1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offset/Thow/Keystone etc...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by superdon, Sep 2, 2004.

1. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi,

On my search for a first projector I am getting myself a bit confused!

Basically, heres the sitatuion...

I have a room approx 11ft by 11ft. I was planning on having the projector mounted from the ceiling (low celing - approx 6.2 feet). However, having looked again at the room, it would be better on a shelfing unit at the back of the room. So I guess the PJ would be about 3 feet off the ground.

Will this work? I realise that no one would be able to sit in front of the PJ if it was on the shelf, but it would suit the room better this way.

I am considering the Infocus X1 ot the Epson TW10H PJ's by the way.

Help me get out of this confused state! The calculators at projectorcentral only confuse me further!!

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The calculator on projector central.com will noly tell you the throw distance - i.e. how big a screen (within the zoom range of the projector) you'll get for a given distance between the projector and the screen. Projectors can be mounted so that they throw their image upwards - i.e with the projector on a coffee table or similar, or throw their image downwards for example - ceiling mounted. If you put the projector about 3ft from the ground, then you can expect that the bottom of the screen will be about the same height from the ground. The exception to these basic principles is lens-shift which will allo the image to be raised or lowered or moved left or right relative to the position of the projector without using keystone correction. There are also some projectors (the NEC HT1000 for example) which do not throw a picture so that the bottom of the image is level with the position of the projector - it has a fairly significant degree of "offset", the bottom of the image being a good deal higher than the level of the projector, iirc.

Sean G.

3. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks. Do the two PJ's I mentioned have "lens-shift" or is that only oh higher end models?

4. Jim McC

Jim McC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The X1 and Epson TW10 do not have lens shift. Some that do are the Sanyo Z1 & Z2, Hitachi Home 1(in USA).

5. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    So that means with these PJ's (without lens shift) you would have to have them either on a shelf at the height of the bottom of the screen, of ceiling mounted at the height of the top of the screen? Am I assuming correctly here?

6. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to just but in guys; I to am a newbee. I was looking at buying a AE500 or maybe the AE700 if I can wait that long! I read somewhere on this site that a guy had a AE500 mounted on a shelf 1.2m from the ground and implied the image was both above and below this point ie. not just above or just below. Is this right? Is that just a feature of the panny?

7. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I believe as long as you have the front face line of the projector parallel with the screen wall and in line left to right you can slightly angle the projector up or flat using the feet (this from experience with Sanyo Z2) however it may be different with the projector you use.

Obviously if angled up then this is where you use the keystone correction.

I think what I have said is correct?

8. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15