Official answer from Hitachi RE: HD and 7200 Alis screens.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Badger0-0, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I got fed up with the "is the ALIS screen HD compatible??" question, so mailed them and got this:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that the ALIS Screens used are HD compatible.
    The Alis screens can output 1024 lines for each frame. I believe the confusion is occurring due to ALIS being interlaced. This means it will output 512 ODD lines and then 512 EVEN lines, making a total of 1024.
    The plasmas also meet the EICTA standard.

You will see the HD Logo on Brochures etc, but note that the panels are not sold with the HD logo sticker on it.

I apologise for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction this matter may have caused you but trust that the above information has helped to clarify the situation.

Regards

Consumer Affairs Team
    Hitachi (Europe) Ltd
    England, UK.

Doesn't tell us anything new, but does explain why no HD logo :smashin:

So to sum up, it's HD Ready.

2. kkontour

kkontour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure if this means its HD Ready. Hitachi dont specifically mention HD Ready, There is a difference.

3. AndreiM

AndreiM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has been a lot of arguments about the Hitachi PD5200H and its Hi Def Compatability Vs the Standard 5200 and support of 720p at 50hz. I got this response from Hitachi which hopefully puts the matter to rest.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

The difference between the 5200E and the 5200H is as follows. The 5200 can accept 1080i @ 50 / 60 and 720p @60. The 5200H can also accept 720p @ 50 through the DVI input only. It is HD Compatible.

I apologise for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction this matter may have caused you but trust that the above information has helped to clarify the situation.

Regards

Consumer Affairs Team
    Hitachi (Europe) Ltd
    England, UK.

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    The mail says it meets the EICTA standard.
    Says it all IMO.
    I think it will be OK, np :smashin:

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I'm confused by the 7200 and alis. I understand what alis is and accept it's strengths and weaknesses.

Where I am confused is that nowhere on hitachi's web site is the 7200 described as an alis display.

If you go to this link and click on the Picturemaster Advanced processor link from that, it says the following:
    Whereas for every other screen it mentions alis. Does this mean that the screen is not alis? Or is it as someone mentioned somewhere else that it is still processing odd and even lines but doing it twice as fast to give a proper frame every 50th/60th of a second?

Seems strange that just about every other brochure or data sheet for every other model specifically mentions alis but not this one. Has everybody just assumed it to be an alis display because of the resolution and the fact that all their other screens use this technology?

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its defo alis, and it probably processes in progressive then splits it into two fields of 512 lines etc. not sure on that tho, and it seems strange they dont mention alis :confused:

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I notice that neither the product brochure or manual mention ALIS at all. Perhaps Hitachi have just decided they no longer need to say it's an ALIS panel when, lets be honest, 99% of people buying one don't care.

John

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    John, I'm sure you are right. And the Hitachi HD ready thing has been done to death. 5200H cannot carry the logo due to lack of 720/50 support on compoent video, though it does accept it on HDMI/DVI connections, I have seen it work. So it's sky HD compatible. 7200, that can wear the badge with pride, stuff alis, the workings of the screen are irrelevant to HD ready or not, it's only accepted signals and vertical resolution. I feel Hitachi do not help themselves very much, we'd likely all be happier if it didn't appear so often that they are hiding something. Their response to Badger is too general, they could do ith some detailed statement I suppose, but I guess it's all in the individual screen manuals. You could download them all and read them! There, they are way ahead of all the competition, I don't know of any other AV company that makes that so easy.

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    It still doesn't explain what is meant by the new 1024 progressive scanning system though. Making a point of saying it's a progressive scanning system makes it sound to me like you are getting a proper progressive and non-interlaced display. So even if the system is doing it twice as fast as an old ALIS, the net result is the same as you'd get on any other progressive screen, ie 1 frame every 50th of a second.

Or not? :confused:

Anybody got an email address for Hitachi? I could only find ones for service.

10. efendi

efendi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... Read that, and the sentence is "new 1024 Progressive Processing system up-scales incoming signals, adding extra pixels to create unparalleled sharpness and detail to our HDTV ready panels". Nothing weird, IMO, every plasma AFAIK processes internally the progressive way, and this one is indeed a newly designed system (Picture Master and so on), so what is the point? :confused:

Petr

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    The point is that it's new to this model, so must somehow be different to what has been on Hitachis models before. Each previous product brochure mentions ALIS and give an example of how the picture is made.

All I'm saying is that if they are now processing progressively, there are none of the drawbacks that were there in the previous ALIS models. You are right that every plasma processes in this way, except with regard to ALIS screens which were processed 512 odd lines, then 512 even lines much like an interlaced TV picture.

12. efendi

efendi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I don't think so. Even ALIS screens do scale in the deinterlaced form as that is much simpler, so they have to deinterlace first as every other plasma does (yes, there is no proof of that though). Only the final stage of displaying is done their own way as you rightly pointed out (2x512) - a full frame in every 1/30th of second. There will definitively be some differences in the internal processing on this and on the older models, but IMO this rule should be common :)

Petr

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Agreed, but what I'm wondering is if this new 1024 Progressive Processing system means that it gives final processing of a full frame every 1/60th of a second.

I would email them but can't see a suitable address. Don't want to have correspondance with someone there that might hazzard a guess. :)

14. efendi

efendi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Understand, and again, don't think so :nono: . It would become e-Alis then, and in addition every review I've seen called it "Alis screen". Hitachi would be proud to introduce it as something really different if it would actually be ;) .

But hey, you'll see what their answer will be, good luck :smashin:

Petr

15. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Every review I've seen also refers to it as an ALIS screen, which again leads me back to the point that Hitachi don't seem to refer to it as such and have the reviewers made assumptions?

I don't know, just need to find the relevant email address.

At the end of the day it makes little difference to me, I have ordered a 7200 based on what I have seen with my own eyes and the price at which I could get it. I'm just interested in the technology behind it and am enjoying the discussions :) .

16. efendi

efendi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So as I :) Got 42PD5200, considered it as a good screen except the blacks and HD compatibility (which annoys me much more). Think the 7200 should be better in every respect, though...

Alis has a problematic :D reputation among the people; that can be a reason why Hitachi does not explicitly state that 7200 is of the same sort, although in fact it is.

Regarding the address, try to ask the guys who asked them before (Badger O-O or so), maybe they'll help ;)

Bye

Petr

17. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Well that would definately make sense and I can believe that. :D

18. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Well, that link says it's HD ready, unlike the corespondence from hitachi, which says it's HD compatible. Either way mine looks pretty good, but, this has raised a question for me. It says it's a progressive screen, so should i use the interlaced or progressive option on my player? I personally see very little to no difference anyway. Also, if it 'upscales' images, would there be any point me buying a scaler for my DVD player, and can a scaler really work if you can't put in whats not already there?

Sorry if this seems off topic

19. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hey .. forget the paralysis by analysis and go and see one set up properly !!!

Its HD ready ... end of :thumbsup:

I've had one for 2 months and it looks incredible .. picture and style.

Your all just procrastinating like I did.

I spent a month tossing coins between the 7200 and the PV500.

Heads it was and I'm 100% happy ... zero regrets :smashin:

20. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Who wrote that email though? Was it someone who knows what's what or just a customer service person responding to a customers question. The word compatable could easily be used by anyone to suggest that it does what's needed. Go to a store and ask if the PV500 is HD compatable and the sales guy will say yes. I think that sometimes because we are knowledgable on these things we read too much into off the cuff correspondance like this. An email from a customer service employee should not be taken as gospel from any company, especially when it's just this one word.

I recently saw an Hitachi advert in a home cinema mag for the 7200 and the advert shows the HD ready logo. Hitachi's web site also shows the HD Ready logo : http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=464&drilldown=1&urlnumber=4
    The product features section on the site also states HD TV ready. The screen exceeds the standard of at least 720 lines and can accept all of the required signals. Safe to say it's HD ready!