Official Panasonic 2010 UK HDTV Product information & pricing thread - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost ready to push to buy button on the txp42g20 as this looks miles better than my 4 year old sony 32" lcd and have a couple of questions. The usb hard disk drive recording - i'm assuming a standard external usb hard drive will do the trick. Also anybody know whether this hdd solution will be able to record a freeview hd signal?

If it exists, it will be visible when viewing colour gradients - for example from dark blue to light blue. A good example is blue skies, or the screen you get when you turn on the PS3.

It had just been installed prior to my arrival and was showing blu-ray as was a S10/11 42" £699.99, which was next to it. I am not very much into colours, but the staff were praising the deeper colours of the G20. I want to see it showing SD before I can comment constructively. I had difficulty in seeing the exact colour of the frame due to the lighting, but it looked black and I expected to see a shade of blue. Have I missed something?

I just went into Comet in Cambridge, and they were unpacking the 42G20 when I arrived, so I didn't get to see it in action. It is a fairly good looking set, though - I am glad they did away with the silver line at the bottom. The blue gradient at the bottom is only really visible from certain angles and I imagine it will be hard to spot in the dark. It is a lot more subtle than the silver one, anyway.

Hmmm, this is kinda getting difficult for me... I was planning on buying the 46G20, Which sells in Belgium for around 1050EUR. After reading the review, I'm having some second thoughts thoughts... I can imagine that the blacklevels of the V20 will be (a lot) better than those of the g20 and I'd hate to pay 1050 quid for a set that 'll be a lot less performing than the 42V20, which will sell for give or take the same price...

Should I give in on the 4 inches and go with the V, or decide to go with the G anyways...

Looking forward to seeing Phil's review, hopefully that 'll clarify some things for me :eek:

Hmmm, this is kinda getting difficult for me... I was planning on buying the 46G20, Which sells in Belgium for around 1050EUR. After reading the review, I'm having some second thoughts thoughts... I can imagine that the blacklevels of the V20 will be (a lot) better than those of the g20 and I'd hate to pay 1050 quid for a set that 'll be a lot less performing than the 42V20, which will sell for give or take the same price...

Should I give in on the 4 inches and go with the V, or decide to go with the G anyways...

Looking forward to seeing Phil's review, hopefully that 'll clarify some things for me :eek:

Quality over quantity everytime.:devil:

when will avforums post their review about the g20?
maybe i trust them more haha

Just waiting on the TV arriving, hoping it will be by weeks end, then a few days to review it. David will be covering it.

Good review from Flatpanels, they do things far better than most out there reviewing. However, the video processing was done in one or two lines and this is one area that needs better information. Plus there was no real testing of the colour gamut performance and I am always dubious of black level measurements due to the difficulty of doing such with normal meters which are poor at picking up light at such low levels. It also tells you nothing about the actual contrast performance and dynamic range which is far more important for image quality, however the hints at better shadow detailing point to good perceived contrast and dynamic range. The new filter for rejecting ambient light looks like it is doing its job. Looking forward to fully testing one.

Last edited:
I have been told V20 will be out around June 1st which is ages for me as I am currently using an in between CRT TV :(

Hope it comes quicker though:lease:

Same here. I sold my sony X3000 in anticipation of the 3D sets and i am using a old panasonic CRT :(

Ermm someone had posted a link to a review of the g20 and now it has been removed, why has it been taken off the boards?

Ermm someone had posted a link to a review of the g20 and now it has been removed, why has it been taken off the boards?

Because it was posted a few times in the threads like here, there is no need for a separate thread.

Something which just came to mind, Is the difference between the V20 on a 42" realy visible compared to a 46 G20. (Distance of around 2-4 meters)

I still have a CRT for the moment, never know otherwise either, so I'd reckon that both 'll be kind of an enlightenment? What simply worries me on the G20 is that I'd also use it as a PC-screen, so I'll often be about 1.5m away from the screen. Since the G10 had a lot of plasma distortion (not sure if it's the correct word though :p), I stalled myself from buying, guess that didn't do me much good? :s And the banding is also something worth worrying about i guess... Phil, did you notice any of these things during CES of the panny presentation days?

V20 btw only in silver color? :eek: No black frame? (I've been putting all eyes on the g20, so I'm not really in the V20 market :p)

Last edited:
Just waiting on the TV arriving, hoping it will be by weeks end, then a few days to review it. David will be covering it.

Good review from Flatpanels, they do things far better than most out there reviewing. However, the video processing was done in one or two lines and this is one area that needs better information. Plus there was no real testing of the colour gamut performance and I am always dubious of black level measurements due to the difficulty of doing such with normal meters which are poor at picking up light at such low levels. It also tells you nothing about the actual contrast performance and dynamic range which is far more important for image quality, however the hints at better shadow detailing point to good perceived contrast and dynamic range. The new filter for rejecting ambient light looks like it is doing its job. Looking forward to fully testing one.

oke Thank you Phil.

what do you mean with:
the video processing was done in one or two lines and this is one area that needs better information?

is it so hard to measure the black level perfect? is there much difference in measurements for measure the black level?

i think the g20 is going to be a good screen( i keep my trust haha)

i will look forward to the review :thumbsup:

oke Thank you Phil.

...is it so hard to measure the black level perfect? is there much difference in measurements for measure the black level?

Quite difficult indeed. Default colorimeters like Spyder TV and so are very bad at measuring black levels of modern tv's. The resulting contrast ratio depends heavily on the actual black level, so that becomes a meaningless number too.

Quite difficult indeed. Default colorimeters like Spyder TV and so are very bad at measuring black levels of modern tv's. The resulting contrast ratio depends heavily on the actual black level, so that becomes a meaningless number too.

thanks for your quick answer Grrrrene :)

so the black level from the review is not perfect measured? and maybe its lower than 0.04cd/m2?

thanks for your quick answer Grrrrene :)

so the black level from the review is not perfect measured? and maybe its lower than 0.04cd/m2?
If I'm not mistaken they don't list their colorimeter or whatever they used to measure black level. Also they don't say how they measured the power consumption (i.e. what picture was the tv showing). Again: if I'm not mistaken, I haven't taken the time to re-read the review thoroughly :)

slightly off-topic but has anyone who has been into see the G20's in store today noticed any knocked-down bargain G10's or will retailers sell the two along-side each other?

I don't think the number is important here. The reviewer really felt that only models from V20 up will offer that inky black viewing experience and was left craving for more with the G20 review sample. I liked the shadow detail comment, though.

I don't think the number is important here. The reviewer really felt that only models from V20 up will offer that inky black viewing experience and was left craving for more with the G20 review sample. I liked the shadow detail comment, though.

It's things like these that make me wonder if I'd better go with a (smaller) V20...:thumbsdow

Im abit disappointed with the flatpanels review,i was hoping to upgrade my G10 to the G20 but after reading that and the blacks being more or less the same as the G10 i dont think i will bother,so much for the kuro tech that was being mentioned for the G20:thumbsdow

UK specs for the G20 now online and mentions mp3 playback for Viera Viewer

Ah, good spot! So at the very least music could be played via USB drive - I could live with that if DLNA didn't support it - just stick my backup drive for my NAS in there.

Why my threads are deleted all the time???

It is because this review has already been highlighted/linked to earlier, so effectively your post is a late duplication;)

Oh...all OK:thumbsup: so i was not the first posting the review:D:D

V20 will not be at kuro level and i dont mind if VT's are because
they ll be as expensive as a Kuro and worst built

the great advance is the Gamut perfection although
they have not the high class color palette of Pioneer,Loewe
or Bang&Olufsen

Samsung makes amazing Black filters for LCD and Plasma
they deserve to take a look

Last edited:
[English only please]

Last edited by a moderator:
V20 will not be at kuro level and i dont mind if VT's are because
they ll be as expensive as a Kuro and worst built

Do you have a review of first-hand experience to back up those claims? If not, can I borrow that crystal ball? :D

V20 will not be at kuro level and i dont mind if VT's are because they ll be as expensive as a Kuro and worst built

You don't know that.

As for price, the 50VT20 is likely to be sub £2k, perhaps considerably less. Not sure Pioneers were that cheap.

You don't know that.

As for price, the 50VT20 is likely to be sub £2k, perhaps considerably less. Not sure Pioneers were that cheap.

The 5090 launched at £1699 not four times the launch price of the 50G20 which some loons are claiming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom