Offered Onkyo TNXR-626 for trashed TXSR875

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rich56, Feb 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rich56

Rich56
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was offered Onkyo TNXR-626 for trashed TXSR875 by Richer Sounds (caused by the courier dropping it when I sent in for repair - not Richer sounds themselves) the reviews of the TNXR-626 seem reasonable (and the TX-SR875 was getting on a bit) but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this? Be glad to hear from anyone.

Thanks

Richard

2. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    The 875 was a few levels above the 626 so you may find it wont sound as good as the 875

3. chimpo07

chimpo07
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 828/929 would be more of an equivalent, the amps in the 626 aren't going to be as good as on the 875. I'd see if they'd let you pay something towards it and get one of those.

4. Rich56

Rich56
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers I might try that. I'm not sure what the legal position is as to liability etc but the 875 being old was not worth much but on the other hand should they replace it with an amp of a similar nature?

5. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I was kind of in a similar position as my older OnkyoTX-NR609 was deemed unrepairable, and because the RS 5 year warranty says that they will replace with like for like IE similar quality, and the AV receiver market moves on at a pace, so I was offered a 626 which was deemed as being equal to the 609, but due to the failure I was not going to take another Onkyo,
    So asked about just adding some cash for an upgrade, listened to a couple of others and decided on the Sony STR-DN1040, and was expecting to pay another £100-120, but to my pleasant surprise the manager just said he would do a straight swap over as I had originally paid £450 for the 609 two years ago, so I was chuffed, but I guess it all depends on the manager,
    Mind you I kind of made up for it by buying a new sub.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,044
    You may have difficulty fascilitating the same levels via a 626 if you've a large room or if you were powering difficult to power speakers? The like for like model in terms of amplification would be the TXNR828 or 727 and not the 626 despite the additional features associated with the 626 that are not apparent onboard the 875.

7. Rich56

Rich56
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies I subsequently auditioned the 626 and it seemed ok and so I agreed to it as I the set up is now in a smaller room. It's now set up with my Q acoustics Q-AV speakers and seems to be great. The wi-fi bit of it was a bonus as I do listen to the radio a lot. I could have pushed for a higher amp but I've had the 875 for some 7-8 years now and as I was thinking of replacing it any way (albeit not for a top of the range model) I think I've done ok (I got a free5 year guarantee and he's going to do a deal on a deck for me :)

8. kwacker9

kwacker9
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hope you're liking the NR626 !, this is on my short list currently :) , how's the sound/setup ?