Official Gardening Thread

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I didn't have a big problem but a 4 in 1 weed n feed did a great job on my lawn. Clover, moss and dandelion were banished with two applications in April and August. I'll do the same next year.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
If it helps ease the pain of your moss problems, I’ve got a bit growing on the side of my car.... I really must use it more :D

Edit - Actually just realised that it’s over a year since I last cleaned the car as well. Get it cleaned you lazy git!

Last edited:

Maxson

Moss is growing so fast in my garden at the moment. It's basically filling in an area that didn't regrow after scarifying and reseeding. Anything I use to discourage it from growing?
Not much sun and lots of rain will do that. Moss is growing everywhere in this country with the weather we've had. Try scarifying and seeding again in March or April. In the meantime moss is green and doesn't need mowing! If grass just wont grow there it might be too shady and you could consider growing some shade loving plants such as camellia there instead.

I didn't have a big problem but a 4 in 1 weed n feed did a great job on my lawn. Clover, moss and dandelion were banished with two applications in April and August. I'll do the same next year.
Weed n feed shouldn't be used where you are using grass seed as it will suppress the grass seedlings. If you read the pack it will say not to use it on a new lawn. You could check the ph of the soil and try to adjust it to suit the grass better but that can go very wrong if you don't know what you're doing.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Not much sun and lots of rain will do that. Moss is growing everywhere in this country with the weather we've had. Try scarifying and seeding again in March or April. In the meantime moss is green and doesn't need mowing! If grass just wont grow there it might be too shady and you could consider growing some shade loving plants such as camellia there instead.

Weed n feed shouldn't be used where you are using grass seed as it will suppress the grass seedlings. If you read the pack it will say not to use it on a new lawn. You could check the ph of the soil and try to adjust it to suit the grass better but that can go very wrong if you don't know what you're doing.
Agree. IIRC it states to wait 3 weeks before seeding on the box. My biggest issues were clover and dandelions. Both of which were reduced greatly but not totally eliminated.

Edit: 6 weeks before seeding.

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Yeah the issue is that it’s an area of the garden beside a massive shed, so doesn’t now get any sun. It’s annoying as I spent ages scarifying, applying compost and top soil with the seed, watering regularly but I think the trampoline which has been moved about also hasnt helped this area giving even more shade.
I can’t plant anything there as the kids climbing frame and trampoline are usually there. I really need to put something more appropriate for a play area down but it’s big cost and effort.
@Dony not used my automower at all this year. Pulled up the wire as I’ve been working on the garden, plus got a massive paddling pool too. The grass is certainly A LOT worse off since I packed it away. Need to get my arse in gear to get it all finished for spring next year so I can reinstall it.

lowmans100

perhaps put down some weed fabric and cover with soft bark if its in the kids play area and put some ferns and shade loving shrubs around the borders and against the shed.

if the grass doesn't want to grow there then why try to grow it there?

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Just to note:

I'm so fed up with weeds constantly covering all my bare ground.
Been out today with more weedkiller, which I don't like doing, but how else?

If anyone has about 50 tons of concrete to cover the whole lot with I'll be happy!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
perhaps put down some weed fabric and cover with soft bark if its in the kids play area and put some ferns and shade loving shrubs around the borders and against the shed.

if the grass doesn't want to grow there then why try to grow it there?
The grass does grow there just fine. It's just I reseeded late, so not all of it took in time, and now the bare patches are moss.
I do want to change the whole area for the kids, but bark puts me off for cat crap.

Maxson

Just to note:

I'm so fed up with weeds constantly covering all my bare ground.
Been out today with more weedkiller, which I don't like doing, but how else?

If anyone has about 50 tons of concrete to cover the whole lot with I'll be happy!
Why do you want a patch of bare soil? Grow grass and mow it otherwise. Or other plants. The cheapest and lowest maintenance is gravel but gravel also needs weeding sometimes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom