1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OH MY GOD HELP ME BEFORE I GO MAD!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Grumpyduck, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a REL Q100 active subwoofer and a Pioneer VSA-E06 DD amp three months ago they worked perfectly well.
    After boxing up my entire system in the spare room and redecorating the lounge (which looks great now by the way)I reconected my system together and all was well ......except the amp will not output to sub,so I take the sub to my local dealer who sends it to Rel....nothing wrong they say.I take the amp to my dealer they agree sub and amp not working together.OK here it comes the amp hooked up to another active sub via the sub pre out all works fine??!! My sub hooked up to another amp all works fine???!!
    What do i do now both used to work together,both work with other pairings,WHY WON'T THEY WORK WITH EACH OTHER..?????
    Your help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have probably done this already, but, have you checked the cable joining sub to amp?

3. rbooth

rbooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx
    Well in your position I would do the following.

Connect your sub to another preout on your amp - one of the mains should do. If it works then its something related to the sub output. You don't say how your sub is connected to the amp - I'm assuming you are using the low level sub out not the high level speaker connections. For testing set the sub cross over freq. to max and keep the volume between 25-50%.

Probably also worth checking your amps bass configuration to make sure your have it configured to send bass to the subwoofer correctly. What are your other speakers - satellite or full range and what test material are you using to verify the subwoofer ?

Rob

4. Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The sub is connected to the amp via the sub preout(low level) with a normal rca-rca cable of which I have used 3 different ones to check,my amp is set to output to the sub and I have used DVD,Laserdisc and VHS tape along with the built in test tone for the sub to verify output in DD and prologic guises I have full range main and surround speakers.The strange part is that the pre-out when connected to another active sub works fine and the sub when connected to another amp also works.On monday i am going to purchase a 'NEUTRIK' connector to wire via the speaker terminals but surely the pre-out LFE channel is the way to get the best out of DD?

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    That truely does sound strange.
    Apart from the above, I can't think of anything.
    You may well have just to go mad! :)

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    THX, by using the Neutrik you will just cure the symptom but not the problem.
    That said I am baffled, no idea what else you could try or what's possibly wrong!? Sorry ...

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I moved to Milton Keynes I unpacked all my gear and set up my system.
    "WHAT MY SUBs NOT WORKING?" Ho well off to buy a new one. "WHAT ITS NOT WORKING?". My amp must be bust Sob Sob.
    I rechecked everything and found I'd connected the sub to a sub input connection.
    Thankfully Richer Sound took the new sub back without Laughing. So RECHECK RECHECK RECHECK.

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If all your speakers are full range only LFE encoded material will go to the subwoofer, and that is very little in most discs...
    Are you sure the speakers in the store, where you tested with other components, where also full range? And the other receiver was also set to full range speakers?
    Keep testing ;)

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Sorry Chris I have no answer for you regarding your subwoofer, but could you please change your handle name as people are confusing you with me :eek: I would be gratefull if you would change it.
    Cheers

10. Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry thx but you will see I had the name first being member no 327 and you no 2217 so YOU better change or put up with it :mad:

11. Grumpyduck

Grumpyduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well,just to update all those who helped with replies to my question the REL 'Neutrik' connector works and the amp and sub are happily working together again.
    As for the low level sub pre out connector...WHO KNOWS.Still I have a working system again maybe I will try the other connection method again in a few months and see if it miraculously works again as it has done for two years.
    Once again thanks everyone for your help/suggestions.
    :)

12. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Sorry Chris, I didn't notice your member number, just that you are classed as a new member and have only made 12 posts. I'll change things myself, and thanks for your understanding attitude............. ;)

[ 31-07-2001: Message edited by: THX 1138 /THX TEX not thx1138 ]