Official Gardening Thread

Been gradually tidying mine up this week

A070E75E-6A32-43EF-B3E8-7C9FFDF6DB93.jpeg

D819CD15-6ED4-4E5C-9E68-9D76FE61319D.jpeg

Pond full of frog spawn

6D60F824-823B-4017-B44D-FA67C003D9FB.jpeg

Potatoes and broadbeans in, ground prepped for runner beans.

E1BB070F-92E5-477A-81AA-396965D6FC48.jpeg

Plum and pear trees in full blossom

EBEC1074-2457-42C2-B8A4-062DDA160A60.jpeg

Rhubarb coming on nicely

59CF4292-2239-45B8-BDEE-47C438B33E04.jpeg

Due to circumstances don‘t think we will have such a good show of flowers this year.

A bit early but I started planting seeds this morning. Beans, carrots, peas, lettuce and radish.

I just need to find something else to do for the next 11 hours.

A1238594-DA76-4FE2-8971-E58E9DA46766.jpeg

Treated the lawn yesterday evening to try to get rid of the moss.

I used iron sulphate which is dissolved into water and watered on the lawn. I might’ve been quite generous with the dose as I didn’t measure it.

some darker parts of the lawn already, where the moss is. Hopefully I’ve not killed the grass.

657F826F-6312-4353-A23E-F4576B776D36.jpeg

296CF7B9-02D5-4A49-8A92-C6918E2ABC6A.jpeg

If moss was fashionable my lawn would be famous.

I’m waiting for a good week to let the chemical do its job and then hopefully the moss will just come away very easily as it seems to be dying.

Talking of which, I need to put in some sand to help with drainage.

I wanted to add a path around the garden and some structure to my lawn area via a circular path / crop circle pattern. I thought I had everything in hand, but got caught out by the speed of the current lockdown, such that the bricks that I had ordered to use as pavers cannot be delivered for a month or so until the lockdown is over.

Anyway lots of time available now for weeding.

1-Driveway during and after.jpg

I wanted to add a path around the garden and some structure to my lawn area via a circular path / crop circle pattern. I thought I had everything in hand, but got caught out by the speed of the current lockdown, such that the bricks that I had ordered to use as pavers cannot be delivered for a month or so until the lockdown is over.

Anyway lots of time available now for weeding.

View attachment 1273986

1585309082218.png

Errrr what are you guys doing about your garden waste?
I filled up the garden waste bin, left it out the front to be emptied today but it didn't get emptied. Mentioned it to Doris and she told me didn't renew it this year...

Don't know what to do with this massive bin full of garden waste or the fact that I now can't trim the hedges because I can't dispose off the waste....

I filled up the garden waste bin, left it out the front to be emptied today but it didn't get emptied. Mentioned it to Doris and she told me didn't renew it this year...

Don't know what to do with this massive bin full of garden waste or the fact that I now can't trim the hedges because I can't dispose off the waste....

Can you burn when dry and compost the rest?

Looking for some ideas here. We've got a wall to the patio, and I'm going to dig out the lawn where I've drawn the line. Looking for various shrubs to go in there that'll grow to around 5-6ft tall. The height to the top of the planters is 4ft, and want them to create a small screen.

IMG_20200325_105653.jpg

The area is almost completely in shade behind the wall and during the winter, but from Feb - November they will get lots of sun at the top.

Any thoughts on good shrubs to go in?

Lavender could grow to that height. I use it as a low hedge on my front garden.

Looking for some ideas here. We've got a wall to the patio, and I'm going to dig out the lawn where I've drawn the line. Looking for various shrubs to go in there that'll grow to around 5-6ft tall. The height to the top of the planters is 4ft, and want them to create a small screen.

View attachment 1274079

The area is almost completely in shade behind the wall and during the winter, but from Feb - November they will get lots of sun at the top.

Hebe are a good idea with many that flower at different times of the year and evergreens as well.

I have space at the bottom of my garden to compost, and to let stuff dry ready for a bonfire :)

I’d think about planting Red Robin as a hedge. Looks beautiful and will grow well.

Thanks all, I'll likely be going for a mix of everything!

Keep in mind the amount of bees you get with lavender. I’m not sure if this is always the case but I get a phenomenal amount with my lavender plants in my front garden. No problems for me but might be an issue if you have young children and a nearby seating area.

the smell is wonderful though

Ye we've already got a giant lavender plant next to the veg patch. Gets covered in bees which is great, and far enough away from seating. Useful for teaching the kids that bees = good, wasps = devils reincarnated

View attachment 1274079

How about bamboo? I think there are some species that don't spread, and you could always sink some paving slabs in vertically to retain them.

That black bamboo looks awesome.

I keep meaning to get some. Makes a lovely sound in the wind too. If you’re worried about it spreading then you can always plant in a planter.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom