Oh man, I need to buy a 42 inch plasma within 24 hours!

T

Tonay

My mum has told me to find out which plasma to buy, she wants me to get it on the internet since one of her friends told her how much she saved.

We're willing to spend upto £3000. It needs to be 42", HD ready...umm, preferably from either Pioneer, Panasonic, or Sony.

What I need to know is this:

1. Which is the BEST TV I can buy for that price?

2. Which website is reliable and good for it?

3. If I download Hi-Def TV shows from the internet, will I be able to connect my laptop onto the Plasma TV with a wire and make it show the programs in Hi-Def?

4. Which 'cards' or 'tuners' will I need. I need to connect the TV to Sky Digital, a DVD player, and a VCR.

Guys, please halp me. I'm going back to uni sometime on Sunday and need to know by then. Thanks alot

simplest is the Pio 435XDE £2790 from AV-sales (2yr warranty and delivery inc) need to add speaker and stand....... or spend a bit more time and build/design a system

1)HD ready out of the box

2)AV-sales come very highly reconmended

3) can connect PC in different ways#

4) does not require any additional cards media box has all the connections you need... (scart, component, Front VGA and HDMI)

MOST IMPORTANT is that you and your mother demo demo demo (or risk wasting £3k) there is no clear best plasma you need to see what is best for you and your budget....

Alright, cheers.

So I'm currently looking at the Pioneer PDP-435FDE and the Pioneer PDP-435XDE. Can you tell me which one is newer, and which is better?

The Comet magazine only seems to have the former, the AV sales website only has the latter - so I'm guessing the latter is better. I mention it because my mum and older brother went and had a demo with the Pioneer PDP-435FDE and liked it, and it was the one they told me to look at.

if you're getting a TV, you should know about the legendary John Lewis pricematch with free 5yr guarantee.

tricky part is finding a shop deemed as 'local' to the John Lewis branch and with the TV in stock. easy peasy to do if youre lucky enough to live in London.

Excellent- there's a John Lewis in Nottingham near where I live. Ok, so it means I can get the TV at the same price as in the 'other' shop and get a 5 year guarantee with it included?

Also: stands. Can anyone link me to a stand suitable for holding a 42inch plasma,, please? I had a look on the AVshop thingy but they were £575-676, there, whereas on the high street I hear they're only £350.

Ok, I've spoken to my parents and they've agreed to buy the Pioneer (which was the one they most liked in the shop), and it's £3000 in the shops (including a surround system of some kind), or £2600 online. What I need to know is which shop to buy it from!

These are the 5 stores listed:

BUYYOURAV
Total Digital
Discount Audio Vision
The Flat TV Company
Beyond Television.com

Anyone brought anything from any of these? Or heard bad things about any? The 'AV-store' shop you guys recommended are selling it at £2790 for some reason.

One thing I'm confused about is the speakers. Does the 435XDE not come with any speakers at all? Because all the reviews I've seen mention the attached speakers, so I thought they came included.

XDE speaker are optional i suggest the XDE from AV-sales, they are a pioneer works dealer (better warranty and service) the other site you list are box shifters check the warranty situation and ther eis a very very good reason why AV-sales get reconmended by everyone......

Ok, matey.

But wait, you don't work for AV sales do ya? Since you're such a fan and are a long term member, I'm beginning to suspect a conspiracy!

AV sales have highly priced TV, stands and speakers - for that price I could probably get the same off the high street.

no i dont work for them just know how good there service is, buy where ever you want....its your money (all retailers on this site have retailer under the user name) if you want to buy off the highstreet do so........ buyyourAV £ 2,669.99 with delivery (no stand or speakers included) 1 yr warranty so £100 cheaper than AV-sales so is an extra year warranty worth £100??

Yes extended warranty on plasma is approx £150 per year

doing a search on this very forum, looks like John Lewis Nottingham are very liberal in their pricematch policy - matching retailers in Bolton and even internet-only shops...

how about an extra 3 year guarantee for £-80? :D

soundandvisiononline.com & tvandvideodirect.com are what some say they successfully pricematched on.

dont rush into buying off the first e-tailer in the list - being stuck with problems, £3000 down and just someone on the phone not helping you isn't a nice situation to be in. a little bit more for peace of mind is money well spent: AV Sales definitely wont leave a forum user unhappy, you can be guaranteed.

good luck.

and if i were hornydragon, i certainly wouldnt expect to be paying public prices whilst on my shopping trip at AV Sales... ! but thats not his fault, really!

What's going on?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom