Official Studio Ghibli DVD & Blu Ray Thread

The Batman

Established Member
Reaction score
So, since I haven't seen one of these threads made yet I thought we need one. I am increasingly becoming a massive Ghibli fan, I've seen Grave Of The Fireflies and Spirited Away so far, and I am mesmerised. They are truly works of art, I can't wait to see the rest.

I have also listed Pre Ghibli films, because they are worth a mention.

Films In Blue, I have seen

What's your favourite ?

Pre Ghibli

Hols: Prince of the Sun [1968]
Little Norse Prince [1968]
The Wonderful World of Puss 'n Boots [1969]
Animal Treasure Island [1971]
Panda Go Panda! [1972]
Castle Of Cagliostro [1979]
Taro, the Son of Dragon [1979]
Chie the Brat [1981]
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind [1984]

Films

Castle in the Sky August 2, 1986
Grave of the Fireflies April 16, 1988
My Neighbor Totoro April 16, 1988
Kiki's Delivery Service July 29, 1989
Only Yesterday July 20, 1991
Porco Rosso July 28, 1992
Pom Poko July 16, 1994
Whisper of the Heart July 15, 1995
Princess Mononoke July 12, 1997
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away July 27, 2001
The Cat Returns July 19, 2002
Howl's Moving Castle November 20, 2004
Tales from Earthsea July 29, 2006
Ponyo July 19, 2008
Arrietty July 17, 2010
From Up on Poppy Hill July 16, 2011

Television films

Ocean Waves May 5, 1993

In Production

The Wind Is Rising July 20, 2013
The Tale of Princess Kaguya 2013 (Fall)

Last edited:
Nausicaä, My Neighbour Totoro and Princess Mononoke are generally regarded as classics in the Ghibli filmography as far as I know. My sister collects all the films but I haven't seen them all as a lot of them seem to target children or the Japanese market, but from the ones I have seen my favourite hands down is Princess Mononoke.

Critically, the films that have been most successful in the west are Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo. Out of those Spirited Away is a clear winner, and probably my second favourite Ghibli film. The only others I think I've seen are Laputa, Kiki's Delivery Service and The Cat Returns - all were well-animated but not really my thing! Ghibli are great though when they want to be and generally (like Pixar) try to branch out and there's something for everyone.

We definitely needed a thread on this, a lot of ghibli discussion has taken place on arriety thread.

I have nausica, totoro, howls, ponyo, laputa, and whisper of the heart on blu-ray, all look superb. I'll be getting most of the blus when released, execpt maybe earthsea which was a bit dull and maybe not yamadas which looks like it doesn't travel well.

To the list I'd add this one:

Castle Of Cagliostro (Blu-ray + DVD) [1979]:Amazon:Film & TV

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yeah, I want to get them all on Blu Ray, but for now with a low budget it's DVD or nothing. The classics are what I want to see first the classics, yeah Earthsea and Yamadas I think are the lowest rated out of the Ghibli films.

Yeah, I saw so many threads all random, I felt we needed a complete thread.

Yeah, I want to get them on Blu Ray but £15-£18 a film is a tad expensive, even second hand they are really expensive.

From Up on Poppy Hill is up for pre -order now - released on September 23rd. I can't wait!! Feels like much too long since I've seen a brand new Ghibli film (Arriety)

Amazon have the standard edition for £17.60 with a deluxe edition for £20.87. I'd expect one to come down to £15.99 before release hopefully

Yeah, it's like a drug. You keep needing a new dose, I still have loads to see but From Up On Poppy Hill looks good. What does the deluxe edition entail ?

have i missed the latest 2 releases? i have 10 ghibli blurays (including castle of cagliostro) and have Grave and Kikis been released?

My Neighbor Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle came out May 21st. They I believe, were the two most recent. I am not sure where to get them though, Amazon.uk only have a few released.

My Neighbor Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle came out May 21st. They I believe, were the two most recent. I am not sure where to get them though, Amazon.uk only have a few released.

ah right i have them, but it seems as suspected Kiki's Delivery Service and Grave Of The Fireflies came out on July 1st.

actually looking for ghibli on amazon they have all 12 current bluray releases and some fair prices. kiki's is still £15 but they have grave of the fireflies for only £12.75 which for a new ghibli release is cheap. will be flubiting that before it rises in price, should drop it close to £10.

Yeah, I will be getting them all. I am just waiting for the price to drop a little, in CEX they sell the DVD's for £10-£15, it's ridiculous prices, but I tend to sell a lot to CEX so I have exchange vouchers.

You're lucky you have some, I wish I had some. I have 1 DVD that's it lol.

What ones do you think will rise ?

Using flubit i managed to get my neighbour totoro for £6.80 which ain't to bad

Yeah, I will be getting them all. I am just waiting for the price to drop a little, in CEX they sell the DVD's for £10-£15, it's ridiculous prices, but I tend to sell a lot to CEX so I have exchange vouchers.

You're lucky you have some, I wish I had some. I have 1 DVD that's it lol.

What ones do you think will rise ?

well none are really limited although the ponyo collectors edition is hard to find. most of the others are widely available for a while.

i have 10 of the 12 uk bluray releases and just bought grave of the fireflies for £11.14 using flubit so just need to wait for kiki's delivery service to drop a few quid then ill pick that up. i like the fact they come in double play form and have nice matching slipcases.

i think when spirited away comes about people will go for it in a big way, as many non ghibli fans love that movie.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've never heard of flubit ?. Yeah, I have The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on DVD, great film I agree. Summer wars was amazing as well.

I bought all the ghibli's on DVD, and not I'm upgrading them all to Blu. A few years ago play did a 2 for £10 on Ghiblis and filled in all the gaps in my collection, but I'm still happy to upgrade them all to HD.

What does the deluxe edition entail ?

The Arrietty and Ponyo deluxe editions came in a digi-book with postcards, art cards and stickers. Not heard anything yet about this one, but I imagine it will be the same or similar

I bought all the ghibli's on DVD, and not I'm upgrading them all to Blu. A few years ago play did a 2 for £10 on Ghiblis and filled in all the gaps in my collection, but I'm still happy to upgrade them all to HD.

The Arrietty and Ponyo deluxe editions came in a digi-book with postcards, art cards and stickers. Not heard anything yet about this one, but I imagine it will be the same or similar

Digipacks not digibooks :)

I don't have the ponyo one but the arietty has a different material for the packaging. Looks cool.

There's a difference?

Yeah digibooks are like digipacks but with a booklet attatched inside. So it's like a book. The packaging is usually very strong too.

Have a look on YouTube there are lots of digibooks there.

s/h ?, that's a pretty good price. Blu Ray or DVD ?.

Wow, that's great. I just picked up Arrietty for £8.50 Double Pack, where did you get that from ?.

I been buying from my local shops that sell s/h blu rays for years,sometimes its just the luck of being the right place at the right times,and sometimes they know what i am after and keep it for me :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom