• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Official Gardening Thread

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Indeed, it's been the best year I can remember for fruit and berries in my garden this year. I've got a dwarf pear tree as well and that gave me dozens of pears.
My pear tree died this year. It was never happy in my garden. It would produce blossom but it would never set and just withered.
My plum tree however produced 2 plums last year and was absolutely covered in them this year. No rhyme or reason to it. :)

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I wish I knew the reason why this year has been so good for me! It may be down to the hot spell in Spring which helped with the blossom and then rain to help with the fruit production. In previous years I’ve suffered with blossom sometimes blowing off the tree before it was pollinated

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
My pear tree died this year. It was never happy in my garden. It would produce blossom but it would never set and just withered.
My plum tree however produced 2 plums last year and was absolutely covered in them this year. No rhyme or reason to it. :)
Plum trees don't produce fruit every year. My FiL has one and seems to be every other year. He seemed to think it was normal and he's knows his stuff. So maybe it is fine for yours to be the same.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Got loads of plums from our neighbour this year :cool:. There was an old orchard near us that was full of greengages before it was developed. I miss those, never had one since :(

Brendas

Crabapple tree is really one of the best and keeps almost year long interest. I miss mine, we had to cut it as it was few feet away from fence. My daughter was extremely upset and crabapple is the first tree we replanted, this time in the right place. Hope it grows soon.

IMG_4443.JPG

diannebye

Banned
plum jam is pretty simple to do..small quantities in a large bowl covered can even be done in the microwave.......

HMHB

Distinguished Member
HMHB - Is yours the Evereste variety of crabapple, looks like that to me
Thanks for pointing that out, it never struck me to find out what variety it was until now :) Looking at that variety on the RHS site and others, I believe you are correct.

diannebye

Banned
Not a real stunner but a pleasant looking tree with a slow growing habit so no need to prune either, just wonder what it is?
thumbnail_PICT0007 (2).jpg

Last edited:

diannebye

Banned
Looks like a silver birch, we have lots around here.
If so the leaves will look like this:
Thanks that is the only one we wondered having a silver trunk..We lost a beautiful Olive Tree last Year and honestly did not realise what it was until it came down in a storm...as gardeners felt a tad stupid over that one...

Brendas

To be honest, I’ve no idea. It’s the tree I bought for 50 pence from Morrisons :)
You must have bought more than 10 years ago. I did my research before buying a new one. Evereste and John Downie were the ones i liked from the existing varieties. Went with Evereste as my old one was also the same from the look of it, it was there when i bought). The one i have planted now is 6-7 feet

Last edited:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Grass growth has slowed and the temp was 3C this morning, time to hibernate the mower. I'm leaving the base in place for the occasional opportune cut, but I'll stuff a bin liner filled with rags into the storage box to help protect it.

20201120_120704.jpg

Doesn't look too bad underneath, but I'll strip and clean once it's dried.

My Flymo is mostly all plastic, so the cold weather doesn't affect it. Our shed is raised six inches off the ground so stays dry.
Steel mowers get the worst of it. Many people can't believe what comes out of a cold damp shed after six months of no use.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
My Flymo is mostly all plastic, so the cold weather doesn't affect it. Our shed is raised six inches off the ground so stays dry.
Steel mowers get the worst of it. Many people can't believe what comes out of a cold damp shed after six months of no use.
The battery that needs protecting from low teperatures.

Dony

Distinguished Member
The battery that needs protecting from low teperatures.
I'll be taking mine in this weekend.
It's quite mild here today at 12C so it's working away at the moment. I've set up an IFTTT command that if the temperature drops below 6C it will either send the mower back to base, or not go out until the temperature rises.

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Bumble will be coming in at the weekend too - to rest up in the garage. He's earned it.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Moss is growing so fast in my garden at the moment. It's basically filling in an area that didn't regrow after scarifying and reseeding. Anything I use to discourage it from growing?

Dony

Distinguished Member
Moss is growing so fast in my garden at the moment. It's basically filling in an area that didn't regrow after scarifying and reseeding. Anything I use to discourage it from growing?
Are you still using your auto mower?

You should try forking over the area and maybe overseed. And/Or you could use a seaweed fertilizer to improve the soil and root structure in that area.

Other products I've used are Mo'bacter which is good if you don't want to have to rake out the dead moss. Or Sulphate of Iron if you want a more aggressive approach.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research launches Reference 80S power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett