Official Pal Progressive Yet?

calibos

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know whether the Dvd consortium or whatever its called made a decision on Pal Progressive yet? They were meeting in early to mid September.

The DVD consortium absolutely cannot make this decision, contrary to what others have said. They sent a letter to the DVD CCA (Copy Control Association) in the USA supporting 625p last November, signed by 17 Consortium members and 4 UK DVD manufacturers, including Arcam, but to no avail so far.

However the (probably) good news is that the next meeting of the DVD CCA in a couple of weeks time has a motion on the agenda to get 625p "legalised" (i.e. included in the CSS - Content Scramble System - licence). I understand the studios do not oppose this. We shall see what happens.

John Dawson (Arcam)

Thanks John
Originally posted by John Dawson

However the (probably) good news is that the next meeting of the DVD CCA in a couple of weeks time has a motion on the agenda to get 625p "legalised" (i.e. included in the CSS - Content Scramble System - licence). I understand the studios do not oppose this. We shall see what happens.
Thats good news:) I remember reading in HCC a month or two ago about the possibilty of 625p in the near future but hadn't heard anything since. HCC also said that the major hardware manufacturers would probably have 625p capable equipment ready for market almost immediately once 625p was sanctioned officially. I hope this is also true.

so what is pal progressive then, 625p or 576p (or are they actually the same). Infact what is the proper wording for NTSC progressive, 480p or 525p.? Just curious.>:)

They are 480p and 576p, the extra lines are for Teletext and blanking info, ie; they're not actual picture info.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom