Official LG OLED 2018 pricing announced

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
LG has officially rolled out its 2018 UK OLED TVs and attached pricing details, which will provide few surprises for seasoned watchers of the market.

Read the news story

W8 OLED 4K TV
77-inch and 65-inch
RRP: £14,999 (77-inch), £7,999 (65-inch)

G8 OLED 4K TV
65-inch
RRP: £5,999 (65-inch)

E8 OLED 4K TV
65-inch and 55-inch
RRP: £4,999 (65-inch), £3,499 (55-inch)

C8 OLED 4K TV
77-inch, 65-inch and 55-inch
RRP: £7,999 (77-inch), £4,499 (65-inch) £2,999 (55-inch)

B8 OLED 4K TV
65-inch and 55-inch
RRP: £3,999 (65-inch) £2,499 (55-inch)

Pretty much as expected for C8.

The B8 aint gonna sell at that price

As expected but unless they drop quickly then Sony are going to make in-roads into the LG dominated market (especially with those who don't mind or don't realise about DV-lite, underpowered chipset for Android OS, etc etc). Personally I'm waiting for the 77C8 to come down to something more reasonable, and there isn't really a comparable Sony anyway, as there isn't a 77 AF8, and the A1E is ridiculous money at £13K.

As expected but unless they drop quickly then Sony are going to make in-roads into the LG dominated market (especially with those who don't mind or don't realise about DV-lite, underpowered chipset for Android OS, etc etc).

I suspect people are more price-sensitive than feature-sensitive.

Grab a B7 while they are cheap?

Damn! Those prices seem steep, pulling the trigger on the 2017 65" B8 now looks like the right move.
Can't wait for an eyes on.

Don't mean much do they, you can already get the 65" C8 a grand cheaper. Lets see how quickly they react to the Sony pricing.

Last edited:
John Lewis already has the 65” E8 for £4k
Edit well yesterday it was now it’s £4.5k

Or just get an Apple TV to bypass the OS

I meant people are more likely to choose a Sony on price than they are an LG on features. I suspect most people go in looking for a 4K UHD set and see them all lined up in a row. Since the picture quality is all much of a muchness when running a demo in John Lewis or Currys, they pick the cheapest.

I must say, the FALD 75-inch SK810 is a cracking price at £2,999! Okay, it has only the Alpha 7 processor, not the Alpha 9 that will be on most of the 2018 OLEDs, but that will be good enough for most people. I can't wait for a review of one of LG's Super UHD models.

To be honest I'm very happy with my recently acquired c7. What' the point of all this image processing if you're going to switch it all off.

To think that just the other year everyone (industry or not) was saying how no other manufacturer could undercut LG as it was the supplier of panels for all.

To think that just the other year everyone (industry or not) was saying how no other manufacturer could undercut LG as it was the supplier of panels for all.

I think you need to separate LG Displays from LG. LG Displays supply LG, Sony, Philips, Panasonic and (I think) Lowe. So LG are just another customer, albeit one with the same parent company. It doesn't mean they get a better deal, as crazy as that sounds.

Where does the alpha 7 processor in the B8 sit in comparison with the outgoing B7 , C7, E7?

90% of us here will turn off the picture processing so if the B8 improves on banding and near black from the B7 then I don't see why it is such a bad option. The B7 was £2999 rrp last year so I hold out hope that the B8 could get very close to the £1k mark given you could pick up a 55 B7 for £1350 around black friday

Sony and Panasonic must be loving this news

not very competitive, prices are supposed to be coming down by now, then again brexit is probably taking its toll no too.

Cant see the B8 selling at that price its doesnt have the full fat processor doesnt it?, you'd have to be slightly mad not the pay the extra for the C8

I think you need to separate LG Displays from LG. LG Displays supply LG, Sony, Philips, Panasonic and (I think) Lowe. So LG are just another customer, albeit one with the same parent company. It doesn't mean they get a better deal, as crazy as that sounds.
I'm aware of the separate LG divisions but hardly believe they fail to give their sister company a better deal and have yet to read one article/post contracting this.

I'm aware of the separate LG divisions but hardly believe they fail to give their sister company a better deal and have yet to read one article/post contracting this.

You won't either. That sort of information is kept closely guarded. I would be surprised if LG don't get a good deal, but I would also not be surprised if somebody else got a better one if they promised to buy more panels.

Probably Korean equivalent of the Monopolies Commission involved. If LG Display give a better price to LG Electronics purely because they have the same parent group they are disadvantaging their competitors. And LG Display do have a monopoly on the supply of the panels at the moment.

By volume pricing is different: a 1 million panels order by LG Electronics should get a lower price per panel than one for 10K or 100K etc panels by Sony, Panasonic, Philips or Lowe.

Last edited:
Roughly the same.
I don't think that's true. In this interview from CES, the LG guy says that the Alpha 7 will still offer improvements over last year's processor, and should only be lacking some of the more esoteric features of the Alpha 9 (question starts at ~2:05).

Which makes sense, as even the B8 will have black frame insertion, which was completely lacking from the 2017 models.

Probably Korean equivalent of the Monopolies Commission involved. If LG Display give a better price to LG Electronics purely because they have the same parent group they are disadvantaging their competitors. And LG Display do have a monopoly on the supply of the panels at the moment.

By volume pricing is different: a 1 million panels order by LG Electronics should get a lower price per panel than one for 10K or 100K etc panels by Sony, Panasonic, Philips or Lowe.
May be the latter but I still doubt Korea or any company therein which has a sister is held to such standards.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom