Official Panasonic 2010 UK HDTV Product information & pricing thread - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
So it seems the G20 is a small improvement over the 2009 G10 and V10 models, but the real improvement, especially in black levels and with fixing the phosphor trailing, is in the V20 and VT20. May contemplate on getting a V model now.

There is still some confusion as to whether the V20 will have the improved phosphor, most indications are that it will only be in the VT20;)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Phil, you guys going to give the g20 a couple of hours of runtime, like a small 100 hours, before doing the review? ^^

It will be soaked for as long as we can before any serious reviewing. Just don't start moaning that its taking too long! :rotfl:

twa00

It will be soaked for as long as we can before any serious reviewing. Just don't start moaning that its taking too long! :rotfl:

As a guy that has already ordered the 50G20, take as long as necessary to provide a realistic evaluation that will help me improve the box when it arrives.

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
In previous years that woudl make sense but the way they are pushing 3D this year almost makes the Z series feel out of date without it.

and the faster phospers and kuro tech, I don't see how panasonic could say with a straight face that the flagship is the z1 and it's worth the money. If dealers were struggling to sell them before they have no chance now

and the faster phospers and kuro tech, I don't see how panasonic could say with a straight face that the flagship is the z1 and it's worth the money. If dealers were struggling to sell them before they have no chance now

Is the target market for the Z1 videophiles who will know what faster phosphors and Kuro tech is though? Sure some videophiles will want it, but to me it seems to be more of a boutique, exclusive line with a different customer in mind. Someone who thinks less of the price tag, VFM and performance against style. Wireless functionality aside, did it offer anything that wasn't available at a third of the price on the 2009 sets anyhow?

Weren't there rumours of a Z2 in September?

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
Is the target market for the Z1 videophiles who will know what faster phosphors and Kuro tech is though? Sure some videophiles will want it, but to me it seems to be more of a boutique, exclusive line with a different customer in mind. Someone who thinks less of the price tag, VFM and performance against style. Wireless functionality aside, did it offer anything that wasn't available at a third of the price on the 2009 sets anyhow?

Weren't there rumours of a Z2 in September?

Thats true but nice looks and stupid price arn't really enough to call it a flagship when it has less performance and doesn't have the big 2010 feature (3d) and doesn't come in the big size (65), you are right though there is probably is a tiny market left for people who put style above all else and don't care for value at all.

It was the flagship in 2009 everything about it was the top of the line for panasonic, now it has looks, wireless and a fracking ludicrous price tag hard to make that sale really. People with that ammount of money are likely to find the 65 inch VT20 much more attractive. They will get many more oohs from the rich friends over size than over a smaller z1's styling.

stanleyntl

Is the S20 model NeoPDP this year?
Does this have gamma and white balance controls restored?
Do either S20 or G20 have 4pin s-video socket on the side as per last year's models?

beagle five

The review on FlatpanelsHD specifically praised the SD performance of the G20. Funny how the Danish version of the test uses the word "beautiful", when it is merely "quite good" in the English translation. This must be in British English (typically understated and all)... :D

Remember that gambling on better SD on the X20 might not yield better results, and it will most definitely give you a poorer black level (probably an inferior all-round PQ).

played around with a G20 all day and a little bit with an X20 to and can say that the sd performance of the x20 have not evolved in any way from the x10, a px80 still look MUCH better in that regard I am sad to say.

the G20 is a great tv and I can see a little pioneer influence over the picture but its not more then that.

its a slim nice looking set, love the little line running through the panasonic logo on the bottom of the frame, looks like it sticks out but it doesnt.

the thx mode is way to murky for me, but I like the fact that it turns of overscan when you choose it though.

I like the Tv but I am not going to buy it for myself, hoping that the V20 lives up to the hype.

alsina

Can anyone state categorically that we won't be getting a 54" or 58" V20 in the uk ever, or will they maybe come along a little later (I have measured my space, and 50" will be too small and 65" too big - so SWMBO says!!)

Absolutely no plans for these sizes at the moment.

NikoDM

Standard Member
Alsina, any idea if the 42V20 'll go roughly around the same price as the 46G20?

I'm wondering wether this telly 'll be on the market before May :eek:

calibos

Only read back a few pages but am I right in understanding that the G20 is only a marginal improvement on the G10 but that it has solved the 'trails' issue? Next question :) Is the Trails issue a new problem that came in with the G series or have all Panny plasmas for generations had it? For instance, is the PX70 series supposed to have it? I've got 2x 42" PX70's and 1x 36" PX70. I don't see any image artifacts and I am happy with the blacks. Does this mean I need not worry about getting a G10 even if it has the trailing issue. ie. If the G20 is only a marginal improvement on the G10 and solves an issue that I do not notice anyway, well then I would be happy enough to pick up a 50G10 for the bargain prices they are going for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom