The Matrix Resurrections (22 Dec 2021) directed by Lana Wachowski

Rate me

• Total voters
I remember walking out of the cinema after the first Matrix and thinking "wow, what a film!". I did go to see 2 & 3, but wasn't overly enthralled.
As for 4 & 5, well, unless they do something really special and the initial reviews are positive then I probably won't bother.

I have to admit to hating The Matrix, the first time I saw it. The Mummy came out the same year and I know which one I enjoyed more.

I saw nothing original in it and the so-called 'revolutionary' effects, didn't look revolutionary at all. Bullet-time consisted of the camera moving around an object, whoop-de-do, Basil!

While it had some smarts going for it, I was devouring anime and Hong Kong movies, so it was nothing I hadn't seen before. Same with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Mainstream western audiences lapped it up, they weren't familiar with Wuxia movies and although they tried to tart it up as an arthouse pic, it was far from it. It bored the t*ts off of me, I'd seen far better examples of the genre.

I can watch The Matrix now, as an enjoyable slice of action and science fiction, but one grudge I still hold against it, is that the Japanese were so taken with it, so determined to distill what made it cool, that it ruined Japanese cinema for years. Check out Returner, if you don't believe me.

They should have stopped at the first one...I watched the second one and after the hippy rave was willing the machines to wipe everyone out.

And Fight Club.

The Matrix rumor has resurfaced today, scoopers Latino Review are suggesting The Wachowski’s have started the writing process with early treatments and outlines for a new trilogy which have been passed onto the studio.

Ita a pity that their last two films were failures, as the Warchowskis are the most innovative and risk taking film makers around. I enjoyed every single one of their films. Both Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas were great films and dared to be different even though they have polarising effects on the audience. But because not enough appreciated the craftsmanship of those last two films, they are forced to waste their talents on three prequels for an existing successful franchise. Quite frankly I have no interest in on the origins of Zion etc.

I say all that as speculation, though, maybe Warchowskis really do want to tell the prequel stories.

For the record, I absolutely love the first two films but the third film completely fell over itself with only Agent Smith stealing the show...I hope Hugo Weaving can be weaved into the prequels somehow.

I remember when that first rumour started up, it was bull **** then and I'm not convinced this time either. Given the run of duds that the Wachowskis are on - which includes the last Matrix movie - I'd be very surprised if Warners were to turn to them. Yeah, Warners are desperate for new franchises, but that's been the case for a while and if they can do Batman vs Superman right then they can launch their own Justice League tie-up which should keep them going for a while.

The Matrix...I could never see what all the fuss was about.

The Matrix...I could never see what all the fuss was about.

Well whether one actually enjoys it or not, (which is understandable) it was hands down a visually pioneering film with a very high concept storyline and much more importantantly had many memorable moments that are often quoted, spoofed, homaged and have inspired many other films since.

I think that qualifies to be "fussed" over. I don't think one has to actually like the film to appreciate what it delivered.

It's not actually in my top favourite films but as I mentioned in my previous post the Warchowskis are radical film makers and in a world where everyone moans that we don't get anything original, (which is not true, i have seen a plethora of original films but no one goes to bloody see them) here we have film makers that strive to do just that with nearly all their movies, some with success, some with failure, so it would be nice if execs and moviegoers give them more encouragement and when they fail, support them to succeed next time.

I just thought it was boring as hell to be frank. And was it really that radical? Bullet time is all I remember from it, and that got old really quickly. As for the high concept storyline, well all I saw was a rip off of Buddhism and the Swedish RPG Kult. Nothing new under the sun as far as I could see.

I just thought it was boring as hell to be frank. And was it really that radical? Bullet time is all I remember from it, and that got old really quickly. As for the high concept storyline, well all I saw was a rip off of Buddhism and the Swedish RPG Kult. Nothing new under the sun as far as I could see.

And you absolutely nailed the one reason it made such a fuss...."Bullet Time" ,indeed! Whether it got old quickly is irrelevant. It was radical at the time and I personally think it still is.

I guess you solved your own puzzle ;)

I thought you might like that sort of movie, though, so I am a bit surprised but that's fair enough about what you thought about it. However, one might as well wonder the same for Star Wars (I pick on that because I know you are also a great fan), absolutely nothing original about that either, dialogue is corny and its all rather silly, and you know I say that with utmost affection being one of the biggest Star Wars fan on this forum (I dare anyone to compete with me on that). Yet Star Wars made a fuss because it re-invented the cheesy western into a cheesy space opera that blew most people senses away with its radical cinematic presentation.

Matrix did the same but with a completely different aesthetic, and I suppose to an
acquired taste...and that is what the Warchowskis are, a very rare auteur film making team given big budgets to play with.

Matrix may be boring to you and I am sure to many others but to the rest, its absolutely geeky science fiction of the highest order with a plethora of memorable and very cool moments, the CGI warping effects were also pretty rad...and it too is cheesy (come on it has Keanu Reeves, it has to be). All of that given the most visceral cinematic presentation, in my humble opinion was worth all the fuss it got.

I am not trying to counter your view on Matrix, by the way, I totally respect and understand your reception to it. Its just you wonder what the fuss is about, so I am trying extrapolate what is it about it, that creates it. I hate Coen Bros' No Country for Old Men for instance but I absolutely appreciate why its considered a great movie to everyone...I just dont like it.

Even though the much-lauded bullet time shennanigans had been seen before (in that Smirnoff Vodka advert for a start) I do think the Matrix is very good science fiction. Its cautionary, existential, dramatic and cerebral, and presented with exceptional style and grace. I really like the film still, and think I should re-visit it soon.

The problem is as a franchise it kind of disappeared up its own backside. Like a joke that gets old after its been told once, the sequel makes the concept look trite and even a little stupid. Plus (as Rebel_Scum said earlier) it had too big an influence on western cinema forcing us to endure ever more silly, over-choreographed combat scenes. The Bourne movies redressed that balance by returning to much more gritty and plausible fight scenes that I vastly prefer to all that slo-mo nonsnese. However in its own self-contained world, the original Matrix is a classic. I can certainly live without another sequel.

i think everyone needs to remember........................there is no spoon :D

Agree The Matrix was a breath of fresh air at the time and sold shed loads of home cinema systems. It very quickly became old in the sequels and the butt of many jokes and as Lucasisking alluded to the Matrix ended up its own arse. There is still room for that slow mo nonsense though as Dredd proved but always better when gunplay is involved. I can't say I'm not interested in what the brothers come up with though. Even after the poorly received prequels to Star Wars most on here are looking forward to the new trilogy of films , so I can give this a chance.

Last edited:
The Bourne movies were like The Matrix in one way...they get worse as they go along. The 3rd Bourne film was such a letdown...like the 3rd Matrix film.

Ah here, the third Bourne is the best. The fourth however...

Awesome

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom