official gingerbread on galaxy s ?

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the official gingerbread update is gonna hit Kies for the galaxy S apparently it was there a week ago but it is no longer.

I'm afraid every date that gets floated round by the method of "my mate said" has come and gone.

The Facebook page always throws dates out which started by end of march, mid-april and now nothing has been mentioned in weeks. I suspect with no notice it will just appear so just keep trying Kies.

XDA has plenty yof unofficial Gingerbread releases if your feeling brave.

According to various threads on XDA, Gingerbread has been available through Kies in Scandinavia for a couple of days now. Hopefully that means that a UK version will be along soon. If you can't wait, visit the XDA forums for various ways of getting it now (hacking Kies, spoofing the country code of your phone, installing it via Odin).

gingerbread has already been released in the uk, for all of about 2 hours and then Samsung pulled it no reasons given, just gone. :confused:.

They promise it will be released but Samsungs "customer service" on updates just plain sucks :thumbsdow

The Scandinavian version I mentioned above is a newer version and (theoretically) with the bugs fixed.

The Galaxy S is by far the best phone I've ever owned, but Kies is utter pap, and Samsung are sooo slow to release updates. :thumbsdow

Was going to get a Galaxy S 2, but I dread trying to get updates on it :(

The Galaxy S is by far the best phone I've ever owned, but Kies is utter pap, and Samsung are sooo slow to release updates. :thumbsdow

Was going to get a Galaxy S 2, but I dread trying to get updates on it :(

too true , the one thing I have come to believe firmly, is that get a phone which works out of the box, don't rely on promises and rumours on any form of update from Samsung. My wifes Gal Apollo lies abandoned by her due to Samsungs failure to bring out the promised updates. Ask any early adopter for the gal S the pain in getting updates off samsung, and that was their flagship model :thumbsdow

Yup updated, rooted and running the crt off animation from the nexus S :D

Did it update via Kies?

Mine still says can not be updated and its an unbranded phone.

So is this supposed to be for the Tab as well, cos I checked this morning through Kies and it said I had the current firmware.

what real benefits are people finding on upgrading. I'm on 2.2.1 and find it stable and fast.

Has anybody who’s upgraded to the official 2.3.3 UK firmware (I believe it’s XXJVO) been able to successfully root their Galaxy S? I tried flashing it with Odin but it went into a reboot cycle :confused:

Has anybody who’s upgraded to the official 2.3.3 UK firmware (I believe it’s XXJVO) been able to successfully root their Galaxy S? I tried flashing it with Odin but it went into a reboot cycle :confused:

I rooted mine today using CF-ROOT from XDA. This uses Odin to flash a rooted JVO kernel. Is this the method you used?

However, there is a reported bug with this. If you power up the phone with wifi enabled it stops bluetooth working. Powering up without wifi everything is OK.

limegreenzx said:
I rooted mine today using CF-ROOT from XDA. This uses Odin to flash a rooted JVO kernel. Is this the method you used?

However, there is a reported bug with this. If you power up the phone with wifi enabled it stops bluetooth working. Powering up without wifi everything is OK.

Ah I think I was trying to flash with a JVK kernel. Need to update my files :)

I thought it'd be possible but kept on getting stuck in a reboot cycle - was just to tired last night and too busy today to fully investigate the issue. Thanks for your help, will report back once I've had a go
:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom