Office Music Server

The Atheist

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been tasked with setting up a centralised music system at work and I'm hoping to use our main server (running Windows Server 2008 R2) as the main source. This could be anything from Spotify to Soundcloud to music stored locally with a basic speaker setup plugged straight into the server (need to check for audio ports, this may be upgraded to a Sonos or similar down the line). What I hope to achieve is a setup that will enable anyone in the office to control the music remotely on laptops over WiFi or desktops with wired connections without needing to go via a Remote Desktop Connection (which is what I currently do).

First of all, does this even sound feasible on Windows Server and if so what apps/media software should I look at to enable this to work? Once I have something working for locally stored music I'll look at adding streaming services.

Thanks in advance

Is something like XMBC controllable remotely? Is the server just the source and control or is it the audio system as well? For example I have all my music on my server but it's played from a Squeezebox. Incidentally there's newer versions of that and with plugins it works with a variety of streaming sources. I've not fully investigated what though :)

Oh yeah you might want to look at stuff that limits the number of additions etc per person, or you end up with a couple of people in the office that hog the playlist. Not that that ever happened where I worked....honest ;)

Logitech Media Server will do what you want & is free. It can be controlled by a browser or tablet/phone app.

With the addition of SqueezePlay, each PC on the network would become a player as well if that was a requirement.

LMS

SqueezePlay

But your query would be better off in this forum.

Thanks both, I will have a look at Logitech Media Server. I've heard of this before, actually been looking at similar for home use. Does the remote/browser connection work ok on Mac?

But your query would be better off in this forum.

I wondered about that, but thought it was more hardware than software. Mods - please move if the other forum would be more applicable :smashin:

Thanks both, I will have a look at Logitech Media Server. I've heard of this before, actually been looking at similar for home use. Does the remote/browser connection work ok on Mac?
The server's web interface should be accessible from any web browser. It's on port 9000 by default so you just point the browser at the server's IP address:9000. The port no. can be changed if it conflicts with anything else.

Looks like there is a Mac version of the player emulator.

[ANNOUNCE] SqueezePlay for Mac OSX

Web browser works a treat, thanks. Only problem I have now is that our server doesn't have an audio out on it... had a feeling that may be the case. Any ideas on a simple solution for adding audio outputs to an office server? Failing that I guess the next best option is to get an LMS compatible bridge/receiver that we can plug into our speakers?

Cheap USB DAC?

Note that you'll also need SqueezePlayer on the server as LMS can't output directly. Not sure I'd do this with a business server but would probably set up an old PC as a dedicated music server.

Oh & don't forget your PRS licence.

Ah yes, good point. If I go that route I'll make sure to install SqueezePlayer too. I hear what you're saying about using it on a business server, but it's already taking up enough of my time setting it up without trying to run it on a standalone machine... I'll look at doing this further down the line :smashin:

Looking at SqueezeBoxes on the 'bay at the moment, I figure something like the SqueezeBox V3/Classic/Duet/Touch would work a treat? Are the earlier models still compatible with LMS? If I can get something of that ilk for cheap then takes any extra effort out of it for me :clap:

Any of the Squeezeboxes will work, maybe even the Radio & Boom if the space it needs to fill isn't too big. Saves worrying about amplification & speakers then. Only problem being the prices they fetch second hand now. If it's still available there was an SB3 for sale in the classifieds here recently.

If you buy a Duet make sure you get the Controller with it as they're bit of a bugger to set up without.

Worth noting that you can sync players so maybe a couple of Radios would help with sound distribution. You can even set them as a stereo pair.

Congratulations on getting everyone to agree on choice of music.

If I were forced to listen to what other people like for much of the day, it would drive me demented.

Got your PPL licence?

Haha, we've certainly had our fair share of clashes when it comes to music! Hoping giving everyone access to the playlist (and having a massive library of music) will reduce people's need to complain :D

Will worry about the license if we ever get a system set up. Difficult thing about buying secondhand is getting something within budget. I managed to get an original squeezebox for home use for less than £20 but the WiFi doesn't work, defeating the point a little :(

I managed to get an original squeezebox for home use for less than £20 but the WiFi doesn't work, defeating the point a little :(
WiFi was optional on the original so it may not have a card fitted. It's a mini PCI but needs to conform to the inbuilt drivers so only specific cards work. May be worth opening it up for a look it case the card needs reseating. Also IIRC, the original only supported low security WEP & not WPA.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom