Official LG OLED 2018 pricing announced

May be the latter but I still doubt Korea or any company therein which has a sister is held to such standards.
Take a look at the Korea Fair Trade Commission Abuse of dominance - Fair Trade Commission
and the working of its Monopoly Regulation and Fair Trade Act (MRFTA)
Practical Law UK Signon

A penalty surcharge not exceeding 3% of sales may be imposed, but a penalty surcharge not exceeding one billion KRW may be imposed if no relevant sales have been made or it is impracticable to compute sales.
Admittedly the high sounding 1 billion KRW sanction is only around £660K but 3% of sales would be much larger for LG Display...;)

KTFC recently fined Qualcom over $850 million dollars for abusing its dominant market position (although Qualcom is a US company).
Why South Korea Just Hit Qualcomm with a Record $854 Million Fine

Last edited:
We should start a pool on how much they will be by Black Friday. :)

I'm going for £1199 for B8 and £1399 for C8 55".

Just debating with myself what my buy price is... maybe £1800!

Gotta love rip off Britain, just change the $ for a £

I must say, the FALD 75-inch SK810 is a cracking price at £2,999! Okay, it has only the Alpha 7 processor, not the Alpha 9 that will be on most of the 2018 OLEDs, but that will be good enough for most people. I can't wait for a review of one of LG's Super UHD models.

That SK810 isn't FALD. It's edge lit.

Still some price for a 77" with Dolby Vision.

In post #12 I said:
I must say, the FALD 75-inch SK810 is a cracking price at £2,999! Okay, it has only the Alpha 7 processor, not the Alpha 9 that will be on most of the 2018 OLEDs, but that will be good enough for most people. I can't wait for a review of one of LG's Super UHD models.

then in post #37 Garioch said:
That SK810 isn't FALD. It's edge lit.

Still some price for a 77" with Dolby Vision.

@Garioch Well, I didn't make up my statement out of thin air! The article does say "LG’s 2018 AI-enabled SUPER UHD line-up is powered by LG's α (Alpha) 7, the same processor found in the B8 series OLED. These LED LCD TVs also boast Nano Cell and FALD backlighting and are AI-enabled."

@Mark Hodgkinson or @Phil Hinton Messrs Hodgkinson and / or Hinton, perhaps you could clarify? Is the 75-inch SK810 FALD or edge-lit?

Is "SUPER UHD" a marketing gimmick ??

Sort of. For a while Samsung were trying to promote the 'SUHD' term (they never clarified what the S stood for) to refer to a quantum-dot LCD screen, and trying to get other manufacturers to join them. The whole thing seemed to go away (Samsung currently use QLED for that technology), but yeah LG still call their quantum-dot TV's Super UHD...which I think 'officially' means 8k. These TV's are distinct to a standard UHD LCD screen though so they should have a different name.

Wow.... made my C7 I bought in Christmas sales for £1499 a real bargain :)

I can't imagine getting much better than what I'm already seeing with Netflix Dolby Vision streams on my C7. Certainly not another £1K better. I'm not finding the C7 slow in operation and have no interest in voice control. Can't say I have any banding issues with my C7 either.

Last edited:
Wow.... made my C7 I bought in Christmas sales for £1499 a real bargain :)

I can't imagine getting much better than what I'm already seeing with Netflix Dolby Vision streams on my C7. Certainly not another £1K better. I'm not finding the C7 slow in operation and have no interest in voice control. Can't say I have any banding issues with my C7 either.

C8 at Christmas this year will be the same price as what you paid, you can compare end of life prices with launch prices - the C7 was about the same cost at launch.

In post #12 I said:

then in post #37 Garioch said:

@Garioch Well, I didn't make up my statement out of thin air! The article does say "LG’s 2018 AI-enabled SUPER UHD line-up is powered by LG's α (Alpha) 7, the same processor found in the B8 series OLED. These LED LCD TVs also boast Nano Cell and FALD backlighting and are AI-enabled."

@Mark Hodgkinson or @Phil Hinton Messrs Hodgkinson and / or Hinton, perhaps you could clarify? Is the 75-inch SK810 FALD or edge-lit?

Not to worry, I think it was just missed from the original article. LG has confirmed that the SK810 is edge lit on their official website. Check out the specs for:

SK950 (FALD):
LG 55 LG SUPER UHD TV | LG UK

SK850 (FALD):

SK810 (edge lit):

Good spot on the 75" size though for that price. I completely overlooked that, as I was eyeing up the FALDs and OLEDs. I wouldn't be surprised if the 75" (and not 77" as per my original post) sold well.

Lg clearly are dominating the Oled Market at the moment so more or less are dictating prices, I remember LG being a cheaper alternative on various products with reasonable quality over price, then over the years being recognised as a more respectful brand if it was one manufacture who i would have thought would lower oled prices, but still i see 65 inch going for 6 grand. i know its difficult and costly to manufacture oleds. I want to get into the 4k scene but will not buy a led no offence to LED owners but i just don't get that ultimate film experience viewing on an LED.

I will not part with my beautiful Panasonic plasma for an 4k led

We need a manufacturer to mass produce oleds, to force some price reductions sharp comes to mind they manufactured some nice Elite tvs for the American market. Maybe Philips but i doubt they will. i really thought this was the year oleds where common enough to have reasonable priced sets.

We need a manufacturer to mass produce oleds, to force some price reductions sharp comes to mind they manufactured some nice Elite tvs for the American market. Maybe Philips but i doubt they will. i really thought this was the year oleds where common enough to have reasonable priced sets.

There is a manufacturer mass producing OLEDs - LG Displays, who sell them to LG, Sony, Philips, Panasonic and Lowe. Presumably the process to make them is difficult and/or costly, which is why they are all happy to buy panels from what is effectively a monopoly.

AFAIK LG Display solely holds/licenses the patent rights to W-Oled. And W-Oled is the only variation of Oled which currently can be made 'cheaply' enough for large TVs.

As noted by @fat jez we have a manufacturer who can mass produce Oleds, it's LG. Costs of production should drop when they move to ink jet printing the panels. A LG Chinese factory is expected to come onstream next year which will have lower production costs.
LG Display claims that the new facility will be capable of producing around 60,000 8.5-generation OLED panels a month. This would essentially instantly double the amount of OLED panels available to TV manufacturers each month, making it much easier to meet the surge in demand for OLED TVs many AV industry analysts are predicting over the next few years. The surge in production may also lead to a further reduction in OLED TV pricing
LG Turns To China To Secure OLED TV Future

Last edited:
Will L&G have a 75”+ FALD this year then?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom