offset projector

Darkstar_surfer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Seeing the thread on the MT200 has got me interested in a PJ again.

Unfortunately it seems my dimensions are tighter than I originally thought. I have a 183cm by 132cm space set by my wall mounted speakers.

A 73" diagonal screen (163cm by 91cm) with 1.5" borders fits horizontal but only leaves 40cm between the top of my image and the ceiling. Assuming I can not flush mount my PJ and the lens is 15cm below the ceiling means I can only accommodate an offset of 25cm.

So which projectors can I use, a fixed offset is my biggest problem. I don't want to splash out £1,500 or more just now. But I also would like a decent image or can the idea for a another year. The HD70 may be an idea but not sure if its offset will fit.

looking at my owners manual a 70 inch screen will give an offset of 45 cm, tht means the image will be 20 cm lower than you need.

Its not a great deal and would only need the slightest raise of the projector to accomodate it.

I cant see it making much difference to the picture if its only raised slightly.

I did an experiment with mine when it was resting on a table. I placed a dvd in a polly pocket type case under neath the front of the projector, must have raised the actual projector about 1 to 2 mm, that gave a raised image of about 18 cm's, with no real difference to the image quality.

I had considered tilting the image and then using keystone to correct it. I was concerned That this may distort a 480p image and the wife would sit and point this out every other minute. Although its price is tempting.

Does anyone know the launch date and price for the HD70 and its offset for a 73" screen. Is the IN72 an alternative.

I'm in a similar position to you.

With a screen of 106" and a throw of 446cm, I have a vertical offset of 51cm.
Add to this the length of the mount and it becomes more like 61cm.
Unfortunately the top edge of the viewing area of the screen is only 43cm from the ceiling so there is an 18cm difference.
I'm not sure whether tilting and keystone correction will be able to accomodate that much?

I have seen the spec' sheet for the HD70 but there is no mention of offset.
Launch is scheduled for mid September.

Some other posters have recommended the IN76 as an alternative (£1,500).
I need to check the spec's on that though to see what the vertical offset is.

I love the looks of the IN76 but £1,500 is a little over my budget now, not sure what I spent it on but I am now down to £1,300. Also don't want to spend it all on a PJ as I would like a DVD player as well. With screen, mount and cables to consider the MT200 is a perfect match to my budget. That would let me get something like a second hand Pioner 868.

DiscountTV have the HD70 priced at £795, with a free screen, and the In72 at £650. If the screen is worth £150 to me than that put them on a par price wise with the HD70 having the better spec at 720p Vs 480p.

Also DiscountTV say the offset for the HD70 is 135%, what ever that means.

Darkstar_surfer said:
I love the looks of the IN76 but £1,500 is a little over my budget now, not sure what I spent it on but I am now down to £1,300. Also don't want to spend it all on a PJ as I would like a DVD player as well. With screen, mount and cables to consider the MT200 is a perfect match to my budget. That would let me get something like a second hand Pioner 868.
My mistake - I thought you were looking at stuff for up to £1,500.

Out of interest, how much are you expecting to pay for a 2nd hand 868?
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting rid of mine soon and that will give me an idea how much to put it up for sale for.

No idea.
I'm still trying to get to grips with all the PJ related terms.

The 868's seem to go for £400 if A1. Although I may wait and see what the HD toshiba is like when it hits the UK with region 2.

Darkstar_surfer said:
I may be talking rubbish but I've been doing some calculations and as far as I can work out, the offset ratio is used as follows:

Vertical Offset = (Offset Ratio-1) x Screen Height

So for example, with a screen height of 132 (106" screen), the vertical offset would be as follows:

(135%-1) x 132 = 46.2cm

That formula seems to work for the IN72/74/76 (based on a spreadsheet I downloaded from another forum) and the HD70.
However, if I reverse calculate the ratio for the HD72i, I end up with just over 138% which surely can't be right.
But then again, the offset is quite large so perhaps it is? :confused:

Hopefully someone who understands this stuff will be able to provide some input.

That would mean my 73" screen, 91cm height, would have an offset of 32cm. Still too much, but a bit closer to my target of 25cm.

Darkstar_surfer said:
That would mean my 73" screen, 91cm height, would have an offset of 32cm. Still too much, but a bit closer to my target of 25cm.
I would have thought that the amount of tilt required for 7cm would be fairly small and would be easily corrected with keystone adjustment?

There lies my problem. Do I hold off and hope the HD70 is as good as everyone hopes or just jump in. If the price of the MT200 had been £325 then I think I would have jumped but since the price went back up I think I might wait. I do prefer the idea of getting a 720p PJ in case I go HD sooner rather than later.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom