Office set up PC/DAC/Preamp/Active Speakers

Tommykldn

Novice Member
Reaction score
Whilst I have some working knowledge of home AV its only been from trial and error and youtube/forum reading - as you will read have large gaps in knowledge!

I’ve been using (actually enjoying mostly) a small Chinese amp from amazon (Lepy LP-2020A) with two of the larger Boston Acoustics soundware surround speakers from my old home cinema 5.1 as I was fortunate enough to upgrade to a Naim mu-so 2 last year- this is used under the TV and for streaming Spotify/Radio

This setup I’m currently looking to put together is from my pc in my office/workshop which happens to be in a old pub cellar – large foot print but low ceilings so ‘interesting’ acoustically 50% of my time will be at desk the rest moving around the space for hobbies/ work inc woodworking/home gym.

I treated myself to a DACMAGIC 100 which is currently connected from the PC into the Lepy with a QED usb and .6M phono cables respectively this was intended as the first step on the path to enjoying a better music experience.

Budget is less of an issue but don’t see advantage/need of spending more than another £600 for speakers/cable/preamp but am confused about requirements (indeed need for a pre-amp) other than to be able to manually control the volume of the active speakers…

Ive read a thread suggesting a Yamaha streaming preamp but don’t get why necessary if the source is a PC?

On that basis currently looking to purchase (after reading some threads on here) a pair of Focal evo 50s and potentially a Tisbury Passive Preamp.

I’m going to look into ripping some old CDs to FLAC (during unfortunately what I assume will be more lockdowns early next year) so planning ahead (just) for what will be spare time at home.

I have a few further related questions…
My friend is really happy with Roon, but not convinced what Id use it for – can anyone shed any light?
I tried Tidal and didn’t get on with it, having used Spotify for years should I give it another go for better quality?
My current Boston speakers are wall mounted – should I look into stands? I know the focals come with decoupling rubber pads would they be ‘fine’ desk or shelf mounted around PC screen?

Sorry of this is boring or has been re-hashed but thought Id ask as seems to be a lot of solid advice here

The ifi zen dac would have been a good choice for DAC and preamp as it has usb input, RCA outputs and volume knob, also has headphone jacks.

What music player are you using on the pc? I would suggest installing logitech media server on your pc (might need squeezelite-x also) as you can then use your phone to control the music whilst further away from your desk. It also allows for spotify integration using the spotty plugin.

In addition to above, if only using pc as a source, you can just use the volume control on pc as opposed to a preamp. Also using the logitech media server and associated app you can use your phone to control volume of the music.

Hi

Thanks for your quick response!! I only use VLC at present but thanks for recomendation will look into that - tbh I thin the spotify app via mobile is pretty handy which in part was confusion for why people had recommended a streaming pre amp...

Many thanks

Hi

Thanks for your quick response!! I only use VLC at present but thanks for recomendation will look into that - tbh I thin the spotify app via mobile is pretty handy which in part was confusion for why people had recommended a streaming pre amp...

Many thanks
Logitech media server (LMS) has a bit of a learning curve, but is worth it and loads here use it so can offer help if needed. I use spotify app on my phone, but at home have the spotty app in LMS as works better for my setup.

Can't comment on the preamp I'm afraid. Others will hopefully be able to offer more advice on that aspect.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom