Office issue, related to Microsoft Services Agreement?

Christoc

Hi

My dad has contacted me to say his office (Word mainly he uses) is not working properly.

I'm not yet able to go over and see for myself what is the problem, so i dont have much to go on or share... other than it has come to light that he received an email from Microsoft about accepting the Service Agreement that i am wondering if it could be related.

The email was sent at end of april. It says "The updates to the Microsoft Services Agreement will take effect on 15 Ju‍ne 20‍21. If you continue to use our products and services on or after 15 Ju‍ne 20‍21, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement."

So that implies to me you accept just by continuing to use the product (which he is attemptong to do)... in which case this email is perhaps a red herring as to why hhis MS applications are not working. I thought perhaps there was an "agree" button he needs to click.

Suggestions welcomed!

Full email:

Your Services Agreement made clearer​

Hello,
You’re receiving this email because we are updating the Microsoft Services Agreement, which applies to one or more Microsoft products or services you use. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover new Microsoft products, services and features.
The Microsoft Services Agreement is an agreement between you and Microsoft (or one of its affiliates) that governs your use of Microsoft consumer online products and services.
You can read the entire Microsoft Services Agreement here. You can also learn more about these updates on our FAQs page here, including a summary of the most notable changes. The updates to the Microsoft Services Agreement will take effect on 15 Ju‍ne 20‍21. If you continue to use our products and services on or after 15 Ju‍ne 20‍21, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement.
If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before these terms become effective. If you are a parent or guardian, you are responsible for your child’s or teenager’s use of Microsoft products and services, including purchases.
Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

I don't think so - isn't this just an update to the terms and conditions, the fact that it relates to software your having an issue with is an unfortunate coincidence.

One of those things you just ignore in general.

outoftheknow

I agree - continued use is all you need to do. I wouldn’t click a link in that kind of email anyway and I think they know most won’t.

Christoc

I have some further info... he says when he clicks to open Excel or PowerPoint it says "updating office".
He says the MS subscription for office was taken in jan so he should still have a valid license.
any thoughts appreciated!

outoftheknow

Updating usually means just that. Usually the software goes into hopeless mode when a licence runs out. You can read stuff but can’t edit/save.

does he have an Office 365 licence? He can check the validity of that online in his account.

can he expand on what he means by not working properly?

Christoc

Updating usually means just that. Usually the software goes into hopeless mode when a licence runs out. You can read stuff but can’t edit/save.

does he have an Office 365 licence? He can check the validity of that online in his account.

can he expand on what he means by not working properly?

He hasnt given me too much useful information to go on! only really that when he clicks to open Excel or PowerPoint it says "updating office".

Yes he is saying he got charged in Jan from MS. so i believe that to be for his office apps. is it all Office 365 nowadays (I seem to recall 'Home' edition etc). But yes it should be his office apps.
How can he check that/ can i check it remotely if i get his email access?

thanks!

outoftheknow

If you have his MS account login and password you can login to his Office 365 online account. If he was charged though chances are that end is ok.

he can try a repair, or even an uninstall and install. If he has plenty of installs left there is no need to get complicated trying to manage what has used an install.

Christoc

If you have his MS account login and password you can login to his Office 365 online account. If he was charged though chances are that end is ok.

he can try a repair, or even an uninstall and install. If he has plenty of installs left there is no need to get complicated trying to manage what has used an install.
Thanks- I agree, will do the basics and get him to try a repair.

more the “installs left” comment- what does that mean? Don’t you either have the license or not… or can you install office on multiple machines with one license?

outoftheknow

Ah sorry - you can buy say a family version that has 6 installs. That’s all I get so I don’t even know how a single licence goes - he will see in the account what he has bought and where it is installed (computer name). If only one install allowed he will have to uninstall (rather tha.n repair) and then install. I reckon install from the account page is best.

Christoc

Ah sorry - you can buy say a family version that has 6 installs. That’s all I get so I don’t even know how a single licence goes - he will see in the account what he has bought and where it is installed (computer name). If only one install allowed he will have to uninstall (rather tha.n repair) and then install. I reckon install from the account page is best.
Ah i see. thanks very much!
just to clarify, do you mean try repair if he only has one install? as wont that mean he has already used his one install?

outoftheknow

You can un register the one device in the online account from memory. Then uninstall on the PC. Then install from the online account.

outoftheknow

You are welcome - glad it is sorted :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom