OFFICIAL - GTA IV coming to PC on November 21st

So I got it working.

For those of you who don't know I currently run a tri-boot setup with Vista SP1, Vista SP2 beta and Windows Seven beta.

Vista SP1 is my main OS with all my programs and stuff on there. The other 2 are purely for beta testing purposes. So I installed GTAIV on Vista SP2 without any issue and everything works fine.

Just had a quick play, seems like a good game. But I've got a bad taste in my mouth after the experiences I've had trying to install it.

For £9.99 at Morrisons I couldn't resist any longer. As I feared, performance "out of the box" was very poor. Turning down the graphics settings helped somewhat, but things have improved significantly with the latest patch, and even with all graphics settings turned down it still looks better than San Andreas. I can't wait to be able to run it on a faster PC though, because it looks great on the higher settings.

One thing I've noticed is that performance at 1920x1200 doesn't appear any worse than lower resolutions such as 1440x900 (so I run at 1920x1200!). That leads me to believe that I'm CPU bound. I'm running a 2.8GHz Athlon X2, along with the GeForce 8800GT and 3GB RAM all on Vista 32-bit. I believe that a quad core CPU is essential for best performance in this game. Anyone tried it on an 8 core Apple Mac Pro? :D

The only thing puzzling me now is that I only get Stereo or Headphones offered as sound options, but my Creative X-Fi is set to Quadrophonic. Does GTA IV not support Quad speaker setups?

Setup was a bit long-winded, with an annoying un-prompted reboot in the middle, and the in-game update via Games Live didn't work, so I downloaded the patch manually from Rockstar and from there it went smoothly. It doesn't seem particularly keen on telling you what's going on either. My installation had completed with absolutely no visual cues at all, and at first I thought the installer had crashed out (I left it to install whilst I had my dinner).

Last edited:
Jesus christ, this game is seriously testing my patience now. Can't log into the Rockstar Social Club today. First of all it states incorrect username or password, then if I retry it fails to make a connection. Are they intentionally TRYING to **** off gamers with this game?

Jesus christ, this game is seriously testing my patience now. Can't log into the Rockstar Social Club today. First of all it states incorrect username or password, then if I retry it fails to make a connection. Are they intentionally TRYING to **** off gamers with this game?
get a console to play it. even at £10 for gta4 pc, it is still not worth the hassle

It appears that it doesn't like OpenDNS. After I switched back to my ISPs slow DNS servers, it logs in fine.

Still not impressed with the number of hoops you have to jump through to get the game running. I was waiting at least two hours before I could play. Maybe it's better on a faster internet connection, but on a 512k line it took a while to download all the updates (which the game REQUIRES you to install before it will connect online).

Are game companies ever going to realise that this kind of thing encourages piracy. Why would I want to mess around for hours trying to get the game running when I could just download it for free and play right away. Copy protection never works because the pirates always find a way around it. So many "uncrackable" games are cracked within weeks or even days. They'll keep doing it though, because for as many users who are annoyed by copy protection issues, there are just as many know-it-all fan-boy types who'll defend Rockstar no matter what.

How the hell does all this nonsense actually work better than a simple CD key?

Trouble is if you do your homework that still doesnt mean it will work on your system. It runs fine on mine and I have been happy with it.

Mod edit - Please don't recommend illegal activities

Sorry Chaosx, didn't me to be naughty. Of course, I do not recommend illegal activities but I can understand peoples frustrations :smashin:

I got this game from Morrissons for £9.99, managed to install it along with the latest patch but it's extremely laggy. Any way I can sort this out? :(
Pretty sure I can run it with my PC:

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model System Product Name
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 930 GB
Disk partition (C: ) 6 GB Free (49 GB Total)
Disk partition (D: ) 370 GB Free (416 GB Total)
Media drive (E: ) CD/DVD
Disk partition (F: ) 194 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Media drive (K: ) CD/DVDCD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Total available graphics memory 2431 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1407 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.8122
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

I got this game from Morrissons for £9.99, managed to install it along with the latest patch but it's extremely laggy. Any way I can sort this out? :(
Pretty sure I can run it with my PC:

System

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model System Product Name
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 930 GB
Disk partition (C: ) 6 GB Free (49 GB Total)
Disk partition (D: ) 370 GB Free (416 GB Total)
Media drive (E: ) CD/DVD
Disk partition (F: ) 194 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Media drive (K: ) CD/DVDCD/DVD

Graphics

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

gta4 is a very bad port and anything less then a 9800/ 260gtx card and you might as well not bother and just buy a cheap 360 with gta4

gta4 is a very bad port and anything less then a 9800/ 260gtx card and you might as well not bother and just buy a cheap 360 with gta4

That's not quite true. It performs much better on 64 bit with a quad core CPU and 4GB ram. It plays perfectly on my 8800gts graphics card.

That's not quite true. It performs much better on 64 bit with a quad core CPU and 4GB ram. It plays perfectly on my 8800gts graphics card.
your 8800gts is alot better then a 8600gts

Same here on an 8800GTX. Runs decent - nothing amazing but decent.

That would explain it. 1920x1080 with a 8600GT probably on high settings.:devil:

Off course you are not going to run that smoothly.

My 4870 has problems at 1920x1080 on most games with high settings.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom