1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh God it's good ...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PhilipH, Nov 22, 2004.

1. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...so good I think I'm going to go blind.

Picked up my AX10 last Thursday - snuck it into the house without the wife spotting it - got it set up on Saturday morning. Haven't had too much chance to play yet but so far I'm glad (and very much relieved) to say that I love it.

Of course there have to be some downsides ... the cat hates it as it runs far too toasty for her to sleep on (yes, not a downside as far as I'm concerned either but she did like snoozing on the old Yamaha DSP-A1 on chilly winter evenings) and it's silver rather than black (so of course I did get a bit of a rollocking on Saturday afternoon when the wife came back and noticed the change) but that's about it. :D

Phil

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Wait till she see's the bank statement , she won't worry about the colour then :laugh:

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who cares what the women say :oops: I mean just take her out and buy her a meal and then take her home to watch a film on you're new AX10 she'll love it :D

John :)

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    All this upgrading on the sly is marvellous!! :smashin:

I have been looking at my Pioneer 812 in my enclosed unit wondering if i can get away with upgrading it to a superior Pioneer model without 'er in doors noticing!

All the Pioneer's look the same so I reckon the chances are good!!!

5. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *cough*

<whisper>

It was a damn good deal and I paid cash... ;-)

</whisper>

Phil

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236

As far as my missus is concerned,my AX5 cost £250,and my 868 was £150 - well,it's only a DVD player "innit".

She was so pleased with the picture/sound - (something I didn't bargain on her commenting on in the slightest),that she suggested we might want to consider getting a new TV - Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - "well they aint cheap luv" ..... "not for a goooood one!" - ........... ........ "well,don't worry about that, ..... we only live once don't we! - Besides,you got a good deal on that big silver thing,and the DVD player,so we might aswell get the best out of it!" - "By the way,did I say that I was getting my hairdone on Thursday! - is that OK?" -

Wives work in mysterious ways,only to be outdone by their husbands!!!!!! :blush:

7. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took your advice and it worked a treat ...

...well...

...brought home fish and chips and now we're watching Corrie. :laugh:

Phil

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent :laugh:

John :)

9. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i am looking for a receiver and speakers for my Viera 42" which comes thusday so i searched for the AX10,a bit over budget for me :eek: it does look very nice :thumbsup:
    do you want to sell your old one ;) COD,
    i was looking at the Panny SAXR50 or the SAXR70,would the saxr70 match the E85,then i will need 6.1 speakers,any ideas for around £500,

steve

10. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL - Actually that reminds me ... an old customer (who I also really like coz he's a hoot) phoned me up today to ask a few bits about the iPronto remote before he ordered one. I asked him how the hell he was getting that past "change control" given that I know just how closely his missis keeps an eye on his spending.

"Oh - she knows all about it ... in fact it's her Christmas present to me."

"Wow" - says me - "I wish I could get my missis to buy me a £1,300 remote for Christmas""

"Well," he said "that's my next question, if I order a normal Pronto too can you invoice me for it then refund it then I can give her the invoice for that instead of the real invoice and she'll think it was only £200. And since she is giving me it for Christmas she'll never think to check."

I was amazed at his resourcefullness...

Last year he was buying some wall mounted touchscreens from us at £400 a pop - he told his wife that he was getting them off some bloke at his work for £20 each. I asked him what happened if she mentioned this to anyone at work. "No problem," he said "I told her that this bloke down in stores was whipping them out of bits of kit and if it gets found out then he'll get the sack and probably I will too..." :devil:

CLASS!!! :laugh:

Phil

11. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean my "old" Yamaha DSP-A1?

Phil

12. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i don't know how old it is, but this is part of a review on the yam DSP-A1 from HI-FI choice,

Because, despite its enormous size (it weighs in at a hefty 23kg), the DSP-A1 is more Mike Tyson than Bernard Manning. Build quality is impressive, with chunky dials, reassuringly clunky buttons and the kind of fit and finish Rolls Royce would be envious of. Its blacker-than-black exterior might have fallen out of favour in these champagne gold-ridden times, but the DSP-A1 still looks classy and sophisticated, with an air of menace that can only hint at its brutal, jaw-dropping power. It's like having a nightclub bouncer on the door to Buckingham Palace.

i think they like it,sounds just up my street,just what iam looking for, a good cheap receiver :smashin:is it the black one,
    what will you do with this now you have got the other one,

steve

13. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Age? Probably six years old - I have the manual and remote, box is somewhere about too (I tend to take care of my kit quite carefully).

I also had it "modified" by VideoTek (I think they're no longer going) as the standard UK A1's had binding post speaker terminals which wouldn't accept banana plugs (bloody EU legislation). VideoTek used to replace the Yamaha Binding Posts with the correct replacement part (sourced from Yamaha - they came in Yamaha plastic bags) from the Japanese / US A1's which do take banana plugs.

I haven't actually decided what I want to do with the A1 yet - I can't really justify keeping it, mind you I also can't really justify the AX10 either so so much for that.

Why not have an ask about on here whether people consider it worthwhile going for over something modern and what you / they reckon it's worth and I'll work out what the hell I am going to do with it - at the moment it's sat behind my sofa!

Oh yes, one other thing - it's an AV amp, not a receiver - it has no built in tuner.

Phil

14. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    6 years does seem a while ago in the tech dept,good point about the modern route,
    iam looking at two from Panasonic,to match my Viera 42" and E85,

SAXR70 and SAXR50

what one would you go for from the above specs in links,iam a newbie so little knowlege at this level,

thanks

steve

could you PM me if this is going off topic

15. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236

Phil - That guy sounds like somebody I should be worshipping to,everytime I go to church on Sunday.He's given me,via you,two more pukka excuses to use on the missus,when the need arises.My current work around,is to get things sent to my mates house,and then smuggle them into the house,when the prettier one is at work.The problem has arisen,that my mate is now sinking deeper into the brown stuff,because his missus thinks he's been out,treating himself,and doesn't believe him,when he explains that it's my new toys,that have just been delivered. - DOH!!!!!

16. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind keeping it on here if no-one else objects. I mean it's hardly a "sensible" thread is it. :laugh:

I have to say that I wouldn't actually buy either of them myself - call me an AV snob, a nutter, a git or whatever but I do like my "big iron" amps. (/me waits to be shot down in flames, yes I know that an A1 / AX10 isn't in the psycho territory inhabited by Lexicon / Krell etc. but it's all I can afford.)

I would assume both of them would be competent at what they do given the manufacturer but - as always - do try to get a demo of them before you make a decision.

Phil

17. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    after reading up and looking at the options i think i will go with the

YAMAHA DSPAX750SE

having looked at the online manual and the write ups,iam very impressed,and so is WhatHI-FI and Home Cinema choice, :clap:

"Sensational specification; excellent performance in nearly every area", "A terrific debut - it should be enough to propel Yamaha back to the top of the class", What HiFi August 2004.

"The Yamaha matches the performance of other mid-range amplifiers with ease, but delivers extra when used in its purist modes, which are more effective than similar features in other amplifiers at this price level - making the Yamaha something of a star", Home Cinema Choice, November 2004.

i have just ordered some Celestion AVP305 Home Cinema Speakers the wife don't want the big speakers :nono: so i will just add some nice front speakers when she goes out shopping :laugh: then i will put some small Presence speakers behind the plasma a bit so she can't see them,so i will end up with 4 sets of speakers pumping away when i get the CD's out,i will now be using this set up for 50/50 music and films,and sky TV,timeto get the Bat Out of Hell CD out :eek:

thanks for the info guys

steve

18. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Phil, if you don`t mind me asking which version of AX10 did you get MK 1,2 or latest Mk3 one ?

19. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mk 3 as I wanted the WMA decoding ...

...why?

Phil

20. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just curious mate that`s all, i`ve owned all 3 versions and think the latest one by far the best, really refined yet the most powerful by far.

21. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    http://www.videotec.co.uk/

Bought a 3090 off them years ago and have had laserdisc mods done - top outfit.

Gus

22. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Mk1 that I borrowed from Pioneer to have a play with for about 3 months a couple of years ago and I loved it but I just couldn't justify it at the time ...

... I bought the Mk 3 "sight unseen" from what I remembered of the Mk1 that I had.

Phil

23. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YAY! Nice to see they're still going...

Phil

24. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    [/QUOTE]As you already know, you`ll love it and Mk1 as all of them are great amps and glad you got a good deal.

25. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    @PhilipH how much better is the AX10 to the A1 for music then.

Regards Tulloch