Official Gardening Thread

jassco

Anyone got bright ideas what to do with this space?

IMG_20200627_170132.jpg

It doesn't get any sun at all most of the year, but would get afternoon sun above the wall line. I'm thinking a few options:

1. Large plant pots, one on each step, with a mix of a climber and dwarf trees or shrubs (no idea what type)

2. Build my own, single planter that follows all the steps up. Filled with same as 1

3. Just build more log storage all the way up the steps

What do people think would be best here?

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
What about vertical planters with hanging plants similar to this

vertical-garden-wall-vertical-gardens.jpg

With the natural fall of the steps then maybe build a mini babbling brook water feature at the bottom?

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
There's loads of different vertical planters and styles from the likes of Amazon etc, you would need advice on the best low maintenance plants to plant in it though.

If there's an outside tap nearby you could install a drip watering system, keeping the maintenance even lower.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
It looks amazing but I'm nowhere near good enough to pull that off! I'm also looking for something quite low maintenance
Simplest and quick would be to paint it a brighter colour.

That wall would suit a pallet planter with a few ferns and other low maintenance plants.

IronGiant

As soon as I saw the photo I thought "bigger log store" so I was pleased to see it as option 3 :clap:

It's worth mentioning at this time of the year, that you have to be quite ruthless when pruning wisteria.
Some may be a bit concerned that it may be a bit drastic.

But you have to prune back to between two to four buds in January.

Like this.

P1040153.JPG

To get this.

P1050231.JPG

Concerned that there's little foliage?

No need to be, by June, you'll have all this, with a second flowering (if you don't prune them off as I do most years).

P1040330.JPG

P1040329.JPG

ruffage

Distinguished Member
The good thing about having an extension built is the amount of timber the builders leave behind. So I knocked up this potting table from off-cuts.

1C01ACC2-CDBE-405E-9132-3E904C319833.jpeg

Also made some support for the cucumbers. Corn’s coming on nicely too.

DC14D82E-A521-4262-AC07-B8F7A5E09857.jpeg

IronGiant

These are my tomatoes, about 3" tall. Anyone else think they won't be ready this year? :(
1593454270769.png

These are my tomatoes, about 3" tall. Anyone else think they won't be ready this year? :(
View attachment 1326235
Don't grow any veg or fruit, except for our stella cherries and I'm having to fight the birds off for those. But forty years ago when was working "and had more time" we had a decent sized cedar greenhouse and I grew peppers, cucumbers and a lot of tomatoes. I can remember still picking a few tomatoes at Christmas time, so I think you'll be OK.

IronGiant

Thanks both. I'm a bit peed off because I ordered them as super plugs in January thinking they'd come in March or April and they turned up a couple of days ago.

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
I bought mine in a local fruit and veg shop. For some reason there seemed to be a shortage of cherry tomatoes. Eventually managed to get a couple of plants which have really started to move in the recent good weather. :)

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Slowly adding the plants, which will be an area for herbs, chilli, grape, berry and the latest addition of a fig tree.

20200627_160951 - Copy.jpg

Rosemary
20200627_161002 - Copy.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
20200627_160941 - Copy.jpg

White Passiflora Constance Elliot
20200627_161017 - Copy.jpg

Lavender Hidcote, Lobelia Queen Victoria, Passiflora Caerulea and Carex Bronze Form
20200628_070645 - Copy.jpg

Heuchera Marmalade
20200628_070702 - Copy.jpg

Heuchera Binoche
20200628_070653 - Copy.jpg

Moroccan Mint is enjoying life below the bay

20200628_070629 - Copy.jpg

Once we've planted it out fully it is going to be covered in slate, which will go into the water feature as well and should create a nice flowing line.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Got a local source for sea dredged timber that will be used in the garden to create the effect we are after. One piece is dated around 1838.

The rope was an added bonus, with plenty more if I want it.

20200630_130113 - Copy.jpg

Could have had a 3.5m x 40cm x 40cm Green Oak that was from a working boat built before 1838 but would require a small lift and 10 people to carry it into the garden.
Will be thinking on this as it is such a lovely piece.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
We have Arundo Donax going behind the rope which will create the river bank effect, with the two grasses to the right expected to overflow the area they are planted in.
The 1m high wall to the left of this photo will have 3 pier heads and pallet decking between to create the effect of a harbour, which I hope to secure a couple of lengths of chain to sit along the wall with willowy grasses growing at the ground level front, which will flow in the wind.

20200630_142330 - Copy.jpg

We have Arundo Donax going behind the rope which will create the river bank effect, with the two grasses to the right expected to overflow the area they are planted in.
The 1m high wall to the left of this photo will have 3 pier heads and pallet decking between to create the effect of a harbour, which I hope to secure a couple of lengths of chain to sit along the wall with willowy grasses growing at the ground level front, which will flow in the wind.

View attachment 1326716

If you want some more wood like that, I know where there's some.

80048.JPG