Official Gardening Thread

These are my tomatoes, about 3" tall. Anyone else think they won't be ready this year? :(
1593454270769.png

These are my tomatoes, about 3" tall. Anyone else think they won't be ready this year? :(
View attachment 1326235

Don't grow any veg or fruit, except for our stella cherries and I'm having to fight the birds off for those. But forty years ago when was working "and had more time" we had a decent sized cedar greenhouse and I grew peppers, cucumbers and a lot of tomatoes. I can remember still picking a few tomatoes at Christmas time, so I think you'll be OK.

You never know. If we get a fair bit of warm weather they may develop. Mine have grown fairly quickly.

B482FE89-8798-40DA-A64C-A69CC76AA20B.jpeg
395C59BD-711E-41D4-8827-F997DFC139B0.jpeg
E5DCA29A-6571-4054-A68F-15BBC4FB9D14.jpeg

Thanks both. I'm a bit peed off because I ordered them as super plugs in January thinking they'd come in March or April and they turned up a couple of days ago.

I bought mine in a local fruit and veg shop. For some reason there seemed to be a shortage of cherry tomatoes. Eventually managed to get a couple of plants which have really started to move in the recent good weather. :)

Slowly adding the plants, which will be an area for herbs, chilli, grape, berry and the latest addition of a fig tree.

20200627_160951 - Copy.jpg

Rosemary
20200627_161002 - Copy.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
20200627_160941 - Copy.jpg

White Passiflora Constance Elliot
20200627_161017 - Copy.jpg

Lavender Hidcote, Lobelia Queen Victoria, Passiflora Caerulea and Carex Bronze Form
20200628_070645 - Copy.jpg

Heuchera Marmalade
20200628_070702 - Copy.jpg

Heuchera Binoche
20200628_070653 - Copy.jpg

Moroccan Mint is enjoying life below the bay

20200628_070629 - Copy.jpg

Once we've planted it out fully it is going to be covered in slate, which will go into the water feature as well and should create a nice flowing line.

Got a local source for sea dredged timber that will be used in the garden to create the effect we are after. One piece is dated around 1838.

The rope was an added bonus, with plenty more if I want it.

20200630_130113 - Copy.jpg

Could have had a 3.5m x 40cm x 40cm Green Oak that was from a working boat built before 1838 but would require a small lift and 10 people to carry it into the garden.
Will be thinking on this as it is such a lovely piece.

We have Arundo Donax going behind the rope which will create the river bank effect, with the two grasses to the right expected to overflow the area they are planted in.
The 1m high wall to the left of this photo will have 3 pier heads and pallet decking between to create the effect of a harbour, which I hope to secure a couple of lengths of chain to sit along the wall with willowy grasses growing at the ground level front, which will flow in the wind.

20200630_142330 - Copy.jpg

We have Arundo Donax going behind the rope which will create the river bank effect, with the two grasses to the right expected to overflow the area they are planted in.
The 1m high wall to the left of this photo will have 3 pier heads and pallet decking between to create the effect of a harbour, which I hope to secure a couple of lengths of chain to sit along the wall with willowy grasses growing at the ground level front, which will flow in the wind.

View attachment 1326716

If you want some more wood like that, I know where there's some.

80048.JPG

View attachment 1326948

The wife's indoor plants are coming along nicely now she has some she doesn't need to water and look after

Yes, they're the sort to have. Though we've both artificial and real.

These are real

P1020159.JPG

As are these in ceramic pots suspended on chains from the first floor ceiling

P1030228.JPG

As is this in the hall.

P1020161.JPG

We have these, "permanantly in flower."

On the hall landing

P1040106.JPG

and these in the lounge.

We had that gas fire installed (at my wife's insistance), in a new art deco fireplace of her design in 2002, when we had a new combi boiler, " in case the central heating ever went off."

That boiler was replaced by a new combi in 2017. The fire gets checked whenever we have the boiler serviced. But apart from that it's never been turned on. "But we're ready for any emergency."

P1000972.JPG

Another 1 tonne of 40mm shingle ordered for Saturday morning, so that will guarantee the sun will come out and will be 40 in the shade :D:D

Luckily I'm only ordering another 1 tonne bag, after guessing that 5 tonnes was required and that should finish the effect we are after and will be after 1 tonne of topsoil and 3 tonnes of 40mm shingle have been put down.

Another 1 tonne of 40mm shingle ordered for Saturday morning, so that will guarantee the sun will come out and will be 40 in the shade :D:D

Luckily I'm only ordering another 1 tonne bag, after guessing that 5 tonnes was required and that should finish the effect we are after and will be after 1 tonne of topsoil and 3 tonnes of 40mm shingle have been put down.

Sounds like hard work.

Fortunately I've no plans for anything major that requires a lot of lifting.

This was over thirty years ago.

This lot was dumped on the road outside our house when I was building a rockery to the side of our pool. I had to barrow it all round to here on the patio at the back of the house.

IMG_20200701_0001.jpg

Then for the rocks around the perimeter of the pool I had to do the same with this lot.

IMG_20200701_0002.jpg

But this was after I'd dug this lot out to nearly six feet..

05176.jpg

They look impressive!

Must make the job a lot easier, no chance of cutting a cable, "been there done that" (once!)

I'm still using a mains Flymo Ultraglide, I've had it five years, it has a fan as big as the blade at the back so the grass collection is very good. It's excellent for a small gardens. I take the blade off and sharpen it with a file, every Spring.

P1040335.JPG

I've eliminated "edging" along the border on the left hand side and around the three features, with lines of blockpaving bricks set in concrete. I just run the mower over them. I use an ancient Flymo strimmer to get a line between the lawn and the path on the right.

P1040336.JPG

It is very nice not having a cable. I’ve only used the Ryobi a couple of times but it does the job well. It has enough power but not as much as the corded Flymo. I sharpen my blades lightly every few cuts which takes the strain off the mower - haven’t done the Ryobi yet. The cordless strimmer is great too. I don’t think I could go back to corded.

It is very nice not having a cable. I’ve only used the Ryobi a couple of times but it does the job well. It has enough power but not as much as the corded Flymo. I sharpen my blades lightly every few cuts which takes the strain off the mower - haven’t done the Ryobi yet. The cordless strimmer is great too. I don’t think I could go back to corded.
What battery system are you using? I've found my 36v mower is easily as powerful as my petrol mower was.

18v 5.0ah. I think it seems less powerful because it’s so much quieter.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom