Officially overwhelmed...

ed00294

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm very much a novice when it comes to TV's and I do a little of everything with my TV - mainly streaming and Movies through what feels like every platform out there, but also PS4 gaming and sports.

I recently made my first large-ish 4k smart TV purchase (was previously using a second hand 1080p set during Uni). I went with the 50 inch Samsung TU8500 for around the 500 mark. However I've had some issues with backlighting bloom and a horribly distracting sound issue where in quiet scenes or low volumes it sounds like there's wind all the time (Samsung said it's an issue with this model and a few others). So now I'm looking for a replacement and wanted something between 500-1000, although I really would prefer to not hit that upper limit.

I really like the Samsung UI but am frustrated with their lack of Dolby Vision and I would quite like something that is going to be well matched with next gen gaming. I've been looking all over review sites and forums and it seems like every potential TV has heavy downfalls to them (Sony x9505 has no HDMI 2.1 and backlight issues, Panasonic HX800 has uniformity issues etc). I think I've just hit a brick wall of indecisiveness and would like some advice and reassurance on some of these midrange sets!

Many Thanks

Hi there,
I'm very much a novice when it comes to TV's and I do a little of everything with my TV - mainly streaming and Movies through what feels like every platform out there, but also PS4 gaming and sports.

I recently made my first large-ish 4k smart TV purchase (was previously using a second hand 1080p set during Uni). I went with the 50 inch Samsung TU8500 for around the 500 mark. However I've had some issues with backlighting bloom and a horribly distracting sound issue where in quiet scenes or low volumes it sounds like there's wind all the time (Samsung said it's an issue with this model and a few others). So now I'm looking for a replacement and wanted something between 500-1000, although I really would prefer to not hit that upper limit.

I really like the Samsung UI but am frustrated with their lack of Dolby Vision and I would quite like something that is going to be well matched with next gen gaming. I've been looking all over review sites and forums and it seems like every potential TV has heavy downfalls to them (Sony x9505 has no HDMI 2.1 and backlight issues, Panasonic HX800 has uniformity issues etc). I think I've just hit a brick wall of indecisiveness and would like some advice and reassurance on some of these midrange sets!

Many Thanks

I think your budget will hinder you here as there isn't really anything that will fully meet your requirements. Just a few things though. Don't worry at all about hdmi 2.1 as unless you're a pro gamer/heavy PC gamer it really isn't something that you will miss. There will be very little available to justify having this for quite a few years to come. The XH9505 is a top end LCD and has very good backlight handling although do have some limited blooming but this is because they don't crush blacks and images like the Samsung's do so for me you are getting a better, more accurate image overall. You want to be looking at the 55" LCD's as at the 49" size the manufacturers don't include as much technology.

What about the Hisense UQ8, is alot of television for the money but lacks Disney+ and Apple TV (the latter of which will come to the XH95 soon). Personally out of the models you've mentioned you will struggle to beat the XH95.

Good advice already above, for a TV to have good backlight control and to be used for HDR you really are looking at models like the Hisense U8Q.

If you can't reach that, a model like the Sony XH9005 or Hisense U7Q will get you halfway there.

Like the TU8500 the Panasonic HX800 is nothing special really. It lacks decent dimming compared to the U7Q and only gets half as bright which makes it a poor choice for using HDR. Being a Panasonic you may enjoy how it handles upscaling better than the Hisense model though.

With sound all TVs tend to sound bad, but I haven't heard of your specific issue before. It's hard to know if the issue is just poor sound quality, or something wrong with the TV. If its the former then you should also add a soundbar or speaker system to the TV you buy. If its the latter you may be pleased with any replacement.

TVs that come with good sound nowadays are pretty rare. The cheapest you can probably get hold of is the TCL C815, but sadly its still not a good TV to use with HDR due to limited brightness and lack of decent local dimming.

Hi guys, thank you for your responses.

Thanks for the advice on HDMI 2.1, I have to say that it's been a pretty big stress factor for me but knowing that I shouldn't worry is good to hear.

Would you say that an 'upgrade' to the x9505 is worth that price jump of around 400 then? Or would it even be pointless as you say the tech is limited on the 49'' version of it? It's just that for my small room, for which I'm just sat on my bed approx 2m away from the TV, a 55'' is a little large and tends to push the prices of the sets over a grand (I see why the budget is a hinderance!). I haven't really looked at the Hisense as I've been pretty focused on 50'' but I'll defo consider it.

Thanks again

Hi guys, thank you for your responses.

Thanks for the advice on HDMI 2.1, I have to say that it's been a pretty big stress factor for me but knowing that I shouldn't worry is good to hear.

Would you say that an 'upgrade' to the x9505 is worth that price jump of around 400 then? Or would it even be pointless as you say the tech is limited on the 49'' version of it? It's just that for my small room, for which I'm just sat on my bed approx 2m away from the TV, a 55'' is a little large and tends to push the prices of the sets over a grand (I see why the budget is a hinderance!). I haven't really looked at the Hisense as I've been pretty focused on 50'' but I'll defo consider it.

Thanks again

It's a shame the XH9005 isn't a 49" screen. I would what for the XH95 to drop further in price and go for that.

It's a shame the XH9005 isn't a 49" screen. I would what for the XH95 to drop further in price and go for that.
Yeah I thought this too. The only issue about waiting is that I have a limited amount of time to trade in the Tu8500 😕

Yeah I thought this too. The only issue about waiting is that I have a limited amount of time to trade in the Tu8500 😕

In that case I'd just go for it. I've seen recent reports of retailers doing early Black Friday deals so drop them a call/email and ask for their best price. I got a £250 saving on mine just by emailing.

This is the same tv I'm looking for and am desperate to get it before 10th November when new xbox out, but am also waiting for bf deals :/ the 49XH9505 I mean

This is the same tv I'm looking for and am desperate to get it before 10th November when new xbox out, but am also waiting for bf deals :/ the 49XH9505 I mean

Just message all the retailers you are happy to buy from and say you want the best price going and you are keen to buy. You are likely to get some reduction in price, no harm in trying.

Just message all the retailers you are happy to buy from and say you want the best price going and you are keen to buy. You are likely to get some reduction in price, no harm in trying.
OK just messaged my local richer sounds.

Fingers crossed

If you buy from John Lewis now you should benefit from price match forward looking for 28 days, which should (being the operative word) cover you for most BF deals.

Check the OLED Price Drops thread in the OLED forum for some discussions on that

If you buy from John Lewis now you should benefit from price match forward looking for 28 days, which should (being the operative word) cover you for most BF deals.

Check the OLED Price Drops thread in the OLED forum for some discussions on that

Good point, although I believe RS do the same, plus they give a 6 year warranty.

Richer sounds price match is for 14 days it says on their site..

Good point, although I believe RS do the same, plus they give a 6 year warranty.
Yep, one year more warranty though only 14 days as mentioned so not covering BF yet

Also if one were getting an OLED and wanted burn-in cover one may wish to go with JL for the extra £140 cover

Yep, one year more warranty though only 14 days as mentioned so not covering BF yet

Also if one were getting an OLED and wanted burn-in cover one may wish to go with JL for the extra £140 cover

Not quite as good but I know my local RS will match any high street offer. Having read that Domestic and General cover sold by JL it excludes neglect and OLED manufacturers specifically state burn in happens due to owner neglect so I personally wouldn't buy from JL just for that cover as I wouldn't buy that cover. I do know that Richer Sounds will replace genuine OLED burn in issues though. I've got nothing against JL it's just that RS are superb.

Do they? When I mentioned it to my Richer Sounds shop the guy said they don't cover burn in.

I am pretty sure the JL page on the TV specifically mentions burn in as something that they cover?

Agree, my experience with RS is superb.

On the burn issue, tongue in cheek, wouldn't it be easier to have accidental damage cover in your home insurance and then if burn in appears have one of your kids accidentally knock it over :laugh:

Do you have a spare TV? Best thing would be to return for a refund/voucher credit and spend it at a time when TVs are cheaper. You'll get a lot back for your TU8500 because prices are on the high side and then you can put that toward a much better overall TV down the line.

For example, sub 55" the LG CX OLED.

Btw, 2m is very far to view even a 55" TV in my opinion. At that kind of distance I wouldn't think an 85" would be out of place. You should consider in this day and age if you plan to enjoy 4k content you will benefit from a bigger TV.

Better value options at 55" anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom