oh dear what have i done, windows 8>windows 7

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ant78, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ant78

ant78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have Lenovo z585 that came with Windows 8, I have given it a month but I want to go back to Windows 7. The drivers can be downloaded from the lenovo website so all looks good.

Right, I booted from my DVD drive and tried to install windows 7, it copied all the files over then said windows can't be installed due to the HDD partition being in GPT or something like that.

Now I'm stuck with a new laptop that won't boot up!

What can I do?

Thanks in advance

2. trjp

trjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Start with this

Windows and GPT FAQ

Also, I suspect itW7 just loaded everything and then failed before writing to the HDD - to prove this, can you boot into Windows 8 still or is your PC now unbootable from it's HDD?

It should be possible to install W7 on a GPT drive but it depends on the BIOS on your system, amongst other things. The cheap-and-dirty solution is to boot your laptop with something like a GParted ISO and just reset the HDD to MBR

I'll let you Google for hints on that so you can get more specifics before you leap in there!

3. brookheather

brookheather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    From the Windows 7 install DVD go to repair and then command tools and run "diskpart" - select the hard drive and run the "clean" command. You will then be able to install Windows 7.