Oh dear - wot a plonker!

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using PSE 6 to do most of my PPing, but I have just noticed that unless you are very careful adjusting highlights and shadows the picture has a blueish hue to it.

Working with Capture NX2 on my RAW files gives much better results, but it is much more complex to use :(

So I need to work out a new process using the best bits of Capture and PSE - any suggestions? :confused:

are you sure your screen isnt out and just needs calibrating ?

I have had a similar issue and i am now looking to try and use "Spyder 2" system to calibrate my screen

Thanks Mark, I am sure it is not my screen, even though I only use a laptop. I have done side by side comparisons and NX knocks PSE into a cocked hat. I am still experimenting but will post some samples tomorrow.

I am trying to learn how to get the best from NX2 and had these links recommended to me:

hXXp://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14234

hXXp://www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html

OK here are some samples

Photo straight from camera converted to jpg using NX

Photo converted to jpg, adjust shadows and highlights and cropped with PSE 6

Photo cropped and auto adjust on light with Capture NX

I could have done much more with NX but even just using a basic "auto adjust" I think the NX version has a more natural look. All comments welcome!

What camera profile were you using in the camera raw part of PSE? (The tab with the icon of the camera second from right) You can download profiles from the Adobe website to give you presets closer to the Nikon in-camera settings (vivid,portraitlandscape etc) I use the DX2 mode 3 preset in Lightroom (also uses camera raw to develop raws) because I like the results.
NX2 can read the settings that the camera was set to, ACR can only read the white balance, so all the other settings are presets in ACR.

Looks to me like PSE has done a 'true' conversion of the original, whilst the 'auto adjust' in NX has done a hue/balance adjust. Basically it's not that PSE is doing anything wrong, it's just that the options your choosing in NX are applying a different type of PP to that you're selecting in PSE.

Not used PSE but assuming it has a similar menu suite as Photoshop the Image > autobalance / autocolour tools should apply a similar set of PP as that in NX.

EDIT - this is what Photoshop does running the three auto filters over it. Arguably better than the NX conversion, but certainly on a par.

Attachments

• butterflyPS.jpg
    butterflyPS.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Pete and Mike

Thanks for the help here. I did feel it was me rather than the software :(

Mike - I cannot find the tab you refer to, I am using PSE 6. I just download the Nikon RAW plug in from Adobe.

I use Capture NX to make use of the correct Nikon profile settings, which I think look much better than the standard profiles you get in Lightroom etc. Then save out as Tiff for editing in Photoshop.

I downloaded the Nikon templates off the Adobe site, mine are under camera calibration in lightroom
Makes a huge difference to the shots.

I found the same thing to be honest, but with Lightroom. I went through all the camera calibration presets, pics just looked flat in comparison to what NX2 produced.

I now have a balance which works for me but is a little more longwinded -

Basic WB adjustment in NX2 then convert and save in 8 bit TIFF,
Import TIFF's into LR2, make adjustments inc cropping etc
Export any I want to upload or print as JPG's

I end up with 3 copies of the same file but storage is cheap...

Pete and Mike

Thanks for the help here. I did feel it was me rather than the software :(

Mike - I cannot find the tab you refer to, I am using PSE 6. I just download the Nikon RAW plug in from Adobe.

I am not sure how Elements 6 opens raws, but in Photoshop CS3 when you open a raw it pops up Camera Raw in a separate window. In the Camera Raw window there are a number of tabs with various adjustments you can do. The camera profiles are in the second last tab in ACR 4.6. Once you have adjusted the raw, you can open it in CS3 and edit further or just save the adjustments and exit.

The latest version of Camera Raw for Elements 6 is 5.3 here (for Windows).

I am not sure how Elements 6 opens raws, but in Photoshop CS3 when you open a raw it pops up Camera Raw in a separate window. In the Camera Raw window there are a number of tabs with various adjustments you can do. The camera profiles are in the second last tab in ACR 4.6. Once you have adjusted the raw, you can open it in CS3 and edit further or just save the adjustments and exit.

Mike - look like PSE 6 and CS4 differ in this regard, but thanks for the tip.

The latest version of Camera Raw for Elements 6 is 5.3 here (for Windows).

I will download this, I just wonder if the only reason for the updates is to handle the outputs from the new cameras such as the D3X or if they do improve the handling of RAW files from the older models? Thanks again :)

Largely adding support for new formats.

Any improvement in 'handling' old models will be either improved EXIF data or generic improvements to adjustment tools. Once the ability to import the RAW data from a camera is available to any processing software, from that point on it basically just deals with the image as a grid of pixels with intensity values. In that respect at least, All raw formats are basically made equal.

Mike - look like PSE 6 and CS4 differ in this regard, but thanks for the tip.

It might be that you have to tell PSE 6 to open raws in Camera Raw. In CS3 it is in Edit -> Preferences -> File Handling -> Prefer Camera Raw for supported raw files.

I will download this, I just wonder if the only reason for the updates is to handle the outputs from the new cameras such as the D3X or if they do improve the handling of RAW files from the older models? Thanks again :)

Could be, but there might be some other enhancements as well. Always best to have the latest plug ins IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom