Official Gardening Thread

I need money to do stuff so that’s not happening plus I don’t want to leave the house to buy stuff. I’m taking the self isolating seriously.

I need money to do stuff so that’s not happening plus I don’t want to leave the house to buy stuff. I’m taking the self isolating seriously.
Mostly same here too. The majority I have to do in the garden costs money, the cheaper stuff involves me going to a shop. I wish they’d posted a memo 3 months earlier than coronavirus was active as I’d have bought the stuff already. :)

For once I was organised going into this year having bought some gardening tools, a litre of Gallup and a litre of Weedol last autumn. I've also some fertilizer and grass seed left over from last years work that I can put to use.

My big issue is that I'd saved a fair chunk of money for the hardscaping and automower and it's sitting ready to go. With tonight's news I doubt my kerbing will get done, and if that doesn't happen there's no point buying the automower.
If there was an end in sight, I'd go with my original plans, but my head is starting to rule my heart. :(

Another beautiful day in the garden. Been out since sunrise. It was weird, couldn’t hear a single bird so I told Mrs Wahreo that’s what happens just before apocalypse- the birds know before we do :D

anyway, pics of painted trellis, the finished fence, the painted planter that I made from old pallets and my new friend on my shed. All the best everyone.

View attachment 1272423

View attachment 1272424

View attachment 1272425

View attachment 1272426

Looks like someone screwed your new friends feet to the shed! :D

While I'm still working as normal from home so not affected financially, I do require plants, compost and a few other bits to be able to do anything in the garden. The rest just really takes care of itself until all the weeds start coming. So I'm also stuck for something to do in the garden.

Our brown bins are no longer being collected, our local refuse sites are now closed, so it’s difficult to even do any maintenance let alone significant work in the garden.

Our brown bins are no longer being collected, our local refuse sites are now closed, so it’s difficult to even do any maintenance let alone significant work in the garden.
Compost pile?

Compost pile?

With the temps being so up and down recently it is taking what seems an age for all the bugs in ours to finally wake up and get munching.
Strange when we've got strawberries in fence mounted trays alongside the bin that have not lost their leafs over the winter and have shown signs of growth????

With the temps being so up and down recently it is taking what seems an age for all the bugs in ours to finally wake up and get munching.
Strange when we've got strawberries in fence mounted trays alongside the bin that have not lost their leafs over the winter and have shown signs of growth????
I've got a strawberry plant in a hanging basket. It died off in the autumn but has started growing again too. Guess it's because we had quite a mild winter!

I've got a strawberry plant in a hanging basket. It died off in the autumn but has started growing again too. Guess it's because we had quite a mild winter!

Ours did die a bit and then over the past few months have sprouted leafs and a couple threw out a runner each.

Gave the garden it's first haircut of 2020!

Been doing some jobs around the garden..
No weeds left in the flowers beds, only grass.
No grass left on the lawn, only weeds...
Then got the mini flame thrower out.. kill it with fire! 😁

Mowed the lawn, it looked awful. Turned the mower over and saw the blade was blunt and bent out of shape so I did an emergency op..
She survived and so got a better cut on the lawn after.
Strimmed the edges, raked it all up in to the garden waste bin..

Now sitting out here with a coffee thinking that I need to attack that ivy next but I've no where to dispose of it yet...

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_102716.jpg
    IMG_20200324_102716.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200324_114328.jpg
    IMG_20200324_114328.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200324_114533.jpg
    IMG_20200324_114533.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200324_124411.jpg
    IMG_20200324_124411.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 59
Gave the garden it's first haircut of 2020!

Been doing some jobs around the garden..
No weeds left in the flowers beds, only grass.
No grass left on the lawn, only weeds...
Then got the mini flame thrower out.. kill it with fire! 😁

Mowed the lawn, it looked awful. Turned the mower over and saw the blade was blunt and bent out of shape so I did an emergency op..
She survived and so got a better cut on the lawn after.
Strimmed the edges, raked it all up in to the garden waste bin..

Now sitting out here with a coffee thinking that I need to attack that ivy next but I've no where to dispose of it yet...

Is your garden/house sheltered from North winds. Just asking because them Yucca plants are the size of those I see regularly in sheltered area's of Folkestone in Kent and they have good protection from Northerly winds.

very nice.

Is your garden/house sheltered from North winds. Just asking because them Yucca plants are the size of those I see regularly in sheltered area's of Folkestone in Kent and they have good protection from Northerly winds.

very nice.
Thanks mate, not in Kent though, in Essex.
So it's a North facing garden but I don't know what a yucca plant is? The Biggie (tree) on the right is a cordaline... That square one on the left is a shed....

Thanks mate, not in Kent though, in Essex.
So it's a North facing garden but I don't know what a yucca plant is? The Biggie (tree) on the right is a cordaline... That square one on the left is a shed....

My bad it is not a Yucca tree then and knew you was Essex, was just guessing you might have been sheltered from Northerly winds.
Some area's a visit almost have their own micro climate due to being sheltered from these winds.

How long did it take the shed to reach that height and do you prune it lol

My bad it is not a Yucca tree then and knew you was Essex, was just guessing you might have been sheltered from Northerly winds.
Some area's a visit almost have their own micro climate due to being sheltered from these winds.
Well it is quite well sheltered by trees and
high fence to the left. By that I mean I've sat out in the garden when it's been quite windy out but much less so in my garden..

Discovered a small area next to my garage yesterday which was covered up by a fence panel. Had about a foot of soil/roots etc on the ground which took about 15 rubble sacks to clear. Discovered there was a concrete base down. Popped a gate on there instead and I now have a small storage area.

Also cut a load of old roof tiles down and fixed them to the base of my shed to cover up the block work base. I was in the garden for a good 12 hours working.

oh yeah, I also fixed a piece of 4” x 2” to the underside of my shed overhang. Just to slide a bit of timber in to extend the roof. I plan to have a piece of timber all the way across, just when it rains, it’ll only slide in when I’m sat out there and need shelter. I’ll have a table and a couple of chairs under there.

images are all mixed up but you get the idea.

A493DF4E-11B8-4CAD-884C-8639364B790B.jpeg
80AEDEB3-5B0C-4340-83AB-DB2331EF9C87.jpeg
4208EF9C-4628-4BC7-89DC-F4AE2524E1EF.jpeg
AED81F86-E9F9-4D3F-AEA7-E40204309BAC.jpeg
A1B3CE37-0793-4784-91B8-9C4B6AE980B7.jpeg
92230A95-9D04-46AF-9389-AF3DF33028D3.jpeg

Not much on other's scales, new lawn mower arriving today.
Had some health problems last year, finally up to mowing the jungle.

Nice one:thumbsup:

mowing the lawn is one of those jobs that can make a massive difference to the way the garden looks. Also does you good getting out there doing stuff.

Discovered a small area next to my garage yesterday which was covered up by a fence panel. Had about a foot of soil/roots etc on the ground which took about 15 rubble sacks to clear. Discovered there was a concrete base down. Popped a gate on there instead and I now have a small storage area.

Also cut a load of old roof tiles down and fixed them to the base of my shed to cover up the block work base. I was in the garden for a good 12 hours working.

oh yeah, I also fixed a piece of 4” x 2” to the underside of my shed overhang. Just to slide a bit of timber in to extend the roof. I plan to have a piece of timber all the way across, just when it rains, it’ll only slide in when I’m sat out there and need shelter. I’ll have a table and a couple of chairs under there.

images are all mixed up but you get the idea.

View attachment 1273281View attachment 1273282View attachment 1273283View attachment 1273284View attachment 1273285View attachment 1273286
The tiles look great. I've got stacks of tiles in one of my sheds. Just need to fins a use for them.

Pretty heavy duty construction going on there with the wire boulder holders. Will you be moving earth that side eventually to level the garden?
To be honest it’s mainly a case of neatening up the area it’s full of small stones that keep falling in to the garden so I bought the gabion baskets ages ago to just put all the stone I find in to stop them messing the place up! Hopefully will just give a neater edge to the place and stop the dog dragging the stones in!
ill move some of the earth on the lower terrace to give better access it’s great having the time to do cheap jobs!

To be honest it’s mainly a case of neatening up the area it’s full of small stones that keep falling in to the garden so I bought the gabion baskets ages ago to just put all the stone I find in to stop them messing the place up! Hopefully will just give a neater edge to the place and stop the dog dragging the stones in!
ill move some of the earth on the lower terrace to give better access it’s great having the time to do cheap jobs!

Look pretty nice with pockets of earth and grasses and the like put in them :)

Just checked the giant fern. This is my first spring with it so each day I’ve been removing the frost protection from the top and letting the sunlight get into the crown. Looks like there’s a bit of green slowly trying to emerge. Cool.

the old ‘leaves’ are still green. I’m assuming they will need cutting soon as the new growth emerges which will help to form the trunk an all it to grow upwards!

678DC79F-C09F-49DC-B268-7F384EB0A9C0.jpeg

CF72FD4C-97E6-4BAF-B5DE-B63105EBD7D2.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom