• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Official Gardening Thread

IronGiant

Do you pack them* away in boxes of hay to hibernate over the winter like a tortoise? :cool:

*automowers

semi-serious question as I imagine Li-ion batteries don't freeze well.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Do you pack them* away in boxes of hay to hibernate over the winter like a tortoise? :cool:

*automowers semi serious as I imagine Li-ion batteries don't freeze well.
I'll put it in the garage and give it a quick brush underneath. No different to my petrol mower.
In Jan/Feb it'll go to the dealers for a 'service' which will be nothing more than a good clean and software update.

Service is about £70 but I'm getting this one for free.

Last edited:
With mowing, a lot depends on the size of your lawn. Mine only takes a few minutes. The brick border and features edging are at a height where my Flymo Ultraguide passes over them. There's some York stone stepping stones between the path and the little pagoda. Plus two round concrete circles for the two tree azaleas in their pots. I do have to move these pots, but the mower passes over everything.
I edge the join between the lawn and the path on the right-hand side with my strimmer takes a couple of minutes. I like tghis mowe as it has a fan at the back the same diameter as the blade which picks up all the cut grass.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I don't have that level of data but I've taken some power readings in the past month. 1 scheduled cutting day for my lawn (2.5 hrs actual cutting) needs 70Wh of charge.
What does that work out in cost per cut?

I never bother about what the electricity costs for stuff I use in the garden, whatever it is, even my garden blower/vac which is either three or three and a half thousand watts, as nothing is on for very long.
The 60w lamps I use as heaters in the base of my jukeboxes are on 24/7 from now until April will use a
a lot more.
In fact, I don't worry about electric or gas bills at all. I just swallow the near £170 a month direct debit I pay.
The cost of running our tumble dryer, drying two to three loads a day, (take something off and my wife has it in the washing machine), is probably our biggest electrical expense, as with her MS she can't hang stuff on a line and there's no way I'm doing it.
Although I do load and empty the washing machine, the tumble dryer and the dishwasher. They're "my jobs" in the circumstances.

Last edited:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Thought I'd better take another photo today as there are strong winds and rain forecast over the weekend. Definitely getting redder :)

MWTree Autumn2.jpg

IronGiant

Our acer's leaves are long gone, it's in stick in a pot mode now :)

RMP888

Beautiful day here in the Philippines, but I am out in the garden preparing for a typhoon that is expected to hit landfall tomorrow. The last typhoon a few days ago pushed over a few large saba banana trees which were about six meters tall and snapped off a Frangipani tree at the base.

1-20201030_121437.jpg

"The end is near"

Overnight there's been this much change.

P1040644.JPG

This big one is due some re-shaping once all the leaves have fallen to return it to its previous dome shape I fashioned over three decades.

I've already wired a couple of branches to bamboo canes to raise their position, they'll keep their new place once the growing season starts.

As every year, some branches will go white as they die off, which when pruned will fill a bucket. But they are always replaced by new growth from the top.

P1040645.JPG

It's looking very sorry for itself at the moment as the weight of the foliage helps keep its shape.
But I'll have it back to this shape as it was in May.

P1040108.JPG

diannebye

Banned
Cut it back over a month ago because it had died back to brown twigs....and it just took off again. Normally starts growing early spring and so an early variety normally...Clematis is not something I have great success with really...
Our climate is varied these days...today sunny and cloudy then some rain in the afternoon...mild outside a tad chilly inside so we light our log burner in our small living area each evening, so cosy.........

Just like the UK for the last 60 years ;)
Here in South Manchester, we can get that sort of weather change in ten minutes.

We're in a meteorological "Area 51."

There are never any weather icons over our area, at the bottom of the BBC's red button "North England" map, nor any at the top of the "Midlands" map.
No one at the BBC or the Met Office knows what goes on there.

It's government conspiracy.

Last edited:

diannebye

Banned
Starting digging at 9.00am ish France time...you would not believe the French attitude with mounds of soil bricks rocks as a garden feature left from jobs done and finished. The dump here takes everything and ok does charge for trademen that are obvious but incognito free for all! Its the last mound to go...
Few photos just taken of the section that was a messy flower/fruit bed out of control and takiong back to grass...seed now scattered.....phew
2nd Picture is a neglected corner with some 'rocks' that are too large to move some we put there a few years ago but the weeding there is a nightmare but I have made a start by planting some primroses and hardy geranium cuttings..few grasses...There is a Wisteria or similar plant we have grown from a pod scrounged from my daughter's holiday home garden, about an hour from here..
3rd picture is an Acanthus Spinosus that grows tall and slim kind of like a lupin shape...white and mauve bracts...grow so well here and self seeds..have at least 6 little plants on the go...
4 th...That small flower area has some hardy geraniums a new lavender and some seeds I have grown tall flowers called..California poppies (I think) Ha a lilac tree and ramble type rose in the centre and weeds of course
5th Begonias still floweing wellr and will self seed again in the spring... Hebe Shrub still flowering a little for the 2nd time maybe 3rd even.in the distance slighly is a Wilega Shrub....one of many here
6th Difficult to grow anything in this bed near our entrance but this plant does well..sedum maybe..the bare bush is a flowering quince has red berries and red flowers then quinces are yellow fruits...in bloom most of the year but not right now for a few weeks...

Attachments

HMHB

Distinguished Member
The crab apple tree is shedding leaves now and the little apples are going redder. It won't be long until it's in full Winter mode. I've already seen Blackbirds and Blue Tits on it so looking forward to other birds making use of it over the Winter :)

CrabApplesAutumn2.jpg

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Wow, that’s quite a lot of apples :)
Indeed, it's been the best year I can remember for fruit and berries in my garden this year. I've got a dwarf pear tree as well and that gave me dozens of pears.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research launches Reference 80S power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett