Officially Unlocked 3GS now locked after iOS4 update

Messiah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd read most things about the iOS4 update prior to upgrading last night. However, did I overlook something basic about upgrading an officially unlocked (by O2) phone.

My phone now says No Service. Have rebooted and also removed and reinserted my Orange SIM card. Any ideas?

Thanks

Are you sure it was an official unlock (i.e you have been the only owner of the phone)

No, bought off these forums last week. Was told it was. Bl00dy annoyed if not.

I've got an officially unlocked 02 iPhone, using a T-Mob sim. Updated and iTunes gave me the handset unlocked message, away I've gone. Perhaps it wasn't an official unlock? Or it's been jailbroken since?

:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Waiting for response from original seller, who told me

Glad you got it sorted, I was worried when I read your first message because I got it unlocked by O2.

Other than asking original owner is there anyway I can check?

If its an official unlock jailbreaking should not make any difference.

Best just to PM the seller to check I guess.

No, bought off these forums last week. Was told it was. Bl00dy annoyed if not.
I will not be back later in the evening but please PM me on the reply from your seller. Appropriate action would be taken if this was not officially unlocked. If it was officially unlocked there may be a receipt, even as a bank statement entry

Where does it say if your phone is unlocked or not? I asked O2 to unlock mine and they sent me a text saying it was but how do I know?

Steve

Here is the link to the original sale thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arch...-32gb-black-unlocked-12-months-applecare.html

which clearly stated

The phone is in immaculate condition and is only 4 weeks old since it was replaced by Apple under warranty. It has no marks or scratches and comes boxed in the original packaging with all standard accessories. It is officially unlocked by O2 and has never been jail broken. It is running the latest version of the OS (3.1.3).

I'm sure its either a simple misunderstanding or an error on my part and will be sorted soon. Luckily I also have a Desire sat here so will have to use that for now.

Did it have cydia on the phone when you recieved it?

You can check its unlocked with itunes, when you restore the phone and go to activate it will say that the phone has been unlocked.

Did it have cydia on the phone when you recieved it?

You can check its unlocked with itunes, when you restore the phone and go to activate it will say that the phone has been unlocked.

No, did not have Cydia. Phone updated and restarted overnight so did not see any activation process.

I am wondering if its a replacement handset whether this one was unlocked? The one that was swapped was probably unlocked but unless the unlock was applied again after the swap then it may not have been.

Somone correct me if I am wrong.

No, did not have Cydia. Phone updated and restarted overnight so did not see any activation process.

when you reset all settings and it asks you to plug it into iTunes you should get a message in iTunes saying its Unlocked...

if you don't it wasn't unlocked! I sold mine recently and did this a couple of times just to make sure!

when you reset all settings and it asks you to plug it into iTunes you should get a message in iTunes saying its Unlocked...

if you don't it wasn't unlocked! I sold mine recently and did this a couple of times just to make sure!

OK, will try that now. Thanks.

Done Reset All Settings but did not ask me to plug in to iTunes. Looks like I have a ÂŁ365 brick. Great :mad:

Last edited:
I feel I should reply to this thread since I am the person who sold this phone to Messiah.

I have replied to Messiah's PM this morning as soon as saw it.

As I have said to Messiah I can confirm that the phone was definitely unlocked by O2. I requested it via the O2 website who then texted me to complete the process via iTunes. Once I connected it to iTunes with another carriers sim in the phone, iTunes confirmed that the phone was unlocked.
The phone has never been jailbroken. I know this for certain because I have been the only owner of the phone from new and I did not want the hassle of messing about with the firmware.

The phone was a replacement by Apple under AppleCare as I stated in my sale thread however I requested the unlock from O2 again after I received the replacement phone to ensure I went through the official unlock process again on the new phone.

Once I had done a reset on the phone to make sure it was wiped I connected it to iTunes to activate it and iTunes confirmed in the top righthind corner of the screen that it was unlocked.

I obviously want to do everything I can to help.

OK, will try that now. Thanks.

Done Reset All Settings but did not ask me to plug in to iTunes. Looks like I have a ÂŁ365 brick. Great :mad:

Do a full restore...not a reset all settings.

Follow the instructions at
http://www.tipb.com/2009/01/29/iphone-101-put-iphone-recovery-mode/
to put your phone into recovery mode. iTunes should detect the phone is in recovery mode. Agree to do a full restore of the phones software. After this, hopefully iTunes will recognise it and unlock it.

When you get a replacement phone such as the seller states, they do not need to unlock it again, the IMEI unlock properties of the first phone are copied to the second by Apple automatically (at least it should do).

i had a similar thing happen to my other halfs 3gs at weekend after a restore it would not see my T-mobile sim and kept coming up as 'sim-failure' and on plugging into iTunes got told that the mobile did not support this carriers sim.

I ended up doing a full restore with an o2 sim card in there, just to activate it, then put my t-mobile sim in and it informed that the mobile was now unlocked.

Thanks guys. Will do this afternoon when I get back. Good ol' Apple eh!

And just to clarify i never intended to put any doubt on greasyweasel as he has been superb at every point of the transaction a nd afterwards.

Last edited:
It could be that you need the original sim card in the device when you restore the phone. Try an O2 sim in the phone when you restore first though and hopefully that should work.

I'm pretty sure that if the phone was on version 3.1.3, it was definitely an official unlock as unofficial unlocks did not work on 3.1.3 (the last time I checked anyway).

You shouldn't need the original SIM in the phone. When I unlocked mine, I had a t-mobile SIM in it at the time and iTunes still did its "business" and stated it was unlocked. I have since done a full restore and never put the O2 SIM in again for activation.

So I am hopeful the instructions I gave above to do a full restore should work.

Yeehah!!!! Crisis averted. Thanks to all who offered advice and particular thanks to GreasyWeasel for such a fab phone and Jonstatt and cmt for the restore advice.

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 148
It sounds like you may have installed iOS4 GM rather than the official iOS4.

Where did you download the ipsw from ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom