Official Tosh 530 specs!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Captain chaos, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone wants to know the details about the Tosh 530, I have an unofficial photocopy of an offical Toshiba document.

I have heard nothing about this player in the press, or on Tosh's website.

Its PAL progressive anyway.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Toshiba's website always seems to be pretty slow at updating thier product line.
    Does it mention which de-interlacer it uses?

Cheers

3. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No its actually pretty hopeless, if you post your email, I will scan in the PR and mail it to you.

4. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Isn't this player supposed to be out now?

I'm waiting to hear how good this one is comared to the Sony 930.

5. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,752
    I have seen it advertised, but they have been awaiting stock for at least a month.

Quite keen to see how this machine performs.

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    Me too.. I want a PAL Progressive player and the 530 has all the features that I want.

However, a number of colleagues bought the 510, and whilst they were generally happy, one of them suffered badly with 'overheating', 'skipping' and various other problems, which they didn't expect on a player of this calibre.

His may have just a faulty player, but it went back for 'repair' and they couldn't find a fault.

After reading John Archers review of the 930, I can't help thinking that its the best choice especially considering you can get it for less than £220 (And the base of his review was that it was a bargin for £300).. But I would still like to see the Tosh530 first, just in case!

7. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I feel that generally the tosh's are more reliable than the Sony's. Also I'm still worried bout the lip sync issue when using progressive players, which hopefully the tosh takes account of.

Finally I hate layer changes and the fact that the tosh takes about a second to change layers does not endear me to it.

8. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Asked about 530 at Comet and it is not even in their system

9. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nor ours (John Lewis)

10. magna

magna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re Toshibs 530

Richer Sounds (Hull branch) had some in stock last Friday @£179.95 multi region.

11. AndyL

AndyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a Tosh 530 player last Friday, replacing the Cambridge Audio DVD-55 player at Richer Sounds, after problems with sound popping and stuttering images on some DVDs. Although I was really impressed with the 55's audio and picture quality, the Tosh is very good, too, just not quite matching the Cambridge Audio but at least no problem with playing the DVDs so far.

I noticed a message regarding layer change, something I was really impressed with both the Cambridge and the Tosh 530 is that you cannot see the layer changes! I suspected on one of the discs where it was but there was no real pause, nor change in sound, it was probably only because I knew where the layer change is that I was aware of it!

Only gripe would be that I rented 'Bowling for Columbine' (R2) last night and noticed lip-sync problems by the second half of the disc. It is out by around a second, first time I noticed it (although suspected Two Towers-EE (R1) suffered very very slightly, too).

I am willing to live with it, if this is rare, I have six days left to change the player before probs might arise (Richer Sounds were very helpful with the Cambridge, as I had bought the player 2 months previously).

I wonder if anyone else has had this problems with this disk?

12. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is this availble in black?

13. AndyL

AndyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I know of. Just played another couple of disks, no probs with lip-sync, convinced it is to do with the Bowling DVD itself.

Another small prob is when playing Two Towers EE commentaries as the name of each contributor pops up it is two places instead of just above, also below but a few lines distorts it. If you zoom in you lose them, meaning you lose some of the picture but then again when I am listening to commentaries I'm more interested in what they are saying.

I thought it might be to do with the DVD created titles, so checked out the subtitles on the disc but they are fine. Still very pleased with the player.

14. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is it PAL prog out of the box & is the pic quality a lot better?

15. AndyL

AndyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PAL progressive can be easily set but as I haven't a progressive scan TV I have no idea what PQ is like. Zooming in on DVDs I would say that it is as good as the Camb Audio DVD-55, if not better.

Played more DVDs since, still no lip-sync pob.