Official XBox Advanced Scart lead questions

kipper15

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought this lead on mail-order as I will be hooking up my XBox to a Pioneer AV amp for 5.1 sound.

A couple of questions:

I will not be able to use RGB with it as my Panasonic TV only has one RGB-enabled SCART input. The second SCART on my TV has S-VIDEO capability...does anyone know if the lead can support S-VIDEO picture or is it wired for RGB only? Presumably the lead is a fully-wired SCART and will therefore support S-VIDEO anyway?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a reasonably-priced but long (i.e. 3m) optical lead for the XBox? I don't really want to spend loads of £££ on one.

Thanks for your help.

Can't confirm if the Advanced AV pack outputs s-video (never tried it). It does composite but who wants that? :laugh:

Originally posted by kipper15
Also, does anyone know where I can get a reasonably-priced but long (i.e. 3m) optical lead for the XBox? I don't really want to spend loads of £££ on one.
What do you consider to be loads of £££?
£17.99 for a 3m Profigold over at Audiovisual Online (rrp is £30).

I'm using a cheap Maxiview 3m optic cable (surprisingly it's got gold plated tips) for my PS2. Picked it up in Homebase while buying some paint :blush: cost less than £5 :eek: does the job (sounds ok to me)...
I've got a QED one on my Xbox though. Tempted to try a Profigold myself (for my PS2), looks the biz...

Thanks. The Profigold 3m looks like it will do the job nicely, and at a nice price too.

I've got quite a lot of QED cables but their fibre optic lead is a bit pricey IMO. Shame they don't do a lower-cost one.

I will not be able to use RGB with it as my Panasonic TV only has one RGB-enabled SCART input.

:confused:

Take BJD's advice. Get a SCART switch box.
The one from Argos/Index is perfect for your needs.

Thanks guys...I might just do that. I did read somewhere that the S-Video picture on the Xbox is a nearly as good as RGB.

you could also maybe daisy-chain the xbox to your sky box if you have one (unless you have a dvd player doing this), most sky boxes do RGB passthru

Gary

The advanced scart is not wired for svideo. You can't do s-video and RGB simultaneously on a scart its one or the other. You would need to rewire the cable at the xbox end to access the correct pins for Y and C. Its probably doable ( I've rewired a couple of playstation scarts to output s-video.

It would be better and less hassle to go the switchbox route and maintain your sources as RGB .

Originally posted by Mr.D
It would be better and less hassle to go the switchbox route and maintain your sources as RGB .

Sure...but as an option for me to consider, do you know of anything a little more elaborate than the £10 Argos thingy? Ideally something that's remote controllable.

I was looking at QED's site earlier, thinking they may have something for SCART switching but they don't.

I bought the argos scart box and it's working very well - no noticeable drop in vision quality.

One question I had - I am also going to buy the optical connection for the xbox - can someone suggest where I can get hold of one - is it best to go with the official advanced scart lead connection ?

cheers.

I bought the shop branded one from Game works fine for me (£15.00) on me yam 5.1 though optical lead also use a scart box as perviously mentioned above but bought mine off E-bay for £2.99 and about £2 P&P not picture loss here

:smashin:

Originally posted by Warnie
I am also going to buy the optical connection for the xbox - can someone suggest where I can get hold of one - is it best to go with the official advanced scart lead connection ?

If you mean the Advanced SCART cable, I would have thought so. I do have one, just haven't connected it up yet. To enable to optical connection to my AV receiver I'll probably go for the Profigold 3m cable, as recommended earlier in the thread by Hikikomori.

Originally posted by nealgs
you could also maybe daisy-chain the xbox to your sky box if you have one (unless you have a dvd player doing this), most sky boxes do RGB passthru

Gary

Thinking about this, I guess I could daisy-chaing through my DVD player? It's a Pioneer DV-656A and it has a second SCART socket, so presumably I could get an RGB picture that way, without going the less elegant 'switch box' route.

Not all second scarts are RGB.
My Pioneer 717 has composite in only, no rgb pass-thru.

I am so utterly confused.

I have an old Hitachi Ilumina rear projection tele. I'd like to be able to get DD5.1 fom my sexBox. My TV has an on board dd and dts decoder. Do I need to purchase the advanced scart cable and a seperate optical lead? Or does the advanced scart cable take care of everything - so just plugging it into one of the three sockets on the tele will give me instant DD? (don't really think that's the case).

Originally posted by beng
I am so utterly confused.

I have an old Hitachi Ilumina rear projection tele. I'd like to be able to get DD5.1 fom my sexBox. My TV has an on board dd and dts decoder. Do I need to purchase the advanced scart cable and a seperate optical lead? Or does the advanced scart cable take care of everything - so just plugging it into one of the three sockets on the tele will give me instant DD? (don't really think that's the case).

DD5.1 signals cannot be carried by a SCART lead...the Xbox Advanced SCART cable gives you a SCART connection for your TV (picture and stereo sound) and an optical digital out for connecting to a DD amp/receiver.

So...you'd need to also connect an optical digital cable to the digital input of a DD amp...if the tele's built-in DD amp doesn't have an optical digital input you'll not be able to get DD5.1 from your Xbox without buying a separate AV amp or receiver.

sexbox...like it :D

Originally posted by Kevo
Not all second scarts are RGB.
My Pioneer 717 has composite in only, no rgb pass-thru.

Hmmm...the manual for the 656 says the second SCART can only output composite signals...nothing about loop through for RGB.

I hear what people say about purchasing a SCART splitter box but it's a tad messy IMO.

A bit miffed with Panasonic really...bought a TX32PL10 just before they were discontinued...only to find the newer TV's have more than one RGB-enabled SCART :(

Cheers Kipper.

It's got the input but it's currently occupied by the DVD player. I'd just have to keep switching them over. Or I could just buy an amp. I should get one anyway really. But that path leads to the darkside. First it's the amp. Then it's the speakers. Then it's the screen size. Then I'm penniless. Then I'm homeless. Then I'm dead.

Dramatic I know. Slightly implausible? Definitely :)

Originally posted by beng
Cheers Kipper.

It's got the input but it's currently occupied by the DVD player. I'd just have to keep switching them over. Or I could just buy an amp. I should get one anyway really. But that path leads to the darkside. First it's the amp. Then it's the speakers. Then it's the screen size. Then I'm penniless. Then I'm homeless. Then I'm dead.

Dramatic I know. Slightly implausible? Definitely :)

You got it all summarised just right I think ;)

Does your DVD player and tele have coax digital connections? That way you could free up the optical input for the (se)xbox.

Otherwise...it's a move over to the dark side for you I'm afraid :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom