Official LG Freeesat LF7700 Thread

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Member 300569, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Member 300569

Member 300569

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    We value feedback from our customers and your opinions will help us to improve our products and services to you.

If you own the LG LF7700 TV, please take our quick survey by clicking <a href="http://www.avforums.com/forums/survey.php?do=take&sid=32" target="_self">here</a>.

[survey=32]180[/survey]

As you may have heard, Freesat and LG have signed a partnership deal which will result in a range of LG TV's to be launched in the UK this year with Freesat HD built in. Similar to Freeview digital services, but broadcast via satellite, Freesat is a free service that normally requires a set-top box, prices of which start at £98, and offers a huge variety of viewing options enabling HD viewing on BBC and ITV in superb picture clarity without any subscription or contract.

The new 2009 LG LCD LF7700 series will be available in(LCD; 32&#8221;, 37&#8221;, 42&#8221; and , 47&#8221;) will provide inbuilt access to over 140 free TV, HDTV and radio channels.

[​IMG]
    [edit:]You can find photos of the LF7700 in our Flickr stream.

The Key specs for this model are:
    Full HD (1920 x 1080)
    100hz (50hz for 32&#8221; and 37&#8221;)
    Invisible speakers
    USB 2.0
    And of course, the built-in FreeSat tuner!

In conversation with ERTonline, Freesat managing director Emma Scott said: "We're extremely pleased to be working with LG as a manufacturing partner for Freesat in 2009.

"LG is world-renowned for its quality products and this partnership will give consumers even more ways to enjoy Freesat as we grow the service."

We'll be providing more information and photos of the LF7700 series, and all new LG FreeSat ranges, when we get them. If you have any questions, thoughts or feedback sharing them here would, as always, be much appreciated!

You can find the official press release for this story on the LG Blog.

Have a good day everyone!

Helen :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Retro Techno

Retro Techno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Looks identical to the LG7000. I wonder if it's the same panel.

3. Retro Techno

Retro Techno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Where did the picture go? Has the LF7700 been canned now, in light of recent circulations over the fate of the LG7000?

4. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    the pics still there!

5. Retro Techno

Retro Techno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Well, whadya know? It's back!
    All I got for a couple of days was a box with a red cross inside, using a couple of different browsers on my pc and the browser on my PS3. Even punching through to the LGBlog website and clicking on the picture there bought up that same broken image.
    Well, at least some fiascos are easily sorted, now back to Pixmania, firmware and ghosting!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  6. windymillar

windymillar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    42LF7700 looks less feature rich that 42LG7000 ( no expert mode - the 42LH7700 has this but disappointingly has the Scarlet style bezel ) and has Freesat but retains the same bezel as the 42LG7000 - which I think is better.

Trusted Reviews Review :- LG 42LF7700 42in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

Though I don't hold out much hope for the On Screen menu if you want it in a "Regional" language

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/lg-owners-forum/111760d1236207814-2009-lg-models-42lg7000-replacement-osd.jpg

Apologies if you have seen this before as I have consolidated a couple of my postings from another thread to bring it all here.

7. George Mead

George Mead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    What is the general opinion of integrating Freesat HD into the LF7700 series? Pana went first 6 months ago - am looking forward to the reaction of the LF7700 series.

I think for people currently watching freeview on a HD ready TV it provides a natural step-up with more channels and also services from the BBC and iTV in High Def.

What do people think?

LF7700 launches end of April, 42" and 47" are also 100Hz.

8. riddlesticks

riddlesticks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a 42" version of one of these TV's. It is to arrive on Thursday (can't wait!) but in the mean time, I was wondering, does anyone have optimum settings/ calibration for this television that I can put into use as soon as it arrives?
    It really would be a great help :) thanks

9. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    deffinitely the right way to go, a freesat tuner should be available in every new TV in my opinion, although it is a little dissapointing to see that the LF7700 isn't exactly the highest specced LG on the market at the moment, ie; no 100Hz etc...it seems like a downgraded version of the LH7000, which has impressed me so far

10. riddlesticks

riddlesticks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:lesson: err, the LF7700 does have 100Hz... It does have 100Hz right?

*edit - "42" and 47" are also 100Hz"

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  11. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    is it just the 32" which doesn't have 100Hz?

Anyway, the specs on the LG website look a bit bare and measley compared to the LH7000

12. JamesDavison

JamesDavison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What type of screen surface does this panel have? Is it gloss/semi gloss or matt?

Thanks! :)

13. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    it's defo not gloss, i'd say, matt.

14. JamesDavison

JamesDavison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ok... thanks

15. George Mead

George Mead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    42" and 47" LF7700 are both 100Hz and the 32/37 are 50Hz. All have built in freesat HD for watching BBC and ITV programmes in HD.

All have 3 x HDMI and USB port for jpg & mp3 playback.

Response has been very good so far!:thumbsup:

16. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I'm going to go and see one (in good conditions :rolleyes: :smashin:) this weekend (along with the PS8000 :cool:) so I'll let you know my thoughts, but I have high hopes, the other models have impressed me muchly! :D

Out of interest why is 100Hz removed from the 32" and 37" sets? :confused: The LG 100Hz trumotion is very effective in my experience, it would be something which could possibly sway me to another model, even if I missed out on freesat :(

Anyone think they can squeeze more smilies into one message? (appropriately) :eek: :D :rotfl: :cool: :devil: :suicide:

17. riddlesticks

riddlesticks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, what was your opinions of the set?

18. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    It was very good actually, I was a bit hung up on the 50PS8000 as that was very good, but the 42LF7700 that was there was very decent indeed. As you would expect there is better if you're willing to pay the extra but the LF7700 deffinitely poses a thread to those in a similar price bracket, and as it has freesat built in that's just one more reason to choose it.

Anyway, the motion was very smooth, as usual LGs 100Hz system works very well, smoothing out motion without too many artefacts, although I would still leave it off most of the time (as you should with all LCD 100Hz systems). The picture was very dynamic indeed, another plus point on many LGs which has continued, with settings fiddling it provided a relatively natural yet vibrant picture which worked well for me, there wasn't much picture noise either, which is a plus point, and SD images were very decent, although still suffering slightly from the LCD 'artificial' look when comparing to plasmas, however, still very sharp for SD sources. HD sources were also very sharp, keeping lots of detail and keeping the impressive thoughts going!

Black levels were also a lot better than last years models which fell in this area quite a bit, they weren't the best in the world and in dark scenes in movies the picture did look a bit washed out and the blacks seemed to have a slight mist over them. Again, this is an LCD trait which LG still haven't quite seemed to get rid of. Although the blacks weren't necessarily the best I can't say it was distracting in the slightest under normal viewing, the picture was so dynamic and the colours packed so much punch that it wasn't often apparent.

So, overall a very decent set indeed, colours were fully saturated (nothing worse than an under saturated picture) but not excessively so, so the cartoon look wasn't there! Motion was very good, 100Hz worked very well, blu-ray playback was also very smooth and both the SD and HD images were very impressive, not too soft like some of the LGs were last year. Feedback to LG would be to keep up what's already been done, black levels need improving a little further, but are significantly better than last years, maybe just try to make the picture that little bit more natural, sometimes it did look a bit processed, as LCDs sometimes do.

19. Member 300569

Member 300569

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    This TV has won praise: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-owners-forum/1002080-lg-wins-high-praise-what-tv.html

and we have a couple of videos about it you might find useful.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-owners-forum/986897-lg-gadget-show-lf7700-freesat.html

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ebjkMCUXoJQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ebjkMCUXoJQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcT37JrKkA0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcT37JrKkA0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

H :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  20. B_O_O_Y_A_R

B_O_O_Y_A_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I have just bought this TV and the LGBD370 blu ray player for £499 from John Lewis inc 5year warrenty.

Anyways-couple of Qs

1 Anyone have any advise on the optimal colour settings. Currently I'm running the sport set up but at 80% energy saving thinggy. At full whack the whites were hurting my eyes (from sky+ - particularly the menus).

2 whats the pcmci card slot for

3 Am I right in thinking I just plug in an external USB with all my pics on then keep this behind the TV = media centre? If so does anyone have any tips on one sort to buy to make this work well

21. Retro Techno

Retro Techno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151

Hi

1. There is no optimal as it varies from set to set, location to location. There are many factors that determine whether a picture is optimum or not.
    My advice would be to take it off of sport mode. In my opinion, it's best to leave the AV modes off altogether, unless you have the time and patience to tweak the different modes to your liking.
    In the off mode, use the Intelligent sensor for most normal viewing as this will adjust the picture according to viewing conditions. It does a pretty good job with colours and brightness levels and gives a perfectly acceptable picture most of the time. It will also keep that backlight under control so the whites won't burn the retinas out of your head.
    For film watching (DVD, Blu-ray) it might be best to use a calibration disc, available from most media retailers. A calibration disc will give you the tools to adjust everything about your TV - brightness, black levels, colour range, sharpness and everything else. Some of the new LG's come with this calibration program built in (Picture Wizard). If your set has this, use it. It's quite easy to use. Easier than the discs, at any rate. A well calibrated set will give you a better picture for watching films and give you a picture that is closer to industry standards, so films look more like how the directors intend them to look.

2. The pcmi slot is for Top Up TV cards. Top Up TV | Freeview + box, digital TV recorder plus digital TV on demand. These enable you to access certain channels that are otherwise not available on normal Freeview channels. All the info is on the site. I've never subscribed or used the service, myself.

3. The usb port is used for picture viewing, certain movie files, Divx, etc. It is also used for firmware upgrades that may be available from the LG website from time to time.
    I don't think you are supposed to leave the USB drive in all the time as the TV might automatically detect the drive and disable all other modes untill the drive is removed.

Hope any of this helps, or at least points you in the right direction.

Good luck.

22. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    unfortunately, this model only supports playback of JPEGS and MP3's so less of a media centre and more of a large photo frame!!? ;)

(you can leave the USB stick in and 're'-access it from the menu)

23. RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Just bought a 32LF7700, I'm really disappointed with the picture, the blacks arnt that good at all, there is awful buzzing from the backlight inverter, the viewing angle is poor, I cant move left to right at all without the screen going white/grey. Is there anyway of accessing the service menu to check what panel is installed?.

24. yokozuma

yokozuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Does anyone know how to get Audio Out from the LF7700?

I have the LG Home Cinema HT304SU system and I can only seem to get the TV through the 5.1 speakers via 3.5m headphone cable! :(

25. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Buzzing suggests a fault somewhere in the works so I'd suggest a replacement, as for the other things though it might be related but it might not, what TV are you used to? if you're coming from a CRT you might just be expecting it to be a lot better when it just wont be

26. Retro Techno

Retro Techno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    The TV has an optical output, but your sound system doesn't have the corresponding input, which is a shame. As you've noticed it has a stereo jack input which will allow you to attach anything with a corresponding output.
    The 304 might have some internal trickery to matrix the stereo signal into psuedo surround or all channel stereo, but that's the best it'll do with the signal.
    I'm sorry to say, but unless any DVD you watch has a 5.1 soundtrack, you will not get a true 5.1 sound from this unit.
    Even if the 304 did have an optical input, some TV's might not be able to pass all audio signals over the connection. However, the LF7700 is capable of recieving a HD signal from satelite and has internal Dolby Digital decoders This might then be passed on over optical to a suitable reciever/amp.

Should you decide to replace your sound system, make sure a new one has a variety of inputs, optical being one of them, and i would also suggest HDMI, along with a modest selection of basic anaologue connections, such as RCA stereo.
    They're the type of things that you won't miss... Until you need them!

27. Sencore

Sencore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, sorry if am posting in the wrong section but I' am new to this forum.

Does anyone know how to access the service menu on the Lg LF 7700?

Also is there any firmware upgrade to be able to play movies on the usb port?

I was reading in one of the answer in this thread saying, to stay away from the AV built-in controls, ie cinema and so forth, but there isn't a user specific control in the menu nor there is a picture wizard to calibrate the set.

Overall I feel disappointed with the speed of this TV even though is 100hz is slow and if I use trumotion for sport (sd-football) there are too many artifacts on the screen. One of the worst experience was to watch "Vantage Point", it was truly awful!!! I suppose many will disagree with me, but this is only my personal view.

Anyway, thank you for reading this post and for any forthcoming answers.

28. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    No movie playback and no hack to enable it. Sorry. :(

29. oymd

oymd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi
    Can the 47LF7700 be hacked with through the service menu to play DivX HD content just like the 47LH4000, which was explained here on the forums?

30. greenee

greenee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All
    I have just bought this as a replacement for a broken Tosh. I was led to believe that the satelite decoder could be tuned to any satelite signal I am feeding it and of course Freesat.

Having tried to tune it to ATL Bird (5 deg's West for French FTA) it doesn't seem to find any channels.
    I am trying to tune it on the NON FREESAT set up, that allows you to change the transponder etc. but it's not having any of it.

When it says, save the settings, I press OK, then it goes to the search page, I press search, I searches for about 5 seconds then goes back to the tuning menu with no channels found and the settings not saved.

Has anyone else had any experience of either this TV or another like it with a Freesat tuner ?

Many thanks for any help, before I go back to the retailer with the mis-informed card.

Regards
    Greenee

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009