Official Freesat Box: DNLA/uPnP client?

SonofRojBlake

Novice Member
I have a Humax 1100s Freesat recorder. It works fine. It also allows me to stream films from the hard drive on my PC on my home network, because it has a DNLA/uPNP(?) client and the computer is the server. I also sometimes use the PS4 as a client and stream from that. Cool. Now that I have, with some help from this forum, made it work consistently, it's really good.

My mum wants to ditch Sky, and I suggested a box just like mine... except you can't get those any more (not new anyway). So the question, both for her and for me if I need to replace the box I have:

Does the new "official" Freesat RECORDER box come with a DNLA client?

I.e. can I stream from my PC's hard drive over my home network to the new Freesat box?

I have asked this question on Amazon but the answers I got could be split into three categories:
1. people not answering the question ("I sent mine back!". Literally just those four words in response to the question above.)
2. people answering a different question ("You can't use it as a DNLA server."/"It won't stream films from the hard drive of another freesat box.")
3. people taking time out of their day to tell me they didn't know the answer to my question. Thanks.

logiciel

Maybe they don’t know what “a DNLA/uPNP(?) client” is? I don’t.:D

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Plex or similar server on a PC or NAS and a suitable smart TV or a Chromecast TV or similar player are probably cheaper and better solutions than using a feature via a PVR?
Such players will also do catchup etc.,. that the Arris box supports.

The long thread on the box here must be worth reading to see if it's been covered? New generation Freesat STB - Arris

Or ask the box specifiers (freesat)? Help & Support | Freesat

What you want here isn't a mainstream user requirement.

SonofRojBlake

Novice Member
Am I just asking the question wrong or something?

By DNLA/UPnP client I mean a box that can see and play media stored on shared drives on my home network (the drives being shared by a DNLA server). I repeat - the Humax box I have can do this. It has a Media Player option. The PS4 can do it too.

I already have "Plex or similar server on a PC" set up and working with the old Humax box - it's there in my original post here:

"It also allows me to stream films from the hard drive on my PC on my home network, because it has a DNLA/uPNP(?) client and the computer is the server"

It's very easy and just works. I thus have ONE box that allows me to view and rewind and record freesat, do catchup (iPlayer etc.) AND with the same remote watch films I've got stored on the hard drive of my PC. I can't see how adding a box and another remote to this setup makes it cheaper or better. Once I switch on the TV, I only need the Freesat remote to
(a) play live TV
(b) rewind and pause live TV
(c) record TV
(d) do iPlayer and other catchup
(e) play movies I've got on my hard drive.

It may not be a "mainstream user requirement" but an answer to the simple question "does the new box have this feature the old box had that I use" doesn't seem like it would be this hard to get an answer to.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
It may not be a "mainstream user requirement" but an answer to the simple question "does the new box have this feature the old box had that I use" doesn't seem like it would be this hard to get an answer to.
I don't know and can't be bothered to do the research for you. Google will find you the various threads on the box and what people have found out about it.

Have you read the thread I linked to yet?

has the answer.

NO.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Maybe they don’t know what “a DNLA/uPNP(?) client” is? I don’t.:D

Allows viewing of recordings made on a pvr on other kit on the same network. wirelessly.

This can be A PC, Smart TV's IOS and Android mobile kit like smart phones and tablets.

This requires a DLNA server. to send the content and a client to view it.

Suspect the OP would have to not use a genuine freesat box but rather one of the multituner DVB-S2 pvrs using the enigma 2 android system. These can combine terrestrial and satellite recordings into a single list, and stream them over a home network to suitable client devices.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom