Official Gardening Thread

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I didn't have a big problem but a 4 in 1 weed n feed did a great job on my lawn. Clover, moss and dandelion were banished with two applications in April and August. I'll do the same next year.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
If it helps ease the pain of your moss problems, I’ve got a bit growing on the side of my car.... I really must use it more :D

Edit - Actually just realised that it’s over a year since I last cleaned the car as well. Get it cleaned you lazy git!

Last edited:

Maxson

Moss is growing so fast in my garden at the moment. It's basically filling in an area that didn't regrow after scarifying and reseeding. Anything I use to discourage it from growing?
Not much sun and lots of rain will do that. Moss is growing everywhere in this country with the weather we've had. Try scarifying and seeding again in March or April. In the meantime moss is green and doesn't need mowing! If grass just wont grow there it might be too shady and you could consider growing some shade loving plants such as camellia there instead.

I didn't have a big problem but a 4 in 1 weed n feed did a great job on my lawn. Clover, moss and dandelion were banished with two applications in April and August. I'll do the same next year.
Weed n feed shouldn't be used where you are using grass seed as it will suppress the grass seedlings. If you read the pack it will say not to use it on a new lawn. You could check the ph of the soil and try to adjust it to suit the grass better but that can go very wrong if you don't know what you're doing.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Not much sun and lots of rain will do that. Moss is growing everywhere in this country with the weather we've had. Try scarifying and seeding again in March or April. In the meantime moss is green and doesn't need mowing! If grass just wont grow there it might be too shady and you could consider growing some shade loving plants such as camellia there instead.

Weed n feed shouldn't be used where you are using grass seed as it will suppress the grass seedlings. If you read the pack it will say not to use it on a new lawn. You could check the ph of the soil and try to adjust it to suit the grass better but that can go very wrong if you don't know what you're doing.
Agree. IIRC it states to wait 3 weeks before seeding on the box. My biggest issues were clover and dandelions. Both of which were reduced greatly but not totally eliminated.

Edit: 6 weeks before seeding.

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Yeah the issue is that it’s an area of the garden beside a massive shed, so doesn’t now get any sun. It’s annoying as I spent ages scarifying, applying compost and top soil with the seed, watering regularly but I think the trampoline which has been moved about also hasnt helped this area giving even more shade.
I can’t plant anything there as the kids climbing frame and trampoline are usually there. I really need to put something more appropriate for a play area down but it’s big cost and effort.
@Dony not used my automower at all this year. Pulled up the wire as I’ve been working on the garden, plus got a massive paddling pool too. The grass is certainly A LOT worse off since I packed it away. Need to get my arse in gear to get it all finished for spring next year so I can reinstall it.

lowmans100

perhaps put down some weed fabric and cover with soft bark if its in the kids play area and put some ferns and shade loving shrubs around the borders and against the shed.

if the grass doesn't want to grow there then why try to grow it there?

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Just to note:

I'm so fed up with weeds constantly covering all my bare ground.
Been out today with more weedkiller, which I don't like doing, but how else?

If anyone has about 50 tons of concrete to cover the whole lot with I'll be happy!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
perhaps put down some weed fabric and cover with soft bark if its in the kids play area and put some ferns and shade loving shrubs around the borders and against the shed.

if the grass doesn't want to grow there then why try to grow it there?
The grass does grow there just fine. It's just I reseeded late, so not all of it took in time, and now the bare patches are moss.
I do want to change the whole area for the kids, but bark puts me off for cat crap.

Maxson

Just to note:

I'm so fed up with weeds constantly covering all my bare ground.
Been out today with more weedkiller, which I don't like doing, but how else?

If anyone has about 50 tons of concrete to cover the whole lot with I'll be happy!
Why do you want a patch of bare soil? Grow grass and mow it otherwise. Or other plants. The cheapest and lowest maintenance is gravel but gravel also needs weeding sometimes.

Maxson

Gardening is good for the soul. You might learn to enjoy it if you do it a little at a time. Instead of doing it until your back kills do 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

When you done with the work, you could mix up some of these with gravel to give a cool look.
URL removed by Moderator because it is a sketch website with an owner in Panama and the poster was promoting the website
Those do look fun. That shop looks expensive though! A quick search found this: Glow in the Dark Gravel - Aqua 250g - Arts and Crafts - Glow Kids - Glow Kids or on Amazon/Ebay/Etsy of course.

Last edited:

diannebye

Banned
Spent a lot of time and patience digging out everything except one shrub...Blackberries Rasberries a few other plants Geraniums, Lambs Tongue and Granny's Bonnets, the rest was weeds some real wicked ones..it had become too much upkeep so now have sowed grass seed that was stored in a dry barn for about 1 + but not 2 years, so, now a month later and all that has happened is just very thin sprouts and lots of weeds still....any ideas?
It was not cold when I sowed it but the last 10 days sun, clouds and a chill in the air mostly,
.evenings cold...so maybe the weather is to blame or does it 'go off'...gravel type driveway here and the grass is still growing well there...
006.JPG

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Spent a lot of time and patience digging out everything except one shrub...Blackberries Rasberries a few other plants Geraniums, Lambs Tongue and Granny's Bonnets, the rest was weeds some real wicked ones..it had become too much upkeep so now have sowed grass seed that was stored in a dry barn for about 1 + but not 2 years, so, now a month later and all that has happened is just very thin sprouts and lots of weeds still....any ideas?
It was not cold when I sowed it but the last 10 days sun, clouds and a chill in the air mostly,
.evenings cold...so maybe the weather is to blame or does it 'go off'...gravel type driveway here and the grass is still growing well there...View attachment 1420132
My guess is the seed has possibly passed its best by date and is failing to germinate. May also be a bit late for sowing. There are quite a few grass experts on here that will be able to give you a better answer. :)

Maxson

.evenings cold...so maybe the weather is to blame or does it 'go off'...gravel type driveway here and the grass is still growing well there...
It's too cold for the seed to germinate. No point putting grass seed down until march. It needs to be over about 10 degrees during the day.

diannebye

Banned
It's too cold for the seed to germinate. No point putting grass seed down until march. It needs to be over about 10 degrees during the day.
Was much more than 10 degrees at the time of sowing so should have been fine, some has sprouted to 7/8 cms but not enough has taken......it certainly has been ok other times at 10 or above. Ok now its only 7/8 degrees so would not sow at that temp...go to the South of France and its normally warmer than here. Maybe it was the seed storing it too long.....

Maxson

Was much more than 10 degrees at the time of sowing so should have been fine, some has sprouted to 7/8 cms but not enough has taken......it certainly has been ok other times at 10 or above. Ok now its only 7/8 degrees so would not sow at that temp...go to the South of France and its normally warmer than here. Maybe it was the seed storing it too long.....
Try re-seeding in the spring anyway. :)

diannebye

Banned
looked like this earlier
018.jpg
...bad photo from phone this time... but been bucket down since then....defo a case of grass versus weeds. and the weeds win everytime...:facepalm:

Maxson

looked like this earlier...bad photo from phone this time... but been bucket down since then....defo a case of grass versus weeds. and the weeds win everytime...:facepalm:
Looks like the seed failed to germinate due to not being warm enough for long enough. What seed is there will mostly rot in the ground. On a dry spring day you need to rake it over again, raking off some weeds and stones, tread it to compact the soil, apply more seed and then rake in the seed. Then let the sun and rain do their job to activate the seed.

diannebye

Banned
Looks like the seed failed to germinate due to not being warm enough for long enough. What seed is there will mostly rot in the ground. On a dry spring day you need to rake it over again, raking off some weeds and stones, tread it to compact the soil, apply more seed and then rake in the seed. Then let the sun and rain do their job to activate the seed.
all makes good sense...there is grass growing but the photo was bad, I should have waited and used a better camera...the grass is thin but getting long....I shall by some fresh grass seed as well nearer the time...I have done quite a lot of grass sowing here and with this land being farmland in the past the young grass does struggle against the tough stuff which is by far the majority type here...We use a go tractor and keep it short or the weeds take over as every few weeks one type of weed seem to go so dies down only for a different one to appear and that goes on all through about 9 months of the year.... yellow or white mainly a few mauve that look good actually...I am working on a smallish area at the moment that has huge rocks that would be a devil to move so have added more small rocks and trying to dig out the demon weeds and tough grass then adding cuttings of rockery suitable plants to help keep back the demons. Good job we Love gardening here..defo good for the sole...

Maxson

I wasn't sure what I was looking at, I thought it was just weeds and roots of weeds. Could be couch grass roots which is at least a grass. It is difficult to get good photos in the winter light. OK so the grass did germinate but it will grow very slowly until spring. Nothing to worry about then. Just give it a mow when the grass or the weeds or both get taller.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett