-fi terms' as adriangs so eloquently puts it. It's a sad fact that things that really do affect the sound quality in clearly audible ways to all but the physically deaf, such as loudspeakers, are described in exactly the same way as things like this mains lead that make such a subtle difference (if any) people are afraid to do comparitive listening tests. To the unwary newcomer the implication is that a mains lead is going to make a similar qualititve difference to your set-up as a new pair of speakers... which is clearly nonsense!

7. adriangs

adriangs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >> Anyone can pick an extreme example of something to rubbish the entire breed,and it would be easy to provide such examples for any given type of amplifier,speaker,or processor. <<

Anyone indeed can, but I haven't. I'm holding up this particular extremity as a textbook example of just what kind of high-theatricals enthusiast domestic audio can develop into. Nowhere have I said that everything of this sort is to be mistrusted, but there are electronics and electrical engineers in this very forum who will tell you what opportunistic prattle a lot of this stuff is. You will find this kind of thing nowhere in professional studio installations - and they are the source of the recordings. Go figure...

A.

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    shame I cant use this with my 3802 :lol:

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I have 4 of them chords and they do look nice - I am not sure if they make much of a difference though.

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,559
    they've been reduced in price as well.....think i'll get about 8, 6 to use now, and a couple of spares!

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    S*hit better clarify things - I have 4 RA power chords - all yellows at £30 a pop - not the £1000 ones in the link above !!

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    If you had two identical units, one powered by this cord and one powered by its original cord in a room and no one told you which was which, could you really tell the difference? Dont get me wrong you understand. I am all for improved sound and picture quality in any system, but look at that price :eek:

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,559
    you might be able to tell the difference, but you identify which cable was which?

14. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've not heard about RA?? Can anyone tell me their web address?

15. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The original post contains a link to the RA (Russ Andrews) site. I use a silencer block that cost the thick end of £200 and it does make a noticable differerence in my system. I bought it because I felt my system performed better at different times of the day (not always the same times but it was inconsistant). I put this down to either my degree of sobriety or some mains borne interference. The problem has now gone away so I'm pleased.

For others it may make no difference.

16. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i could see it making a difference obviously but for the price of that mains cable i'd rather buy an RMB-1075 power know what I mean?

17. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :blush: ooops! I should have known that.... I've not had my morning cup of tea today!

18. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had a look, and yes, if you've got spikey mains then a smoothing device may help. I'd still be wary about spending 200 quid on one though! But if it's sorted out your fluctuating system then it's served it's purpose, and that's what matters.

I agree about the Rotel amp too... there are MANY things I'd rather spend a grand on if I had it to spare!

19. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    We have two Kimber Palladin mains cables in the listening room which were bought in a fit of enthusiasm a while ago. I'm pleased to say that in blind listening tests over 9 out of 10 people put the CD with the Palladin ahead of the one without. Is it worth it? No idea, I have a Merlin Black widow for my Audio Note and it does make a difference. Would I have paid £85 for my black widow? (I got a discount whilst working as a runner)- No.

20. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, but most of us here are in a position where £800 is a good wedge. Imagine money is no object and you have your full Linn (or whatever) system that has cost you tens of grands and you still have tens of grands left. How do you indulge your hobby?

Easy, buy an £800 mains cable. I would if money was no object. Why not? You're getting the best that money can buy.

I reckon the law of diminishing returns kicks in somewhere around £30-50 for mains cables.

21. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmm... even that seems a little steep to me! :) You'd be better off spending the money on decent speaker cable or something, but then I take your point... if you've got decent speaker cable already and you want to indulge your hobby, that's as good a way as any! (you could also buy half a dozen CD's and enjoy some more music!)

22. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, but think how much more natural and full of flavour that tea would be if your kettle had the right mains lead. :)

Should we have a Stick thread for this sort of thing?

23. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Having been through 2 power cable demos and being my very sceptical self throughout both, I was shocked by the difference. The first time the expensive power cable made the sound bloated and not at all pleasant. The 2nd demo was Gordon's Umbilical cord demo at Event II, Gordon's cable improved things by some margin. Re the cost, everything is relative, you aren't going to use one of these on a £1000 CD player. The same company sells power cables at around the £25 mark which are still an improvement over a stock cable and look very nice.

24. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tee Hee!!! Imagine if all our domestic appliances had that kind of power lead...

extra clean plates out of the dishwasher, table lamps that give out a more tuneful light (with a tighter bottom end too I would expect), hair dryers that dry your hair directionaly.... the list could go on and on!

seriously, you're right Jeff, no one in their right mind is going to buy a 'kettle' lead like that for a regular set-up, and those that can afford it probably have a very good therapist that can convince them that they're not wasting money...