Official Gardening Thread

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Strong winds today, a 2" thick branch broken.
Bit of mower maintenance. I'll soak the old blades to remove the heavy build up, then see if they can be resharpened at the bench grinder. If not they are only £9 for 30.

20200523_103442.jpg

20200523_103753.jpg

Edit: not as bad as they seemed once the gunk came off. Still quite sharp and no chips missing, so put them back on the mower.
20200523_125322.jpg

Last edited:

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Oh.... I've never seen blades like that on a mower.

Found this..........

I want!

Hmm...

As they say, "each to their own."

I'm a bit concerned that I didn't see them put any hardcore down first.

I don't think you can disguise the fact that it isn't real bricks, it's concrete.

I put these down about twelve years ago, in half a day. The traditional way, with hardcore, damp fine concrete mix and pointed them up the following day. It didn't cost a lot.

Three feature beds.

P1020448.JPG

P1020450.JPG

P1020451.JPG

And the long border.

P1020975.JPG

I did it to stop "border creep" when there was edging to be done. It meant I could just run over the bricks with my Flymo as the bricks finish flush with the lawn.

They've not been a problem, they are still intact and once they'd weathered in, they hardly noticed.
I could go over them with my jet-wash to clean them up, but I prefer the natural look.

P1010639.JPG

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Massive rain storm today that lasted 5 minutes, hail too. Just after I lit my chimnea to burn an old dead lavender bush. Luckily I had my little overhanging roof of my shed to stay dry

8AA0BF46-7994-4526-9407-5867720FA98F.jpeg

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Same here - rain and strong winds for a couple of minutes, then gone.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Got a few plants in and 6 bags of topsoil before the apocalyptic rain started.
With the new mini diggers

20200523_152108.jpg
20200523_152057.jpg

Couple of real showy grasses for the beach area.

20200523_152133.jpg

20200523_152136.jpg

Last edited:
"In the never ending quest to find something to do," I sorted out our "rose patio" (former koi pool).

P1040064.JPG

It has flags laid on sand on top of 20 tonnes of eco-friendly hardcore.

It drains well, but I get annoyed with the weeds that tend to grow in the sand and soil that ends up in the gap between the flags and the perimeter rocks. I have to scrape or brush them out now and again dodging round the rose pots.
So I decided I'd cement in this gap. But this would mean in a heavy downpour, there might be some standing water as although at the moment the water drains between the flags, over time soil will end up with this sand and thus it might become less porous.
So I cemented around the perimeter but put in about a dozen drain tubes made from short bits of alkathene pipe. Didn't take more than a couple of hours. Just needs a bit of a brush over tomorrow when the cement has gone off.

P1040196.JPG

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Decided to keep one grape and have put up a wire system to keep it in check and tight at all times.

wire.jpg

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Anyone recognise the grass type these seeds are from? I stole them on the dog walk this morning, to plant in my garden. I like the insect look they have.

2AB04AC4-0B99-44A8-A85B-9C9786672F52.jpeg

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
On the subject of "thingy."

On a holiday in North Wales many years ago, I told my kids that on this particular day we were going to visit Caernarfon Castle. To which the eldest replied. "Isn't that where whatshisname got thingied?"
I thought that was at Conwy Castle

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member