1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official: Moire is an unknown issue to Loewe

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Londondecca, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Got my Loewe Aconda back today, the engineer said that it was suffering from moire problems but they had spoken to Loewe and it was not an known problem and therefore there was nothing they could do :(

They said I could phone Loewe myself and try and fix the problem. Anyone have the contact details for Loewe in the UK?

For an official service centre, this shop does not seem to be set up to resolve technical problems

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Loewe HQ is in Prestwick Scotland I believe. I'd think that your dealer could give you number or you could call Linn Products and ask them for the number.

Gordon

3. mgns

mgns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    From the back of a catalogue:

Loewe UK + Ireland
    LinnSight Ltd
    Floors Road
    Waterfoot
    Glasgow
    G76 0EP
    Freephone: 0800 027 64 65
    loewe@loewe.de

mgns

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thank you gentlemen, I am sorry if my frustrations leak out every now and then.

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a link [thread=51973]here[/thread] to a thread which covers the Loewe moire problem. There's some details of Loewe's explaination of why it occurs, and also a fix for the problem suggested by Loewe themselves, although the "fix" introduces some problems of its' own.

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks, I had seen this thread. I guess I am angry or frustrated when a engineer keeps my TV for 2 weeks and then says I should speak to Loewe.

I recently paid a lot of money for this TV and bought it from this shop as they claim to be an official service centre with large resources and skills.

One thing I have noticed is the very little difference in picture quality between composite and RGB or s-video. The shop said this is normal yet on my old panasonic PD30 and Toshiba, there was a large difference. Any significance with this?

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Londondecca,

I trained as an ISF calibration engineer at Linn's premises in Glasgow. All the displays that we worked on were Loewes. They give stunning picture quality when set uo properly.

Component input or DVI, properly calibrated is your answer.

Piers

Home Cinema Enginering

www.homecinemaengineering.com

8. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOEWE....LINN??????

What's this?? Ivor selling TVs?

Its the beginning of the end, I tell you.....next thing he'll be buying Dixons!:laugh:

9. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Unfortunately, my Aconda does not have either component or DVI.

If I could resolve the problems with these lines, I would be happy as in every other respect, I am pleased with it.

Should there be any differences between composite and RGB.

I have the DVE disk to set up the basics but on the test card sections, wherever there is any letters or numbers, these letters flicker horribly as do any graphics with Freeview

10. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There should be a noticeable difference when changing to RGB/S-Video from composite... Pictures should be clearer, cleaner, more stable and with a better colour balance.

Now, I'm not familiar with Loewe kit, so don't know their config, etc., but...
    Check that your 'output device' (e.g. DVD player, set-top box) is set to RGB, use the relevant SCART - and a fully-wired SCART lead (pref a decent cable: IXOS, QED, etc., and not the pre-supplied rubbish).

As you know, on the Panny PD30, for example, the TV automatically recognises the input signal type, or you can 'force' the change by pressing the AV button and scrolling though the diff types. I don't know if the Loewe automatically senses like the PD30, or if you need to force it, or if you have to go into a menu and 'assign' a source signal type to each SCART/input (my cousin's JVC is set-up via the latter method).

As an aside, I bought the PD30, instead of a Loewe, as it had component inputs, through which the picture is superb (even though I'm only using interlaced, not prog scan - long story!)

11. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I phoned up Loewe and had a chat with a engineer who seemed to know what I was talking about, he said he would contact the shop and see what could be arranged. He thought it might be a faulty board but I cannot remember what it was called.

10 minutes later the shop phone me and made arrangement to pick the TV up this weekend. Apparently I was the cause of the problem as I had told them about a different fault :nono: Anyway I know hope my TV will be fixed some time next week

12. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got an Articos and the picture is sublime using a QED AV29 cable which is a Componet to Scart lead, Loewe TV's will accept a component signal via the AV3 slot. The lead is designed specifically for loewe TV's, it doesn't however offer that much improvement over normal RGB scart.

I do have traces of the Moire effect on certain NTSC discs although when I get around to it I will try the fix that Groundy posted a while back. My DVD collection is predominantly R2 anyway and the effect is so minimal it's not a problem

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have a loewe nemos 32.
    It does not have the moire problem but does suffer with some other issues. I have a feeling that loewe just dont make them like they used to. I am now thinking of getting rid of the nemos and buying a plasma.
    One of my major concerens is the picture resultion. It seems that if the picture has any bulidings in it or blinds on a window, grills on the front of cars ect, you get a lot of jagged lines and some times the tv just does not know how to deal with it at all. I have tried the sharpness down and up and in the middel. I have tried the noise reduction on and off. It does not make any difference. The picture apart from that is quite good though. However I can see very little difference between rgb ,svideo and composite and I am using the lead from qed that will alllow component into scart.
    Perhaps I am being a little to picky but I had high expectaions from loewe and feel quite let down.
    Londondecca............ Please let us know what happens with your tv and if it gets fixed or not, us loewe owners have to stick together :)

14. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Did I say my TV was going to be picked up this weekend? Well, apparently not. I received a message saying the salesman will make contact with to so that he could view the problem.

Not quite sure if the salesman is an engineer, so I went to the shop to have a chat with him. It turns out he is on annual leave so I went through the whole story with another salesman. We looked at another Loewe set to see if this had a similar problem - it didn't. This I guess is good as it shows my TV is faulty.

I was informed the TV would not be collected as they did not want to get into an endless cycle of picking up and returning my TV and therefore he would phone Loewe and see if there was a fix. I responded by saying Loewe had arranged for the TV to be sent back in order that the engineer could look deeper. This was dismissed. I asked what happens if the person you speak to says there is no fix, I was told I would get my money back, no suggestion of a replacement TV.

Aside from this fault, I am happy with my Loewe and I don't really have a desire to start looking at a replacement TV.

Maybe the salesman was a qualified engineer with skills that do not require any tools to diagnose problems or maybe the shop does not like people who have faulty Loewe's.

15. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If they are offering you your money back - take it, and take your custom elsewhere. You are not a 'test bed' for consumer goods manufacturers. regards, yt.