1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

offerred replacement 28PW6518

Discussion in 'TVs' started by micks_address, Dec 9, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

I have a two year old 28PW6515 28" philips ws tv. The tube has gone in it and philips have offered me a new 28PW6518 for 250 euro.. is this a good deal or should i stand my ground for something better?

is the 28PW6518 a good tv? any comments appreciated as i have to let them know tomorrow

Cheers,
    Mick

2. radium

radium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i'm not an expert mate, but since the manufacture's gaurantee is up (1 year) i think they dont have to give you nothing so maybe you can try and get the price down a little for yourself or ask them to throw in a 3 year guarantee with it?

ps i'm amazed (in this day and age) they admitted they were partially responsible cause they could have told you to f off.

you would then have had to pursue them in courts.

incidentally did you have to do a lot of arguing with them ???

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    tv being giving trouble for months and all the repair guys i talked to and described what was happening.. blue screen with colours and then switch off... they automatically said tube... so i knew the story

we replaced the tv a few months ago and i was getting ready to head to the dump with it last week when i said id give one last call to anothe repair guy.. they turned out to be philips agents and he said if it is the tube then philips would cover the cost of the tube and i would just have to pay the labour costs... roughly 180 euro..

i left the tv in to the shop on saturday and they phoned me today to verify it was the tube and that the shop had contacted philips. The best philips would do was pay for half the cost of the tube and my bill would then come to 500 euro... this didnt make much sense seeing a new tv... the updated 28PW6518 cost 500 in the shops here.. The tv repair guy said i should phone philips myself and kick up a fuss about it...

when i thought it over i said to the service department since they were paying half the cost of a tube... 250ish that it didnt make sense for me to pay another 500 and would they give me the 250 off a new tv.. they agreed to this so i'm happy enough...

it would have cost me 180 even if they had covered the cost of the tube just for the repair job so i suppose now i'll have a new tv for just 70 euro more....

Anway hopefully the tv works out ok.. i'm having a stressful day :( lnb fell off sky dish and sky cant come to fix until next friday :( just got sky plus installed last monday and they obviously left out a screw or two :( ah well you win some you loose some

cheers,
    mick

4. radium

radium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thats a good deal then m8 but a tv should last longer than 2 years, i'm sitting her with a crappy akura 20in 4:3 tv but its lasted, its about 15 years old now and never needed a repair (well thats not exactly true for the last 3 years since i got ntl digital theres been aound 20 white lines running horizontaly along the top of the picture, then moving to the centre of the screen if i was to use the analogue signal, which for obvious reasons i dont lol)

anyway goodluck with your new tv hope everything goes well for you.

i myself am thinking about the jvc on offer at allders HV28P37 brilliant at dvds supposedly but picture quality on tv could be better but then again all sets with digital processing features seem to have similar problems so for £399 this is going to be my baby

5. robworcs

robworcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funnily i have just had the blue screen and switch off on a 28PW6515 (3 years old). The repair guy also said new tube reqd but wanted money to write a report to use in in discussions with Philips. Shame really - he would of had the repair / replacement business if he wasnt such a money grabber. Now he has nothing!
    Anyone got the phone number for Philips to argue this?
    It shows error code 1 but service manual states that could be several causes.

cheers

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I have a number for philips in dublin but thats probably not much use... i got my replacement last week and its installed in the bedroom... my 28PW6515 was just about 18 months when it started giving trouble switching off/blue screen etc.. You might get no luck from philips cause they ask you for the serial number of the tv if you try to bluff date of purchase... they estimate from the serial number - gives them a six week window from manufacture to purchase... still though the guy on the phone did agree the set could be sitting in a shop for ages before its sold...

i'm going filling out the extended tube warranty that came with the 28PW6518... its 29 euro for 5 years which given experience seems like a worthwhile investment!

Cheers,
    Mick

7. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 28PW6517 and to be honest the 'FISHBOWL' effect was terrible on the right hand side and the geometry was WAY off.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND - don't know about the 6518 which is an updated version so I can't help with that model.

Sorry !

8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    HI yes i remember the fish bowl effect being crap on my 28PW6515 but the geometry on this set it pretty good.. the only thing slightly annoying me now is the 50hrz flicker.. i only notice it because we have a 100 hrz set down stairs so its very apparent when watch the 50 hert tv