1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official newbie question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Draeth, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Draeth

Draeth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got everything put together and tried hooking it up to my tv, the screen is larger than the tv and scrolls around and there is a flicker to it also.
    I need to know what programs I need (powerstrip?) and what settings to use to get a normal looking screen for games/DVD/ internet.
    Here are my specs
    ASUS A7N8X-e using SPDIF out onboard.
    AMD 2500+ @ 1900mhz
    512 MB Kingston VR
    ATI Radeon 9600pro connected via component adapter on the DVI port.
    TV= Sony 32" flat screen (non HDTV)

I tried messing with some of the settings and now after windows starts it just goes to a black screen. I feel I'm going to have to hook up a monitor to correct that.

Any help would be appreciated. :lease:

2. Draeth

Draeth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geez, I would have figured at least one person would know how to hook up a pc to a tv here. Not everyone can afford projectors.

3. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds like your screen resolution is incorrectly set. I had the same problem with my laptop earlier today, my TV wanted 1024x768 @60hz.

4. Draeth

Draeth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried that all it did was make the scrolling area larger. :(
    I tried hooking up an S video cable to the TV instead of the component and the screen showed up on booting perfectly.
    Is it possible that component connections to a SDTV don't work except for DVD players?

5. witty_name

witty_name

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a similar set up, except I just use the s-video conecter (via a scart adapter). To get the screen size correct I had to use my Nvidea's output source settings, and also my Sony TV's screen settings (selecting "widescreen" rather than "smart"). The picture now fits perfectly, and is fine for both DVDs and games. The smaller text is obviously not as clear as on a proper monitor, but I don't need that high a definition for my needs.